What size board needed for Mavericks on regular day?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
On a regular day, guys will be on 9'6 - 10'6 size boards with a couple of outliers.

If it's just capping you can maybe ride a 9'0 if you're small and the board is chunky.

Even when it's capping. It's not easy to catch a wave at Mavs and the crowd doesn't help either.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Ok, I will have to get longer board then to be safe. I would say regular day like this picture

Been hoping to catch it this winter a few times to see how I can do. Thank you!

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
If you have to ask, then you hav no business being out there.
sorry but i do not magically know expertise in board shape and size for Mavericks. Everyone say it so different than other waves and bigger than Todos so I would like to ask than to be not ready with undersized gun.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Actually, if you have to ask... it's a very fair point that you probably shouldn't be out there. If you don't already have a quiver of 10 footers, that you ride regularly around the world in big waves, you're absolutely not going to paddle out there and catch waves that look like that.

The photo you just posted, that's not a standard day, that's a 40' foot wave there. Most people will probably be out on 10'6s on a day like that.

Before I surfed Mavs (which I've only done a handful of times TBH) I thought it was just a bigger version of the big waves I surfed on a regular basis - ocean beach, the lane, north sc, etc. Once I paddled out there for the first time I realized it was a totally different ballgame. It's not even the same sport, man.

The best thing to do is to borrow a decent-sized gun from someone, paddle out there and sit in the channel and see if you want any part of it.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
10 ft. plus.

If you’re getting one made I highly recommend Lyle Carlson. If you need one fast I‘m pretty sure there are still a couple on the racks at Wavelengths in Morro Bay. Those fuckers are 4in+ thick.