What's Your Number?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I bought my house when I was 31. Refi'd recently down to 2.5%. Assuming I don't run into some major misfortunes along the way then I should do ok for myself in the long run. I plan to pass the house on to my children since it will likely be impossible for them to purchase in Hawaii when they're older. My house pmt is $1000 less than houses rent for in my neighborhood.

I'm like the previous poster above. I do everything myself because I enjoy it. Fix my cars. Remodel my house. Do yard work. I've been socking away 20% + of my pay per month since I was 19. I don't have expensive cars or go on lavish vacations. My surfboards cost more than my car.

I want to retire and surf, travel, ride motorcycles, etc...I like my job but it is stressful and time consuming. I work in a cubicle and deal with workaholics who get off on who did more work. A lot of my prior bosses were unmarried and no kids in their 50s. Work was their life and I'd rather die than live that life. I'm thankful that my career allows me to provide my family with a comfortable life where my spouse can stay at home. But, it isn't something I want to do any longer than I need to.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
nailed it. 42 here.
the older i get and i realize im still relatively young - i just feel more and more i was not put on this earth to work all day. that little voice gets louder every week. i know my fate is sealed though with the career I chose and unless one of my investment's goes haywire Im'a be pushing these buttons until im at least 60 probably longer. I also like expensive things, new cars, latest tech sh!t, and surfboards and travel.

hopefully - im not still pushing buttons for the next 20+ and will find a position as a creative director or vp of marketing somewhere. not to many places to go up from here in my field unfortunately.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I just got back and showered. No, I cannot run 13 miles in just over an hour. Also, today I ran 15 miles because it was so nice out. I should have surfed though because it was glassy at noon with occasional head high waves.

Your set up seems nice. Your kids can take care of themselves , but will they take care of you if you lose your mind? Is the healthcare system set up for elder care down there?

We have to make decisions because MDs say my mom needs 24 hour care. And she's rebelling. She's in a post acute care facility right now. For two weeks she was good but this she week went off the rails. Wants to go home but MD says no. She's lucid enough to know she can't be kept there against her will and gets pissed off at us when we refuse to drive her home. She's been getting beligerant with the staff and they had to sedate her. Nurse says it's probably urinary tract infection.
It has been glassy here all day! Beautiful afternoon.

If? :roflmao:

My brother in law went through 3 years of what you’re going through with his mom. Heavy on the dementia. He has brothers and sisters so he didn’t have to carry the entire load. That’s what normally happens here, nursing homes and the like are for the 1%er’s. I can’t think of the closest one to me.

People here have way less kids now so the spreading of help is thinner.

For me, I trust my wife to come up with a final solution.

Chance ‘em. Words to live by.

Reactions: One-Off

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I bought my house when I was 31. Refi'd recently down to 2.5%. Assuming I don't run into some major misfortunes along the way then I should do ok for myself in the long run. I plan to pass the house on to my children since it will likely be impossible for them to purchase in Hawaii when they're older. My house pmt is $1000 less than houses rent for in my neighborhood.

I'm like the previous poster above. I do everything myself because I enjoy it. Fix my cars. Remodel my house. Do yard work. I've been socking away 20% + of my pay per month since I was 19. I don't have expensive cars or go on lavish vacations. My surfboards cost more than my car.

I want to retire and surf, travel, ride motorcycles, etc...I like my job but it is stressful and time consuming. I work in a cubicle and deal with workaholics who get off on who did more work. A lot of my prior bosses were unmarried and no kids in their 50s. Work was their life and I'd rather die than live that life. I'm thankful that my career allows me to provide my family with a comfortable life where my spouse can stay at home. But, it isn't something I want to do any longer than I need to.

