What's a good job that robots aren't likely to replace?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Bees, Ants, The real key to a never ending workforce lies in Biology. Why fix something when you can just breed a replacement?

The primordial soup for a source of materials.

tonyB

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 25, 2014
San Diego
Self learning, self-improving AI is now a reality, the robot part was really exaggerated : humans make really efficient and cheap robots. The real issue is that we will be working for an AI very soon and it will manage us better than we could do it ourselves. I mean what is the difference between making every important decisions based upon AI defined ran and improved models and being Governed by an AI ? At some point we will have to recognize that this thing knows better and is way smarter than any human or human group and consequently surrender and go surf.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Self learning, self-improving AI is now a reality, the robot part was really exaggerated : humans make really efficient and cheap robots. The real issue is that we will be working for an AI very soon and it will manage us better than we could do it ourselves. I mean what is the difference between making every important decisions based upon AI defined ran and improved models and being Governed by an AI ? At some point we will have to recognize that this thing knows better and is way smarter than any human or human group and consequently surrender and go surf.

No

We have a whole generation of children now who are the slaves of AI. Death to the machines!!!

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
When mechanized agriculture became a big deal 100 years ago it put massive numbers of farmers out of work. What no one foresaw was the rise of the grocery transportation and retail industries, which created massive numbers of jobs.

History repeats itself.

Reactions: Havoc

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
We are now still importing workers from Mexico.

My brother is working with a local Ag company. A special project where Mexican workers come to the USA under a specific permit to work. They are registered, do their do, get paid and go back home to Mexico. They pay income taxes on all of their wages.

Totally above board. Federally approved. California is not in the loop.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Pretty funny concern actually. I was warned a robot or computer would replace my job 35+ years ago. Problem was, computers just kept getting more complex, smaller, faster, etc;. The technology was moving faster than a computer/software/firmware program could do it, ideally. So, here I am, still doing the same job, now my own boss, able to charge $100+ an hour for my skills. And all without a college degree. Lucky? Maybe, but you sometimes have to make your own luck.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Those that immediately come to mind

Police officer
Nurse
ICU and ER physician
Some types of construction work
Basically any job that deals intimately with humans and/or changing and unpredictable environments and emotions.

A lot of jobs won't completely go away either - they will just go from 10 people doing a job to one person supervising the job the AI is doing and establish a human component.

I think one job that will dwindle in this manner sooner rather than later is doctor and physician's assistant. Governments and the market will demand it to control healthcare costs. AI algorithms will be better at more efficient at diagnosis and treatment but a human supervisory/observational component will still be necessary.