What is an insurrection?

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
From different dictionaries:

"an act or instance of rising in revolt, rebellion, or resistance against civil authority or an established government"

Jan 6 was only an ACT of rising in revolt, but for years leading up to Jan 6 Trump was involved in it, and continues to act by election denial based on no evidence. That all adds up to an instance of revolt.

"an organized attempt by a group of people to defeat their government and take control of their country, usually by violence"

Jan 6 was well organized by MAGA to defeat their govt, even though many rioters BELIEVED that the election was stolen from them. They believed wrong. They were deceived by the LEADER of the insurrection.

"the action of rising in arms or open resistance against established authority or governmental restraint"

Jan 6 was an action of rising in arms (flag poles, clubs, bear spray, shields taken from cops, etc.) Many rioters were probably armed with pistols in their backpacks because they did not pass thru any magnetometers. However, they never had the opportunity to use them because the police did NOT use firearms against them.

18 U.S. Code § 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection
Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in ANY rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

"engages in ANY rebellion or insurrection," not just ones where hundreds or thousands of people are killed with firearms. ANY REBELLION OR INSURRECTION.

Why has Jack Smith not charged Trump with insurrection?

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
this:
i watched this, for 2 hourz of my life, last night.
heavy...

this vid is of an inquiry into a power hungry fella,
whom had cheated on his 3rd: pregnant wife, this fella,
he be a tighty~whitie chonie wearin' kinda man,
+ yet, some of you, yee whom surf, you love him?
:socrazy:

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Here is what Wikipedia had to say before a barrage of edits in recent years. :roflmao:

A rebellion is an armed resistance to an established government. Those who participate in rebellions are rebels.

Other words for a rebellion include: revolt, uprising, insurrection, and insurgency. Some of these words, especially rebellion and revolt, often have a pejorative connotation while uprising or insurrection are preferred by rebels (insurgents, freedom fighters) themselves. Compare: mutiny, revolution.

For example, the Boxer rebellion was an uprising against Western commercial and political influence in China during the final years of the 19th century, and the Jacobite Risings which attempted to restore the deposed Stuart kings to the thrones of England and Scotland were called the Jacobite Rebellions by the government.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well andfaithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."

what would you call a person who actively and willingly violates this oath of office?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I am really on the fence about this.

On one hand I despise Trump and Trumpism and think he's a grave threat to America's future, and would love it if he was prohibited from being President ever again.

On the other hand, I think without an actual conviction that could be interpreted by the courts as participating in an insurrection, I am not sure he can or should be kicked off the ballot.

Really tough call.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well andfaithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."
This is why Joe Biden must be impeached.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
From different dictionaries:

"an act or instance of rising in revolt, rebellion, or resistance against civil authority or an established government"

Jan 6 was only an ACT of rising in revolt, but for years leading up to Jan 6 Trump was involved in it, and continues to act by election denial based on no evidence. That all adds up to an instance of revolt.

"an organized attempt by a group of people to defeat their government and take control of their country, usually by violence"

Jan 6 was well organized by MAGA to defeat their govt, even though many rioters BELIEVED that the election was stolen from them. They believed wrong. They were deceived by the LEADER of the insurrection.

"the action of rising in arms or open resistance against established authority or governmental restraint"

Jan 6 was an action of rising in arms (flag poles, clubs, bear spray, shields taken from cops, etc.) Many rioters were probably armed with pistols in their backpacks because they did not pass thru any magnetometers. However, they never had the opportunity to use them because the police did NOT use firearms against them.

18 U.S. Code § 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection
Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in ANY rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

"engages in ANY rebellion or insurrection," not just ones where hundreds or thousands of people are killed with firearms. ANY REBELLION OR INSURRECTION.

Why has Jack Smith not charged Trump with insurrection?

Any U.S. law you can cite is subservient to the U.S. Constitution. The 14th Amendment says:

-----------------------------
3: No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.

The 14th Amendment was written to resolve issues raised by the Civil War, and must be interpreted in that context. Regardless of the fact that the definition of the word "insurrection" means something far greater than Trump's actions on Jan. 6, the Civil War's actions were far greater as well.

Regardless, stating to a crowd that "I know you will" go to the capitol and "peacefully and patriotically" object to certification of illegally nominated presidential electors fails to match either definition.

Last edited:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Any U.S. law you can cite is subservient to the U.S. Constitution. The 14th Amendment says:

3: No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.

The 14tth Amendment was written to resolve issues raised by the Civil War, and must be interpreted in that context. Regardless of the fact that the definition of the word means something far greater than Trump's actions on Jan. 7, the Civil War's actions were far greater as well.

Regardless, stating to a crowd that "I know you will" go to the capitol and "peacefully and patriotically" object to certification of illegally nominated presidential electors fails to match either definition.
It will be wild!

We fight like hell. And if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore,

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
We have hundreds of thousands of people here and I just want them to be recognized by the fake news media. Turn your cameras please and show what's really happening out here because these people are not going to take it any longer. They're not going to take it any longer. Go ahead. Turn your cameras, please. Would you show? They came from all over the world, actually, but they came from all over our country

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
And he looked at Mike Pence, and I hope Mike is going to do the right thing. I hope so. I hope so.

Because if Mike Pence does the right thing, we win the election. All he has to do, all this is, this is from the number one, or certainly one of the top, Constitutional lawyers in our country. He has the absolute right to do it. We're supposed to protect our country, support our country, support our Constitution, and protect our constitution.

States want to revote. The states got defrauded. They were given false information. They voted on it. Now they want to recertify. They want it back. All Vice President Pence has to do is send it back to the states to recertify and we become president and you are the happiest people.

And I actually, I just spoke to Mike. I said: "Mike, that doesn't take courage. What takes courage is to do nothing. That takes courage." And then we're stuck with a president who lost the election by a lot and we have to live with that for four more years. We're just not going to let that happen.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
We want to go back and we want to get this right because we're going to have somebody in there that should not be in there and our country will be destroyed and we're not going to stand for that.

And you have to get your people to fight. And if they don't fight, we have to primary the hell out of the ones that don't fight. You primary them. We're going to. We're going to let you know who they are. I can already tell you, frankly.

Reactions: need 4 speed

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I will tell you sissy America last libtards what an insurrection is not. Jan 6th.

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
We want to go back and we want to get this right because we're going to have somebody in there that should not be in there and our country will be destroyed and we're not going to stand for that.

And you have to get your people to fight. And if they don't fight, we have to primary the hell out of the ones that don't fight. You primary them. We're going to. We're going to let you know who they are. I can already tell you, frankly.
Glad to see you're doing your part of the "we" from behind your keyboard on the erBB! :) :shaka:(y)