For the house, you may want to look into selling/transferring the the deed to a corporation (with you as CEO) or to family trust with kids as co-directors. Might make taxes easier over long run since corporation or trust has the the deed and that won't change (property changing hands can trigger tax re-assessments). I don't know much about this but I know it is a thing.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Please tell me what you wish you had done differently. My mom is 77 but a very old 77. She has dementia. She is depressed and would rather be dead. My older brother back on the east coast is a rock star and looks after mom but younger brother back there is worthless and will never lift a finger. I've been back there for 17 weeks this year with 2 more coming in November. Am I naive to think I can keep her out of a home?
things are a little different historically here in hawaii.
Some of us here not all, cultural place all our worth based on our parents, elders or as we call them kupuna.That's why lots give up working to take care of their parents or family member in need. I've lost many a great co-worker over the decades who chose to place family over work obligations
It's a tough call, but it has allot to do with your value system and capability. Allot of people don't have the capability physically, emotionally or even financially but truthfully most people don't value older people or parents when it comes to placing them above their own family or personal situation.

We we're lucky, my mom never got angry or violent like how allot those with dementia become (my uncles and aunties were like this). We made the decision to take care of our mother especially after her stroke in 2008 and let her pass away in her home surrounded and cared for by her children. In the end the 24 hour home hospice was a trying experience but was done out of love. Like my sister having to dig the hardened crap out of her ass because she could not poop anymore because she wasn't eating. She she did that out of love.
Eventually they forget how to swallow and even breathe and that's the end but it's a very hard thing to witness happen to someone you love.

One of the things I would have done was to figure out a way to get protein into her much earlier via liquid foods before she lost the ability to eat and then swallow easily and her body mass started to dissipate. The doctors said it was natural, but maintaining your muscle mass and strength also helps keep your mind fresh via blood flow. Being mobile does wonders for the brain.

Also I probably would've spent more effort the past 10 years ignoring all the complaints about pain and getting her outside and active to keep her muscles/blood flow active that and keeping on the weight. I think getting away from being in a room and glued to the TV and active with their brain and body would've helped fight the natural aging that comes when your in your 90's. But everyone gives up and defers to the wishes of the elder.

Even her doctors did the same when she was in her 80's as they would just say when she had to go into emergency for one reason or another, well you've lived a long life, why worry about all your medications anymore.. Used to **** me off to think that's how they thought. Even in the end they were pushing us to put her into a 24x7 home. But even as we watched the nurses do their thing when they came over twice a week at the end, they still were just strangers to a frightened parent as they were touching her and not like when her own children were doing all those same things. But again it's not something for most people to do what we chose to do.

Every family has to make their own decisions.
What we did isn't for most.
It also hurts the most watching some one slowly disappear and die in front of your eyes
As you can tell from my avatar, I still haven't got over it.
I think the healing will start once we can put her in the ground with my dad but this Covid sht affecting funeral homes and funerals really sucks.

But in the end I think it's just because we just aren't there anymore that's the root of it and like Harry Chapin's song, culture has really taken us away by focusing on down to our children or forward to our work versus up to our elders as the focus in our lives. Those who can find a balance I admire, I believe that's how it used to be when multi-generations lived in a single household.

surfers culturally are a selfish bunch always have been just like any addict.
I'm glad I grew up in an age where it was just another of many past times versus an identity I needed to maintain.

Best wishes from Ewa Beach

• Sad
Reactions: PJ and Muscles

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I find the similarities in Hawaiian kupuna culture and Spanish/Portuguese Familia Nuclear culture to be very parallel, and often wonder if the roots aren't similar, or if it's also a Pacific Islander influence.

Personally, out of 4 children, my mother only has the one (me) who stepped up to care for her. The others barely call now that they "know" she's being cared for by a family member. Her only daughter won't even speak to her, has some imaginary axe to grind and being "in the right" in her (my sister's) mind is more important than family.

Never let principles get in the way of blood relatives, set that carp aside and realize what really matters.

Reactions: hammies

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
PASSAGE OF THE WEEK

"None of us own anything. Everything is constantly in flux. What we have today may be gone tomorrow—we ourselves may be gone tomorrow. Understand that. Appreciate everything accordingly. Be grateful and humble...or life will rebuke you. Fate will remind you who is in charge and nature will reclaim what is hers."

