What's Your Number?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
can't say that isn't inspirational.

I wanna surf and I plan to but I'd get more meaning out of helping my kids and hopefully making some kind of contribution greater than fulfilling desires I fulfilled a million times over in my 20's when I could do it better.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Why should they give a flying fook
Age is just a number, same as that fictional number you guys set in your head before you feel you have a right/ability/will to get busy living.

Did not anyone listen to Andy Dufrain, in Shawshank? He was a quiet man, but he was a smart man.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

:shrug:

Ever think that the very things you forgoe to get that number, are what make living a somewhat physical retirement possible?

You reap what you sow, erBB brethern.

Live it while it's still ticking.

Retirement from a world gone crazy, can only ever be seen as the sane mans option.

:cheers::beer:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
My experience with trust funders:

1) In high school, 10th grade, dated daughter of a marine shipping firm operating out of both Seattle and Portland. (For 16th birthday, she had a party on a converted tugboat. Was a grand catered affair, and there was dancing to the latest top 40 hits while hopped up on sugary beverages on bow of the main deck while a few chaperones cooled it in the con.) While she was not floating in money at age 16, she definitely would come into it later.

Then she got grounded for a month because a neighbor told her mom that she had a boy over while mom was out. Her mom called my mom and my mom asked me about it, and like a dodo, told the truth. My mom told me to call her mom and tell the truth, and so I did (while my mom listened on the other line).

While she was grounded, I met Anna at a high school football game. Someone told the shipping magnate's daughter and she called me up and told me to get bent.

I didn't even get to say, "We met at a football game with a bunch of friends, what do you thnk happened?"

When my dad found out that we broke up, he was, "That's a shame, you had a shot at easy street."

Sigh.

2) Am a year in SF and long term girlfriend decides the co-worker is the better bet, so she breaks up with me.

Meet a gal via work friend.

At some point she asks me what I think of her selling some avocado orchards around Escondido that she has. (notice the 's')

"How do you own orchards?

"Dad is a founder of a semi-conductor firm. He diversified when they went public. For tax reasons, he gifted them to me."

Time moves on and it didn't work out.

Am still friends with her and her husband, and will occasionally visit them when I ride the bike up to Twin Peaks and will occasionally have have coffee and breckie snacks with them while looking out to Mt. Tamalpais, GG Bridge, Angel Island, downtown, Bay Bridge.

Boy, I miss that view.

So my take is: they are an unreliable source of monetary fulfilment.

PS

1 What did I do in my previous life to have such crappy bosses?
2 Glad I figured this out on my own.

PPS

1 Anecdotal tales of woe give this thought a big "Nuh-uh."
2 Peace of mind can be priceless, so if money isn't the bigger slice of the pie......
3 Careful your wifey might be been think the same thing about you.:toilet:

Silly Mr. Doof!

Will try in list format, don't expect anything like yours tho:

Re: highschool heiress sweetie pies.... In retrospect:

1-) you left her wondering what getting into Mr. Doof's jeans would have been like. :bowdown:

2-) you should have gone back, decades later, to reap the seed sown. :shameonyou:

3-) for all you know, she had a fond memory of you, despite her having thought wrong at the time. :shrug:

4-) you could be living on easy street, today, like dear old dad mentioned... had you played your cards right. :foreheadslap:

End list.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Me and my high school sweetie pie have been together since '99. :dancing: For me, number 3 & 4. Happily, to top it off..... For now. Never take anything for granted. :cheers::beer:

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Don’t hesitate to put her in a home. Regardless of the down side of a loved one being in a home, it is nothing compared to the havoc in your home if you try to care fore her. If married, your marriage will suffer eventually. You may transfer your anger towards your loved one unintentionally. Check out the local homes, find one near by and do it. Visit, get the doctors OK for her to drink a little wine, bring her some wine and cheese weekly. Be positive with her. Try not to show impatience or anger, get her out in the car if she’s mobile. It will work if your patient and you love her like you would want to be loved when its your turn and, hope your kids are kind as you hope to be…
And don't forget to bring cookies, brownies, cake etc for the nurses and orderlies who will be caring for her. that was a HUGE game changer for my wife's mother. My wife always made sure to grease the wheels with goodwill thank-you treats, and the staff at the state nursing facility treated her mom really well. they may have done so anyway, but i bet the cookies and brownies with every visit went a long way

