What is the value of 10% of Kelia Moniz's prior contract?

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
90% paycut is harsh - important to not set the standard of low pay (though it will be harder for younger, less paid surfers to not grasp at any paycheck)

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
90% paycut is harsh - important to not set the standard of low pay (though it will be harder for younger, less paid surfers to not grasp at any paycheck)

I gotta ask - why are these athletes signing contracts that are so easily terminated by the company?

Reactions: JDJ

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Kind of a catch-22 she’s in. Only corporate sponsors can write the massive paycheck she wants. And yet, corporations are the first to make massive, pull-the-rug-out-from-under-you business decisions.

two sides of the same coin IMO. I’m pretty sure Vans is slashing their surf team as we speak too.

Reactions: JDJ

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
cuz they realize they are lucky enough to get any contract at all for surfing.
That’s not really an excuse - baseball players are lucky to get contracts too but clubs don’t just unilaterally end them. Even JJF got the shakedown from Hurley. Maybe there’s a business in suing the folks advising them…

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
She doesn't realize she is *the prime example* of why companies are making the decisions they're making in regards to team riders (at least, in some cases) - there's no ROI.

Aside from all the silly dramatic effect, I was pretty much unaware Kelia even surfs anymore. She's hot, so every once in a while I'd peek at her Instagram which sadly seemed to turn into of photos of here emulating "urban" fashion and (rightfully) focusing on motherhood.

There wasn't much surfing going on and I got the impression she was either living in Hollywood or NYC and very focused on trying to look bling/urban.

Roxy was bought out and they're restructuring. The era of a bunch of pro surfers getting paid big bucks to represent apparel is over and has been over for a long time. Maybe she's so far away from it she didn't get the memo.

I could understand frustration for someone who was actively surfing and associating their surfing with showcasing the brand.

But from Kelia's instagram presence looks more like she had a contract that would allow her to get paychecks while neglecting what she was supposed to do - associate her surfing with the brand.

There are more than enough hot beach girls out there that can do everything Kelia is doing, probably for plenty less $. TBH she should feel lucky to even be offered a contract at all.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Haha, what do you know about college? IM aN eNgInEeR!
I know a little about it. My daughter went and graduated as a mechanical/electrical engineer. I taught a couple of her teachers about design document hierarchy and interaction/configuration control which they knew very little about. That’s something you can’t lie about, stoned or not.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I know a little about it. My daughter went and graduated as a mechanical/electrical engineer. I taught a couple of her teachers about design document hierarchy and interaction/configuration control which they knew very little about. That’s something you can’t lie about, stoned or not.
Good for your daughter. She’s actually an engineer!

Reactions: hammies

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Dane did something kinda similar with his CH. 11 movie
Disagree - he released a surf film after being out of the spotlight for a while and simply said he personally didn't want to have to answer/surf for big corporations that expected contest results and at his core he was just not interested in competing.

Kelia on the other hand is complaining big corporations don't want to pay her enough. The reality is they simply know there's no value in the sponsorship model she's a part of.