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Please tell me what you wish you had done differently. My mom is 77 but a very old 77. She has dementia. She is depressed and would rather be dead. My older brother back on the east coast is a rock star and looks after mom but younger brother back there is worthless and will never lift a finger. I've been back there for 17 weeks this year with 2 more coming in November. Am I naive to think I can keep her out of a home?
Part time in home care mixed with your brother's ability to handle XX amount of time a day/week?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My mom offered my Grandfather to come stay with us at the end of his life. He flat out refused and insisted on going to a home. He told his kids he doesn't want to be a burden and they should live their life without worrying about him. It was hard for my mom to do because her culture placed an emphasis on caring for elders but she did what he asked for and put him in a home to live out his days.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
This thread has made me think about a lot
I’ve been spared taking care of an elderly parent
For that I’m so thankful

as far as the number, retirement, and being ready for retirement mentally, not just financially, maybe this is where my head is at:

No person has the power to have everything they want, but it is in their power not to want what they don’t have, and to cheerfully put to good use what they do have.” – Seneca

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Seneca is describing what it means to be an adult.

My parents died suddenly catastrophically, with all their marbles intact, when I was 45.

That was terrible.

But to have the old parent who dies slowly is its own traumatic event.

When I think about this stuff I realize this is why I am so nice to people.

Life is hard.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My dad died suddenly in an accident. Years later my mom died slowly of cancer. Other than I got to say goodbye to my mom, I'm not sure which was worse.

It's a 5 hour drive for me but my brother lived just a few blocks from my mom and was her primary caregiver during those last few months. In a lot of Irish Catholic families one kid kind of stays back to take care of the parents, he took one for the team. It was tough for him and his family.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
1 She needs a will (this is mostly for the family, legal system won't care about until things get really messy)
2 She needs advanced care directive (discuss with her offspring, spouse/partnert, brothers, sisters)
3 She needs to get her finances, legal docs, (accounts, holdings, insurance, property, any past tax filings, etc) in order. Get a file/box to store this.
4 She needs an executor
5 She needs someone with Power of Attorney (financial and medical)
6 She needs her online life minimized
7 She needs someone to track all this and make it available upon demand by other family...no hiding stuff
8 Write down her SS #, date of birth, maiden name, blah blah blah.

In a better world, the executor/ POA (financial and medical) would be already assigned/done before she got diagnosed with dementia. [If not diagnosed, get it done ASAP! There is easy legal forms on the internet that can be printed, just need them filled out and notarized.] The POA is to help executor cut through red tape with banks, local govts, IRS, brokerage houses, etc., as well as give protection to executor when closing accounts in her name (especially if you do this online). Peace of mind is well worth the cost of notary.

Accounts.....get someone else on the account. Joint accounts transfer to other person upon death. Really cuts through red tape and more importantly, can legally use account funds to pay for what needs to be paid for. This stuff needs to be tracked so your family doesn't think she is being ripped off. Ended up sending periodic Excel spreadsheets to the siblings that tracked everything from sold off trinkets and tax filings for full transparency.

With no will, usually estate goes to spouse then offspring then other family (via probate). Doesn't stop people stealing possessions from homes or storage units, etc.

The online world....hopefully she doesn't have much of one. If she has online accounts with banks, retirement funds, insurance companies, etc., start locking that stuff down. Write down usernames and passwords. Moving $$ without protection of POA opens you up to legal action (though unlikely unless someone narcs on you, and yeah, family will do this).

Unclaimed property.....most states have an unclaimed property division. This is California's. Dear old mom moved a bunch in the decade before she died. She lost track of dividend checks, SDI payments, tax refunds, etc. Lots of it ended up in the unclaimed property. It took a LLLOOOONNNNGGGGG time to get it back. Start looking into this today. Would have been so much easier for her to claim it while she was alive. As executor, had to make repeated efforts to get it (by they way, you will need death certificates, get some when she passes). The brokerage accounts she opened for the grandchildren 30 yrs back were especially difficult to unravel, in part because some of the grandchildren were over 18 and couldn't be bothered for $700 worth of stock and since the accounts were opened in their name and SS #, they didn't belong to dear old mom so I couldn't clear them as executor. (By the way, alerted the mother-in-law to a tax refund she missed that ended up in unclaimed property. She gave me $100 as a reward. Not a 10% finder's fee, but am sure it helped my status. Would totally recommend everyone do this for themselves and their family. )

When your mom dies, it is going to suck. Moreso when you have a mess to clean up afterwards. Start organizing the eventuality now. Won't be fun, may not be easy, but will help you get through the aftermath with less hassle. It is not ghoulish at all...unless you are trying to scam your family by doing so. Then you are a wood chipper material that should be fed to ghouls.

