What size board needed for Mavericks on regular day?

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Lyle Carlson is a really good shaper. Solid guns. Brewer apprentice.

I've surfed it once, I would say maybe 12'? Just for the novelty, 2002 I think. I rode a 7'8"! Surfed Scott's Creek later that day and had way more fun.

Reactions: Ifallalot

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
‘My impression of it was that it’s just way too fucking crowded.

And your friend is right. Bad idea.
He never complained about the crowd. He did tell stories ofc near drownings. One in particular, he woke up, luckily floating face up.

I don't think he surfs there Any more. Still surfs big ocean beach. Remember when Roy's olo got splintered there? He was the pilot.

Reactions: laidback
Jan 21, 2013
On a day that's TOH and it's barely breaking you can get away with an 8'6 otherwise i'd go 9'4 or bigger. I personally would rather surf big scott's or another wave a little bit north in front of big scary boulders b/c the crowds have made it nearly unbearable.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I can't tell if the guy's a Troll or just naive. If he has experience with BIG waves he shouldn't be asking this question. If he's naive enough to ask for BIG wave advice online, well....he has no business being out there. If he's a troll....ride a 5'6" Tomo.

Jan 21, 2013
Now that I think about it there was a nutjob on a 6'1 this year, so why not just make sure to put me in your will

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I can't tell if the guy's a Troll or just naive. If he has experience with BIG waves he shouldn't be asking this question. If he's naive enough to ask for BIG wave advice online, well....he has no business being out there. If he's a troll....ride a 5'6" Tomo.
It's a fair enough question, though.
Think of Jeff Clark pioneering the place, and how he would probably have liked to know what boards to ride. Found out himself through trial and error, but there's no shame in asking for advice.

I've surfed a few spots that I never heard or saw anyone else surf, and you just slowly figure out what to ride and where to sit. Would have loved to know - save me a few dings and bruises. You could argue that I had no business being out there, but you'd be wrong.

EDIT:
What I would say to the OP, though, is paddle out there on your biggest board, and just sit there and soak up the vibe. See if you want anything to do with the place, and try to imagine what it would take to surf it - board and balls.

Last edited:
Reactions: oeste858 and Havoc