What's the point of "ChatGPT" ?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
It’s not an equivalent comparison.

First, when you’re researching a topic you often learn other stuff along the way. I think there’s a lot of value in that vs this sort of narrow “just give me than answer” approach.

Second, how far are we willing to go? For instance, my wife can’t even seem to get around the city she lives in without using Google maps… how far are we going to go in utilizing technology as a crutch for even the most basic of mental tasks? Do you think this sort of thing is healthy in terms building and maintaining your brain?

Ok, old man :p

Next you'll be telling about machine looms taking jobs from the menial classes of the Midlands.

And the random learning thing...so inefficient, but it describes how I know a tiny bit about a lot of inconsequential things and have huge gaps in my flat earth knowledge/sports, and who who sings what songs that everyone is listening to in stadiums.

As for your wife not being able to use maps, I've always been somewhat puzzled by people who can't figure our the cardinal coordinates at sunrise or sunset (with cleans skies). Oh well, life goes on.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Subway

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Ok, old man :p

Next you'll be telling about machine looms taking jobs from the menial classes of the Midlands.

As for your wife not being able to use maps, I've always been somewhat puzzled by people who can figure our the cardinal coordinates at sunrise or sunset (with cleans skies). Oh well, life goes on.
I'm thinking about going into business selling horse drawn buggies.

Do you think it's a good time?

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
This kind of question reminds me of a grandparent wonderingly complaining about kids and why they don't use the card catalog and the Dewey Decimal System at the library and just ask the librarian for help.

View attachment 146182

In my dotage, may need a second job if the 401k doesn't supplement my trash can aluminum can scavenging....how much did she charge for Bs?
if I recall correctly
Bs were free
B+ or better guaranteed
i don’t know what she charged

Reactions: Mr Doof

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
As for your wife not being able to use maps, I've always been somewhat puzzled by people who can figure our the cardinal coordinates at sunrise or sunset (with cleans skies). Oh well, life goes on.
I fucking hate having to deal with landmark people. No matter how many fucking times I ask what street something is in the vicinity of, or try to use cardinal directions, I always get landmarks from them. And it's always a fucking business I wouldn't set foot in unless they were giving away stacks of money. No I don't know where the fucking XYZ is across the bridge in mainland traffic snafu central. I know where the Home Depot is on Atlantic, and I know where Strike Zone Fishing is on Beach.

Then they start getting impatient when I have to google maps their fucking landmark, which prompts a further flurry of other landmark references.

Meanwhile the fucking thing is always "xth strip mall past (major cross street light) on North/South/East/West side of road."

Don't even get me going on the ones on A1A. "Is it on the East or West side of the road." "HUH? It's by that one little place I told you went to with so and so you've never met three months ago." "So, East or West." "How can I know that?" "sweet and delicious bag of sugar WE LIVE ON THE EAST GODDAMN COAST HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU NOT KNOW THAT."

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
So many people have no idea. It's truly confounding. One thing that used to seriously bug me was living in Santa Cruz, where the coast faces fucking SOUTH, not west, and I would, when giving directions, tell people to go west and they'd say "you mean north?" and I'd say no, west and they'd look confused. Just cuz we're on the west coast doesn't mean the ocean is always to the west.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Seriously, its been an incredible help in updating my resume. I’ve been feeding in one bullet point at a time, and it gives me back the same thing I was saying, only better.
its not like I’m faking my resume, it’s just making it a little more readable
Really?

A computer can write better bullet points ?

That sounds a mix of unbelievable and lame- you can't honestly write the absolutely basic, clear prose required for a resume?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I think it could be a great revision tool.

It could write your shitty first drafts or do your polishing.

The issue is kids cheating.

But that was always an issue.

Cheaters going to cheat.
I was hoping it may have been able to do some grunt work for me which I could then edit/polish/fact check.

No bueno though because the data set ends 2021 and I need access to current info/events/data as inputs.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Really?

A computer can write better bullet points ?

That sounds a mix of unbelievable and lame- you can't honestly write the absolutely basic, clear prose required for a resume?
ouch
wording matters
“created this impact by using these technologies to take these actions with these stakeholders to effect these processes”
types of bullet points can be worded many different ways
coming up with the best wording for 15 years worth on bullet points is kind of difficult for me
i liked the way they worded some of my work, and other stuff it didn’t get the nuances right