Not unlike Aunt June and my youngest older sister. Real estate agent had changed the will that cut off my sister. Aunt June did not get along with her surviving son and had written him out decades prior. He went after the real estate agent in probate. Never did find out what eventually happen, don't care to; he was a mean SOB with a long legal reach.

Let me tell you about the dot com bust that evaporated this dream. :computer:
GBG's mom and every single person with assets needs a properly formed trust by a real lawyer (not an online vendor or place like We the People). Properly formed trusts avoid probate. Probate drains estates of their assets. Improperly formed trusts are rejected and the assets will be sent through probate. A good trust will cost you $1500-2500. if you own a home, have a trust.

Make sure all retirement type accounts have a current and living beneficiary. This will keep probate from draining these assets.

All cash accounts, real estate etc outside of a trust will wind up in probate. Probate attorneys are not cheap and the process is not fast.

Will's are nothing but a wishlist for the deceased.

Reactions: keenfish

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My dad died suddenly in an accident. Years later my mom died slowly of cancer. Other than I got to say goodbye to my mom, I'm not sure which was worse.

It's a 5 hour drive for me but my brother lived just a few blocks from my mom and was her primary caregiver during those last few months. In a lot of Irish Catholic families one kid kind of stays back to take care of the parents, he took one for the team. It was tough for him and his family.
I know people where their old parents are just taking off wandering the street all crazy. That is a nightmare.

My girlfriend was caretaker for her mom. It was hard on her. Now her mom is dead, that leaves a big hole because your life becomes about taking care of the elderly parent.

Her brothers didn't do anything. They just want their cut of the cash now. They show up for that.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I hate thinking about the future. :dancing:
Let me do it for you.

Take your pension when you're ready and go to SE Asia and live like a king. Apologize to your girlfriend. If she gets pissed send her photos of the 20 somethings you're banging on the regular and if she's an honest person she will understand. If she doesn't;t understand than she's a dishonest person and your better off without her anyway. There are very few win/wins in life. Don't let this one slip through your fingers.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Let me do it for you.

Take your pension when you're ready and go to SE Asia. Apologize to your girlfriend. If she gets pissed send he photos of the 20 somethings you're banging on the regular and if she's an honest person she will understand. If she doesn't;t understand than she's a dishonest person and your better off without her anyway. There are very few win/wins in life. Don't let this one slip through your fingers.
I think my dollar can go further there for sure.

I really enjoyed Vietnam.

There is surf too

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
GBG's mom and every single person with assets needs a properly formed trust by a real lawyer (not an online vendor or place like We the People). Properly formed trusts avoid probate. Probate drains estates of their assets. Improperly formed trusts are rejected and the assets will be sent through probate. A good trust will cost you $1500-2500. if you own a home, have a trust.

Make sure all retirement type accounts have a current and living beneficiary. This will keep probate from draining these assets.

All cash accounts, real estate etc outside of a trust will wind up in probate. Probate attorneys are not cheap and the process is not fast.
And make sure you do this before the rapid onset of alzheimers/dementia. When my mom first showed signs of decline we lucked out because SHE wanted to make sure my older sister had power of attorney to make decisions re her health care. At the time the lawyer suggested and created the trust. I'm not sure how that trust would be established now that my mom is hallucinating and has huge gaps in her memory...

Reactions: Mr Doof

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The idea of working a job that sucks for a later pay off is kind of a crazy concept too me.

I took a high paying job but only worked it for a few years then took the money and ran.

But doing It term?

Reactions: grapedrink