What is the value of 10% of Kelia Moniz's prior contract?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
There is no money in surfing these days because everyone gives everything away for free in the modern social media era. I had a former photo editor from one of the surf mags tell me that I could have made some good money with my camera skills in the magazine era. I was just 20 years too late. :ROFLMAO: Same goes for surfers these days. Should have been here yesterday.

Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

no way this falls on anything but deaf ears. I know so so so many worker bees who have been laid off in the last 5yrs.

peeps have been through the ringer, some have been laid off 2-3 times over the span. times gonna get tough for the lifestyle folks.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Disagree - he released a surf film after being out of the spotlight for a while and simply said he personally didn't want to have to answer/surf for big corporations that expected contest results and at his core he was just not interested in competing.

Kelia on the other hand is complaining big corporations don't want to pay her enough. The reality is they simply know there's no value in the sponsorship model she's a part of.
i still don’t get how she was allowed by her handlers to sign a contract that’s apparently terminated at the whim of the company.

Elon tried this and is now losing court cases because it’s a breach. I’ve never seen a pro surfer sue a sponsor.

Reactions: ReForest

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

no way this falls on anything but deaf ears. I know so so so many worker bees who have been laid off in the last 5yrs.

peeps have been through the ringer, some have been laid off 2-3 times over the span. times gonna get tough for the lifestyle folks.
At will employees are just that. She was under contract. But yes, ultimately every employee is at risk of this sort of thing. Most don’t make videos about it.

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
i still don’t get how she was allowed by her handlers to sign a contract that’s apparently terminated at the whim of the company.

Elon tried this and is now losing court cases because it’s a breach. I’ve never seen a pro surfer sue a sponsor.
Perhaps because it was under contract with the prior company and they got bought out? I honestly don't know and would be curious to see what these contracts look like.

I just don't think surfers are as savvy as other athletes with these contracts/the industry may be more setup in corporates favor.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

I’m on board with the get a job. Internet influencer? Crazy world of values right now.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Perhaps because it was under contract with the prior company and they got bought out? I honestly don't know and would be curious to see what these contracts look like.

I just don't think surfers are as savvy as other athletes with these contracts/the industry may be more setup in corporates favor.
Doesn’t matter. Contracts are almost always binding on subsequent owners. Otherwise companies could get out of an deal by selling to a related entity.

The latter is obviously true, but then again, I knew a guy in SF who made a living representing major athletes in lawsuits against their former agents/advisors. They’re ripped off quite regularly by accountant/agents/investment advisors etc.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either.

I've always thought if you're gonna sign a contract of that nature one of the first questions you ask is "What happens to this contract if the company changes ownership or goes kaput?"

We're talking hundreds of thousands in income - can't imagine a lawyer didn't go over it with a fine toothed comb.

Julian sued Nike i think.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
She seems to be articulate, attractive and a water-woman. Im surprised corporate didn’t renegotiate her contract to be a spokes person for Roxy. It’s a shame there are so many haters on this thread.

On a second note, the California (other States too?) “at-will” employment agreement at the time of hire or, contract signing was apparently used to sever their relationship with Kenia. As a (retired) department head with a number of employees, the ‘at-will’ clause was helpful on a few occasions for both our employer and the employee’s who were on the ‘edge’ of redundancy. Hope she is able to score a gig in the future in her chosen sport.

Reactions: slipped_disc

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
interesting phenomenon - the less money there is in surfing the more people seem to want to do it.
I wanted to do it, and never considered that there might be money in it.

Almost no "professional" surfers have any value. I can't believe the surf wear companies spend any money on such a losing venture.

Imagine if they all bolted? The whole professional surfing world would collapse over night, and I bet the companies that have sponsored this nonsense for all of these years would hardly lose anything in sales.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either.

I've always thought if you're gonna sign a contract of that nature one of the first questions you ask is "What happens to this contract if the company changes ownership or goes kaput?"

We're talking hundreds of thousands in income - can't imagine a lawyer didn't go over it with a fine toothed comb.

Julian sued Nike i think.
They often lure you into such termination clauses with signing bonuses or other perks to convince you into believing you’ll get your payday.

I do not believe you can pull back a signing bonus but you save yourself the latter years payment structure if crafted correctly. some pro teams won’t give sign on bonuses for that reason, and instead stuff bonuses as performance based or some other metric that can be clawed back if the contract is ultimately terminated before judgement day.

iirc, JJF had enough juice in his contract to negotiate the terms with Hurley.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
- Kelia's hot!
- Wonder if she got some kind of severance or if it was just a straight termination?
- She's a legit longboarder with a couple world titles to show and such a graceful style.
- Do you think Roxy reduced, or will reduce, Lisa Anderson's pay? Lisa basically IS Roxy.
- Kelia's hot!

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
That’s not really an excuse - baseball players are lucky to get contracts too but clubs don’t just unilaterally end them. Even JJF got the shakedown from Hurley. Maybe there’s a business in suing the folks advising them…
baseball players have historically been paid well. all the big sports - money is expected. Even on farm teams. Surfing not so much.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
She seems to be articulate, attractive and a water-woman. Im surprised corporate didn’t renegotiate her contract to be a spokes person for Roxy. It’s a shame there are so many haters on this thread.

On a second note, the California (other States too?) “at-will” employment agreement at the time of hire or, contract signing was apparently used to sever their relationship with Kenia. As a (retired) department head with a number of employees, the ‘at-will’ clause was helpful on a few occasions for both our employer and the employee’s who were on the ‘edge’ of redundancy. Hope she is able to score a gig in the future in her chosen sport.
Signing an employment contract for a specific term almost always makes your employment other than at-will. At a minimum, a standard written contract like this would almost always call for termination only with cause.

If not, her expectation of a guaranteed 4-year deal was naive.

Then again, she may never have been an actual employee. There are certainly other ways to form a working relationship. In that case, joke’s on her…and JJF and all the other big money guys who got shook down.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
For you guys that are too core to subscribe to Stab, in a how surfers get paid episode they said Alana Blanchard gets paid up to $5000 for an IG post using a company’s product. Alana does a handful a month. I’m sure Kelia can adapt to that if she hasn’t been doing it already.,

Kelia and the Roxy friends she’s talking about are more than just pro surfers. They were used as models in a lot of the marketing and in person promotions.

Out of all the Moniz’s I know Kelia the least. She mostly surfs Queens. But I’ve seen her out a bunch of times this past summer at my summer regular. She still surfs a lot.

Recently she and I assume her husband opened a boutique called Honolulu Pawn Shop and have started throwing dance parties and other promos there. So yes she’s got a real job now. Haha.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
wait, so what do we think the contract value was?

it's weird, b/c i'm pretty willing to bet it's less than Dane R's epic one was - yet the Roxy Gals probably drove more biz than any dude other than maybe slater

Reactions: buttholesurfer