What's a good job that robots aren't likely to replace?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
You can always be a "car of the future" repairman.......

Either replace the circuit board for $2000-$3000+, or have a "repairman" remove/replace the faulty chip for $165 an hour (maybe $400 total to fix).

The more we depend on electronics/computers to run our life, the more PEOPLE we'll need to repair them. Robotics can assemble these circuit boards no problem. But repairing them affordably is another story. A niche tech job will NEVER be in short demand. Get a skill in one of these niches, and you'll never be looking for work. Likely, they'll be looking for you.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Dog walker.....HOLY SHIIITTTTT....THIS IDEA IS ALLLLLL MIIINNNEEE.

I’m going to make robots that walk dogs all day long. They will pick up the poop with a pooper skooper that jetisons from their center. Have multiple speeds, can dispense water when needed. A quick and precise pull back on the leash to properly train. Voice commands mimiking your voice.

On demand video so you can placate your sense of fullfilment while at work taking a virtual walk with your dog.

Look for Fido One Kanobi coming to your streets in 2021.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Dog walker.....HOLY SHIIITTTTT....THIS IDEA IS ALLLLLL MIIINNNEEE.

I’m going to make robots that walk dogs all day long. They will pick up the poop with a pooper skooper that jetisons from their center. Have multiple speeds, can dispense water when needed. A quick and precise pull back on the leash to properly train. Voice commands mimiking your voice.

On demand video so you can placate your sense of fullfilment while at work taking a virtual walk with your dog.

Look for Fido One Kanobi coming to your streets in 2021.
Just don't let the dog pee on your robot.

tonyB

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 25, 2014
San Diego
Those that immediately come to mind

Police officer
Nurse
ICU and ER physician
Some types of construction work
Basically any job that deals intimately with humans and/or changing and unpredictable environments and emotions.
The title says 'good jobs'...

Jun 24, 2020
Old thread but anyway my job is being a respiratory therapist and I don't think robots can replace this profession although it depends on the case anyway.
Anyway, in my opinion, the work done by man is better and more qualitative than that of a robot.
By the way, if anyone is interested in how to become a medical technician I can leave here a link with all the details.
I know that few choose this job but I do not understand why because the conditions and salaries are good.

Last edited:

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
You can't teach effectively with a machine.

Though the admins want it to be so.
True, but this assumes a society that values and requires people to be intelligent.

I see no evidence of this.

I used to have students who would tell me they are only in college because their parents made them go. I would tell them to run away and learn a trade, especially plumbing, electrical, or A/C. If they do good honest work they will have a wonderful prosperous life.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I used to have students who would tell me they are only in college because their parents made them go. I would tell them to run away and learn a trade, especially plumbing, electrical, or A/C. If they do good honest work they will have a wonderful prosperous life.
I would say, drop the class and go to the movies and tell your parents you are in class.

Some people are not made for the trades.

I didn't fit in there, the same way I don't fit in the academy.

Maybe the problem is me?