what to do with car key when in ocean?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I use the hitch safe. It's awesome. Easy to break in? So is a standard lock on a car. If people want to get in they will.

I''ve politely told people hiding their key on a tire that I saw it and chances are someone did too. Then tell them that I've known of several people getting their cars broken into doing this practice and they just smile, say thanks and go surf :unsure:

Oh well.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
There used to be some guys in the Silver Strand parking lot that would sort of lurk and watch where you hid your keys. Then, while you were out surfing, they would hide them a little better.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I'm actually surprised smashing the window isn't more common just for the state beach pass

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
~snip~
Some times I've simply left the key up on the roof next to my racks. Seems less obvious than under the wheel well.
Hiya CutnSnip,
Some more tips, ok?
Do not hide your car keys on your roof rack!

We had a youngster do so awhile back,
i shot pix of him+ his bro standin' outside, dripping wet, waiting for their Dad's to arrive.
1 Dad owns the 76 gas station on pch near Gladstones which you probably drive by.
Car keys were gone, I'll betcha their goodies were gone too...

Do not hide your car keys where your fuel tank cap is!
We had a gal do so and paddle out, she was ripped off, her car keys gone, her purse gone, some kinda Apple watch taken, etc, on a nice sunny day around 1:00pm, even though her car was parked near the lifeguard tower, this according to Bill, 1 of thee main lifeguards who helped her a~bit...

Wanna leave your car keyz on thee beach? Not a good idea either...
Read here of some recent surfer thefts from the Malibu area, esh, even Zero's ain't safe...
Sirens: Malibu Crime Report 7.25 - 8.26
l8z, rw

Last edited:

Uberkuque

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 19, 2014
Just get the simple metal key copy that opens your door only and bring it w you in the water. It costs like 10or less. I was able to make copies for my 2 cars with chip keys / electronic fobs — the copies won’t start the car but they will open the drivers side door.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Don't be a dick. You have a place in the parking lot. I'm assuming that you are in So Cal. You pull up.

What is there, it takes place around you. Whether you like it or not.

Don't make enemies.

The friend you make today will be your friend tomorrow.

Why do I give LAliens this kind of info???

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
If you are surfing north of Santa Cruz, Your key is worthless,

Leaving anything in your vehicle worth a fvck. Kiss it gone.

Being acceptable to the expanding homeless population who monitors you while you are out in the water...

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Hiya Leaverite!
What's happenin' is that thieves, some with spotters, hang around and watch ya get ready to surf.
Cell phone glued to their ear, havin' a convo for waaay long, or takin' fake cell phone cam pix for waaay to long,
still watchin' ya all along too. They will usually walk away from their own car, as that way some whom might be observing might not get a license plate, nor even realize that the car the thieves wanna get inside of, well it ain't theirs...

You wax up, change into your water attaire, whether a wetsuit or boardies/bikini's, etc.
Then they watch/wonder this: Whatcha gonna do with your car key?
And sooo many pep's try to hide it...

If ya see some dude, or chick even,
in street clothes lookin' around a car bumper, roof rack, gas lid, bendin' low to search a cars tires,
chances are that the key they are lookin for is not theirs.

Most surfers i know are wet when grabbin' their own keys.
We, the boyz + i, have stopped a few thefts in action, kinda fun, last dudes we f**ked with had paper plates from Texas,
the one before that went runnin' up pch as 6 dudes almost had him 'til his driver showed up, he hopped into a kinda new suv with paper plates sayin' somethin' 'about Downey. Newer cars have paper license plate #'s now~a~dayz, cars with~out 'em, or with no front/back license plates, watch those peps, betcha they don't surf......
l8z, rw

Last edited:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The whole north coast of Santa Cruz lives under your onus,

Park your car,

Hope to god what is in your car is still there 3 hours later.

Kooks...

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Hiya Leaverite!
What's happenin' is that thieves, some with spotters, hang around and watch ya get ready to surf.
Cell phone glued to their ear, havin' a convo for waaay long, or takin' fake cell phone cam pix for waaay to long,
still watchin' ya all along too. They will usually walk away from their own car, as that way some whom might be observing might not get a license plate, nor even realize that the car the thieves wanna get inside of, well it ain't theirs...

You wax up, change into your water attaire, whether a wetsuit or boardies/bikini's, etc.
Then they watch/wonder this: Whatcha gonna do with your car key?
And sooo many pep's try to hide it...

If ya see some dude, or chick even,
in street clothes lookin' around a car bumper, roof rack, gas lid, bendin' low to search a cars tires,
chances are that the key they are lookin for is not theirs.

Most surfers i know are wet when grabbin' their own keys.
We, the boyz + i, have stopped a few thefts in action, kinda fun, last dudes we f**ked with had paper plates from Texas,
the one before that went runnin' up pch as 6 dudes almost had him 'til his driver showed up, he hopped into a kinda new suv with paper plates sayin' somethin' 'about Downey. Newer cars have paper license plate #'s now~a~dayz, cars with~out 'em, or with no front/back license plates, watch those peps, betcha they don't surf......
l8z, rw

Go Back,,,'

Apr 18, 2012
NYC
I had my 88 Toyota 4x4 stolen in Huntington Beach in the 90s while surfing crap waves. I had my key around my neck. Apparently old Toyotas didn’t need a key to turn the ignition. I got hang out in the Huntington PD for 4 hours in my wetsuit until I got picked up. They used my credit card at a gas station in Long Beach.....

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I had a pertinent experience this week:

I have (had) one of these

Well, the tumblers had been pretty slow to move the last few weeks (salt water is terrible on locks), but when I got back to my car on Monday the wheels spun totally freely. Sweet. It fixed itself.
Nope.
Dialed in my combo and nothing. Still locked. The lock assembly had somehow lost connection with the latch that unlocks the box. Fck.
(FYI, new used car and I havent' made a spare yet :facepalm: )
Went and found a stick, hoping to pry it open. Nope.
Found a guy with a work truck and borrowed his flat head screwdriver, again hoping to pry it open. Nope, and I cut the sh!t out of my finger too.
Decided I needed to just smash the sh!t out of it.
After 20 minutes of wandering around the university I was able to find a good size chunk of concrete, which I placed under my car, right next to the hanging lock. Then I found a good and heavy fist sized rock. Then I layed down, basically under my car, and wailed away at the lock until I broke through it. It took like 10-15 strong hits to bust it open.

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to stick the key up the pooper now as my lock now looks like this::ROFLMAO:
IMG-2116.JPG

Reactions: jkb

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I had a pertinent experience this week:

I have (had) one of these

Well, the tumblers had been pretty slow to move the last few weeks (salt water is terrible on locks), but when I got back to my car on Monday the wheels spun totally freely. Sweet. It fixed itself.
Nope.
Dialed in my combo and nothing. Still locked. The lock assembly had somehow lost connection with the latch that unlocks the box. Fck.
(FYI, new used car and I havent' made a spare yet :facepalm: )
Went and found a stick, hoping to pry it open. Nope.
Found a guy with a work truck and borrowed his flat head screwdriver, again hoping to pry it open. Nope, and I cut the sh!t out of my finger too.
Decided I needed to just smash the sh!t out of it.
After 20 minutes of wandering around the university I was able to find a good size chunk of concrete, which I placed under my car, right next to the hanging lock. Then I found a good and heavy fist sized rock. Then I layed down, basically under my car, and wailed away at the lock until I broke through it. It took like 10-15 strong hits to bust it open.

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to stick the key up the pooper now as my lock now looks like this::ROFLMAO:
View attachment 80783
:LOL: That sucks! Were you in your wetsuit the whole time?