what to do with car key when in ocean?

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
Someone posted one of these a while back. Hitchsafe. Cancels out the signal on the transponder key. My key won't allow it to be locked in the car. If i have my bike rack on the hitch, I just put the key in the Hitchsafe and leave in the car locked inside. Take manual door lock key into the water. Alarm goes off until I can open it up and get the key out. Annoying but works.

View attachment 91484

I've been using this on my Tacoma for years. So far so good.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Probably same person hit Topanga yesterday. The bastard didn't even have the common courtesy to leave the poor guys key. Ripped him off and left him locked out of his car. Probably 3 months ago had another guy at Red Lee Black Lee reef (El Porto) ask to use my phone. Same thing happened. At least they left his car unlocked for him.

He left a message for his wife and she called me back a few hours later. She was pissed screaming on the phone. I had to suggest that she might want to drive down to the beach and bag her husband who was stuck on the side of the road in his wettie.
Ive been hit at topanga before. didnt leave the key and there was nothing forthem to steal except my clothes, glasses and phone. they didnt take either.. luckily gas station across the street let me use the phone and I had to wait on PCH for 3 hours in a wet wetsuit for roadside assistance to show up.

MBfreek

OTF status
Jul 22, 2006
crunchy SoCal beachbreak
if any of the erBB need a mini ziplock bag for the keyfob, PM me and I'll mail one in an envelope for you...
works with the smaller, thinner fobs like GM vehicles. Not right size for BMW, Honda, etc,

s-l500.jpg

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I've been using this: SeaLine dry bag, Small. SeaLine See Pouch
I ordered some 3"x3" 6mil thick ziplock bags on eBay. whole car keyfob goes into heavy-duty ziplock, then that goes into drybag.
Has worked well so far. Car has proximity entry so once drybag is sealed up, no need to re-open. Can use remote buttons through the plastic as well. I wear bag on cord around neck under wettie. Kept cord short so it stays up high, so not in the way when paddling. Also can stick just below shoulder under collarbone. So far, so good. It's a tad bulky under the suit, but not a dealbreaker. Can tie to loop in thigh pocket for boardshort use.

View attachment 91452
I recently got a new car that only has electronic key, unlocks automatically once the key is near the car, etc. so hiding the key near the car is no good nor would a lock box help

I got one of these dry bags made for iPhones

i was a bit freaked about using it at first but it works fine

key remains totally dry and you don’t even have to take it out to open your car or start it

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I recently got a new car that only has electronic key, unlocks automatically once the key is near the car, etc. so hiding the key near the car is no good nor would a lock box help

I got one of these dry bags made for iPhones

i was a bit freaked about using it at first but it works fine

key remains totally dry and you don’t even have to take it out to open your car or start it
i don't see how there cannot some other way to open in case the electronics fail....no little key embedded in the fob?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The whole electronic key thing is just so stupid anyway.

Just a scam from the car companies to make money replacing keys and fixing computerized components.

Regular keys always work just fine.

I only drive beaters and having a simple key that can be taken in the water and replaced for a few bucks is one of the reasons.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
The whole electronic key thing is just so stupid anyway.

Just a scam from the car companies to make money replacing keys and fixing computerized components.

Regular keys always work just fine.

I only drive beaters and having a simple key that can be taken in the water and replaced for a few bucks is one of the reasons.
I can see the advantage if it’s freezing cold (which it is most of the year where i live) then you don’t need to take off your gloves to fumble with a key

but generally I agree with you that it’s kind of annoying

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
If I secretly hide the keyless entry key fob device in the secret location near the passenger side rear wheel area, it doesn't activate the front driver side door unlocking thing. What a time we live in!

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
there’s no keyhole in the door

i think it’s pretty annoying actually
i'll take your word for it, but there has to be some kind of back up way to get in the car....rtfm. in fact, you have me so curious, tell me the make/model/year and i'll rtfm.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i'll take your word for it, but there has to be some kind of back up way to get in the car....rtfm. in fact, you have me so curious, tell me the make/model/year and i'll rtfm.
You have to take a piece off my door handle to reveal the manual lock. its a PITA. Even then - with the FOB inside the car it wont lock. I wrap the FOB in tinfoil which blocks the proximity sensor and that does the trick. Then the manual key goes in my suit of the pocket.

The other thing you have to worry about with the manual key when surfing with it on you is that the salt will eventually fuck up the lock all together. My last car the manual locks were all jammed up after 2 years.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
You have to take a piece off my door handle to reveal the manual lock. its a PITA. Even then - with the FOB inside the car it wont lock. I wrap the FOB in tinfoil which blocks the proximity sensor and that does the trick. Then the manual key goes in my suit of the pocket.

The other thing you have to worry about with the manual key when surfing with it on you is that the salt will eventually fook up the lock all together. My last car the manual locks were all jammed up after 2 years.
now I’ll have to check my door handle again to see if there’s a removable piece

Im good with the iPhone dry bag method for now

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
From Steve @ Shacked Mag:
A surfer 'hid' their car key on their vehicle while parked on 18th street + Speedway,
near the weight pen/basketball courts, probably to go + surf thee Venice Break~Water. This happened:

On June 11th, 2020, a surfer's vehicle was stolen. The car thief took the keys that were hidden under the fender and stole the vehicle. He may have been watching the driver the whole time, as thieves have been targeting surfers' vehicles in the Los Angeles area. Watching for them to hide the keys and go out into the water, then using the keys and either stealing items from the vehicle, or as in this case, driving off with the vehicle. As of the time of publishing this video, this thief has not been caught, LAPD has done nothing yet.
:(

Reactions: brukuns
Oct 13, 2019
CenCoast
Bummer deal down there. I can leave my truck unlocked with bags and other sh!t in the bed. Nobody even tries. Years ago I'd leave bait to see if people were interested and never got a peek or ruffle.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
yesterday the key to my bike lock snapped off in the lock
i had to smash it with rocks to get my bike

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
From Steve @ Shacked Mag:
A surfer 'hid' their car key on their vehicle while parked on 18th street + Speedway,
near the weight pen/basketball courts, probably to go + surf thee Venice Break~Water. This happened:

On June 11th, 2020, a surfer's vehicle was stolen. The car thief took the keys that were hidden under the fender and stole the vehicle. He may have been watching the driver the whole time, as thieves have been targeting surfers' vehicles in the Los Angeles area. Watching for them to hide the keys and go out into the water, then using the keys and either stealing items from the vehicle, or as in this case, driving off with the vehicle. As of the time of publishing this video, this thief has not been caught, LAPD has done nothing yet.
:(
That's where I always park my car when I'm there (and will do so again when I visit in the future if it's still 2 hour parking during the week). There are always a bunch of suspicious people hanging around there, people who seem to be spending the day on their car and sh!t. Those bball courts seem to attract some weird types.

I can't remember how many times I waited in the street for a car to leave and grab their spot (specially on weekends... most people don't notice that it's only 2hr parking during the week but unlimited on the weekend)

Reactions: ~rwright~
Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
After an incident I'm using a mini ziplock and put my keys there, but a few years earlier, I went surfing with my best friend and forgot my car keys in my swimming shorts and I lost them. I realized that when I wanted to unlock my car, I didn't know what to do in that situation, my friend told to call a locksmith and I found one on emeraldlocksmiths.com and that guy really helped me he changed the door lock. So be careful guys not to lose your keys it can cost some pain and stress.

Last edited: