When Trump is re-elected in 2020.....

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
GDaddy said:
Sharkbiscuit said:
GDaddy said:
his biggest challenge is that he made a lot of promises that neither he nor anyone else could possibly keep.
This.

Edit: I think Bush sh!t the bed pretty early in his 2nd term.

Wrong Bush. Bush41 was still at ~50% going into 1992.

If you think back to that era, the main stream media was going above and beyond to drive Bush's poll numbers down. Second only to their efforts to destroy Trump. The thing is Trump won't roll over and take it the way Bush did.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
trevorbc said:
GDaddy said:
I think Bush41s previous ratings were due in part to the first Gulf War and other foreign policy, not to mention him being Reagan's Veep. But that stuff didn't matter a year later when Bubba came back with "it's the economy, stupid", which turned out to be a really successful strategy.

As for the media, all GOP candidates are Hitler so there's nothing new about that.

The point being that regardless of the reason, its possible for the opinions of the electorate to flip in just a few months.
Not all GOP candidates are hitler. McCain no, Romney no, neither Bushes (Dick Cheney getting closer but still no), etc. etc. Trump’s rhetoric on the other hand matches that of other authoritarians. So...
Obama was more Hitler than any president in our lifetimes if you really want to go there.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What is weird too is, barring any catastrophe due to his leadership, I won't really be hurt my trump's presidency.

I just feel bad for the country.

-High empath out!

What is double weird is my friend who is a trump guy is paying more for materials for his company due to trump's tariff war and he doesn't care.

He's totally under trump's spell.

I think he likes his xenophobia and insult comic bluster.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Politics isn't about what the situation actually is, but about what people think it is. Which is why it's worthwhile for both sides to duke it out in the media.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
GromsDad said:
trevorbc said:
GDaddy said:
I think Bush41s previous ratings were due in part to the first Gulf War and other foreign policy, not to mention him being Reagan's Veep. But that stuff didn't matter a year later when Bubba came back with "it's the economy, stupid", which turned out to be a really successful strategy.

As for the media, all GOP candidates are Hitler so there's nothing new about that.

The point being that regardless of the reason, its possible for the opinions of the electorate to flip in just a few months.
Not all GOP candidates are hitler. McCain no, Romney no, neither Bushes (Dick Cheney getting closer but still no), etc. etc. Trump’s rhetoric on the other hand matches that of other authoritarians. So...
Obama was more Hitler than any president in our lifetimes if you really want to go there.
I’ll certainly go there. However, at this point I think it is more accurate to talk about authoritarian tendencies rather than hitler. You believe Obama had these tendencies? Please explain. Or if it is easier for you give me the comparison to Hitler.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Trump just signed an EO tasking the colleges that accept federal funds to protect the 1A rights on campus. Fkg dictator.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
GDaddy said:
Trump just signed an EO tasking the colleges that accept federal funds to protect the 1A rights on campus. Fkg dictator.
Except the EO is about neo-fash garbage that his base consists of, who is not being able to have a soapbox at the universities so they can spread hatred and intolerance that Trump regurgitates on Twitter daily.

Forcing universities to give these fuckheads a podium is not freedom.

I thought you hated government telling you what to do.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
GDaddy said:
You’re smarter than that. No dictator comes into power without pandering to a group of brainwashed minions. I bet Trump doesn’t even own a gun. I know his children do or do they just rent them when they get to Africa? Why do you think Trump has chosen this group to pander to?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
You say it's all about hate speech now, but these protections apply just as much to the fkg communists as to political conservatives.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
trevorbc said:
GDaddy said:
You’re smarter than that. No dictator comes into power without pandering to a group of brainwashed minions. I bet Trump doesn’t even own a gun. I know his children do or do they just rent them when they get to Africa? Why do you think Trump has chosen this group to pander to?
You and I are both smarter than that. Which is precisely the point. Trump talks a lot of sht and he has no filter (which I hate), but that doesn't mean he's going to do something like enable the state to shove an insurance mandate down your throat whether you want it or not.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
FecalFace said:
BillyOcean said:
Both Bushes got taken down by media

They let themselves be defined by media instead of fighting back like trump
It's always the media's fault for reporting the shitty things that the corrupt shitheads do.

Fvcking insane.
The media defined HW Bush as a wimp

This is absurd if you know his history but people bought it

Imagine if he had attacked them personally like Trump does

Probably Trump’s biggest insight was to treat media directly as opposition

They are, he was just the first to openly acknowledge it

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
trevorbc said:
BillyOcean said:
Both Bushes got taken down by media

They let themselves be defined by media instead of fighting back like trump
Have you considered that both bushes defined themselves by their actions and the media just reported it?
Let me think about it

Ok, I did— grossly naive

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
trevorbc said:
GDaddy said:

The comparisons of GWB to Hitler were rampant

The difference was he didn’t fight back

He had class

Trump doesn’t

Turns out having class is a weakness

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
BillyOcean said:
trevorbc said:
GDaddy said:

He had class

Trump doesn’t

Yeah if you are an authoritarian with power as your end game. Thanks for helping me make my point.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
Are you drunk Billy? Let’s put a few back one of these days after work in Boston. :cheers:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
trevorbc said:
BillyOcean said:
trevorbc said:
GDaddy said:

He had class

Trump doesn’t

Yeah if you are an authoritarian with power as your end game. Thanks for helping me make my point.
these guys don’t think Hitler was like Hitler

Wheelhouse

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 13, 2013
GDaddy said:
Campuses were shutting down speakers with alternative thought.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Wheelhouse said:
GDaddy said:
Campuses were shutting down speakers with alternative thought.
Another toothless show for his anti-intellectual base. If that law did have any teeth - which it doesnt - it would not have effect conservatives hope for. Liberal universities like Cal attempt to allow speakers from all viewpoints. A few have been shutdown bc of violent assholes outside of the University’s control. The same cannot be said for Chapman, Oral Roberts, Baylor, Pepperdine, etc. They all receive Federal funds/grants and/or take advantage of Federal student loan programs.