When you're supposed to be on a Firewire but the paint washes off your board...

Feb 18, 2024
I live in west Oz and I can remember seeing(10+ years ago)a couple of fw boards wth his name on them that were wayyy too anorexic to be stock. This is back when they made the balsa parabolic rail stringer things. I was under the strong impression that they did do some custom work, at least in that tech. The boards were probably a few years old when I saw them though…
The friend I was referring to Earlier had several Custom made FireWires they also had rail stringers

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
wonder what bert and josh would think of what all this has become?

Attachments

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
wonder what bert and josh would think of what all this has become?
And Wildy (Greg Wilde) whose personal tandem fin build you showed. They were the 3 australians recruited by Firewire for their tech and industry knowledge. Josh is no longer in the surfboard industry and now in the teaching profession. Every now and then he will do some amazing airbrush artwork for a local pu/pe manufacturer.

To answer previous speculation Josh did build boards for Taj Burrow in the early firewire tech - perimeter stringer, sandwich skinned, in the Thailand factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: surfwhere

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
And Bert is still doing his balsa builds under his Sunova brand out of his factory by the sea in Khao Lak, Thailand. Surfboards made by Thai surfers by the Thai sea. Interesting point of difference from the made for Joe Average Firewires with the Sunova and Josh Dowling boards is the refinement in the shapes. Their boards always came down on the thin side with very little bulk in the rails as you can see in the pics.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
And Bert is still doing his balsa builds under his Sunova brand out of his factory by the sea in Khao Lak, Thailand. Surfboards made by Thai surfers by the Thai sea. Interesting point of difference from the made for Joe Average Firewires with the Sunova and Josh Dowling boards is the refinement in the shapes. Their boards always came down on the thin side with very little bulk in the rails as you can see in the pics.
yup, Bert's "Magic Carpet" shown (which I always want tried to build) was less than 2 inches thick.
Allot of "wild" stories about the formation of that company and what happened after the IP was shared (I warned bert about the investor community). One of those guys should do a book. Speed Needle's airbrushes were always the best. I believe wildy move to colorado after his firewire tenure.
Miss those guys and those early compsand years.

My feeble attempt at a Magic Carpet 1.75" thick with foam fins skinned with japanese washi paper.
impossible to paddle in but an amazing feeling (flex) once you did. bert once said if you keep it thin enough the concave deck would transform and change the bottom contour because of the flex and perimeter stinger.

fun experimental days gone past

Attachments

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
IMG_0679.jpeg