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If you take good care of yourself and stay in shape and don't get too fat and have some good luck it's quite likely that you can participate in vigorous outdoor activities (surfing, skiing, etc.) well into your 70s. Not at the same level as you could when you were young - nobody surfs slabs or shreds moguls at that age - but still good enough to have fun. Beyond that it's a crapshoot.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
My wife was her aunt's closest living relative. She had been a computer scientist and was at the forefront of developing the pc, or some other important breakthrough. I forgot exactly what she did. Smart lady. She told my wife, who loved her aunt and kept in contact with, "You are my only living relative and my heir"

Wife gets a call from her neighbor who says she went to check on her and found a dead cat in the house. My wife drives up to Carson city, finds she's lost it, and has her put in a board and care joint. She could, and in retrospect should, have driven her back to CA and become her conservator, but she had the court appoint one in Nevada. That person ripped off the estate before claiming to find a distant relative who the aunt left all the assets to. Wife got blanked, except for the stuff left in the house, which I got to haul back to CA in a trailer. I freaking hate Carson city.

QUOTE="llilibel03, post: 3482420, member: 13246"]
I know this sounds really morbid, but does anyone's plan hinge on the previous generation's passing????

I never thought about it much but my 86 year old mother is undergoing a rapid descent into dementia and immobility. Two years ago she was fine but then had a fall and was knocked unconscious. My sisters decided she should not live by herself in a two story house. They moved her out and that's when her condition deteriorated. The isolation of quarantine probabaly didn't help. Then they moved her again to be closer to one of my sister's and she just never settled in. She thinks she' in a hotel. She's basically hallucinating all the time now. She started seeing her long deceased mother. She often thinks I'm there (when she tells my sisters I'm there, I'm always sleeping in the other room :shrug:). It's been really sad to see.
[/QUOTE]

• Wow
Reactions: Mr Doof

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
If I were to retire, I’d want travel, surf and snowboard across the world, see places Ive never seen,
I think I’d need way more money than I do now because all I do is work now, and that doesn’t cost me anything
What an I missing here?

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
"Well, life is too short, so love the one you got
'Cause you might get run over or you might get shot"

My Dad was a beast - great lawyer, Dad, adventurer - he always said live now bc you never know when you might get hit by a truck.

He was run over by a truck and killed on PCH while jogging - the tragic irony but the dude lived life!

I plan on doing the same and continue to chase my "teenage dreams" until the end of my time while being a good person and father (freeride76)

My life goal is to die in my late 80s after getting slammed into the reef at Nias on a double up 8 footer

As far as the number goes? If you focus too much on the number you may not do it until it is too late.

#goals #dreams

Reactions: kawika

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah that’s my dilemma. I love all the things I get to do now, but I have to work 46 weeks a year in a high pressure position to afford it all.

maybe the number really is 8-10 million to retire and still travel and surf and have adventures and live comfortably if I were to stay in the desirable coastal US

Reactions: kawika

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I just retired so am in midst of all this...

One thing that wasn't on my retirement to do list was looking after my mother.

As I said earlier, my own dad died at 58 and his experience was a big motivation for me to retire as early as possible. My mother's father, my grandad, made the cover of our local newspaper because he was still golfing a full round twice a week at 97. He lived near a park and would go for a walk every evening. He lived until 103. He never had dementia. He was active. My mother has lived a very sedentary life. I'm being hyper active and hope to keep surfing for a while longer. I cashed in last week on the biggest perk of retirement- scored uncrowded waves during this last (overhyped) swell. If I had the freedom to surf whenever I wanted while I was working I might have waited...

As far as SSI- I would have gotten a (relatively) decent amount, but as a teacher my "minimum wage pension" qualifies as a "windfall profit" and so it is cut more than in half. So now it's a pittance. Plus, I did the math and the break even point between taking it at 62 vs taking it at 70 was when I'm well into my 80's. No guarantee I even live that long. So I'm not waiting on that either.

As far as leaving something for children. I had pretty much convinced my wife to live on a boat. We could sell our house and get a really nice boat. And I mean really nice. But boats depreciate, houses appreciate. If we did that my daughter would probably never be able to get into the Coastal California housing market. So we decided to make sure we leave her the house. I wouldn't understand a parent who is not in some way looking out for their kids.

Ok. Going for my 13 mile run now. See y'all later...

Reactions: Mr J and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah that’s my dilemma. I love all the things I get to do now, but I have to work 46 weeks a year in a high pressure position to afford it all.

maybe the number really is 8-10 million to retire and still travel and surf and have adventures and live comfortably if I were to stay in the desirable coastal US
Not saying this is necessarily you, but this is a good perspective. A lot of people get addicted to a lifestyle and don't look at the cost: