Wetsuits with a lower leg zipper

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It was common on wetsuits in the early 70’s. Wetsuits were thicker and rubber was stiffer. I freaking hate my chest zips.
I started doing yoga so I can get out of me Feral 4/3 chest zip.

That is not a joke. I had to have help getting out of it. Once I had to just drive home in it and have Mrs. Duffy help me out of it.

So I started doing yoga. Now I can get out of chest zips.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I started doing yoga so I can get out of me Feral 4/3 chest zip.

That is not a joke. I had to have help getting out of it. Once I had to just drive home in it and have Mrs. Duffy help me out of it.

So I started doing yoga. Now I can get out of chest zips.
I have a zipperless suit that's seriously tough to get out of... I had to ask for help the first time before I got the hang of it... and it's a freaking springsuit!!! I can't imagine wearing a full zipperless suit.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Lads it's all about pre-loading. Tug the sh!t down on the torso so it's got tension and prevents the neck gasket from wanting to ride back up. Roll the closed side over, pull down on the torso part some more, then salmon swim up out that bitch.

Picking the knee seams off the heel when taking it off takes a min. Not a biggy.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Well, I'm just going to say that sometimes, when the surf is marginal, I'll sit there and go, "Well if you could magically beam me into my suit I'd go surfing. But THAT just isn't worth the trouble." Sucks to get old.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I have a zipperless and have no problems getting in or out. I did freak out at first about how much you have to stretch them. I thought I was going to rip the seams or tear the rubber.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I have posted this before but since we’re talking about it,
I’ve seen the future
I already know how I will die

I’ll be found lying next to my car with my wetsuit down to my ankles

After a winter surf
Exhausted
Cold
Struggling to get my wetsuit off over my swollen feet
I will fall over, alone in a parking lot, found froze naked and dead the next day

If anyone says I died doing what I love, please correct them
I do not love getting my fat feet through the legs of my wetsuit

I definitely should try the socks

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I’ve seen the future

After a winter surf
Exhausted
Cold
I will fall over, alone in a parking lot, found froze naked and dead the next day

If anyone says I died young what I love, please correct them

Good first draft for your goodbye thread.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Back in the Stone Age of the early '70s IIRC most full suits had these ankle zippers. If you pulled your wetsuit down without unzipping your ankles you couldn't get it off and you had to pull it back up to unzip.

RayG

Nep status
Dec 3, 2002
Astoria, NY USA
Some thicker suits over 5mm will still have leg zips. On the odd thick suit that didn't, to put it on, I would just lay them down inside out and start at the feet and peel them up as opposed to trying to step in through whatever orifice they had- back zip, chest zip, etc...

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Before the days of nylon lining you would use chalk to help the slippage. Maybe we should chalk each other up before a session?
No?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I’ve seen the future

After a winter surf
Exhausted
Cold

If anyone says I died young what I love, please correct them

Drive home in wetsuit. Get out of it in hot shower.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
We have lots of squirrels in our neighborhood, but I've never seen a dead squirrel on any street around here, ever. Maybe the squirrels are not as smart where you live?
You realize that squirrels are food for other animals? A dead squirrel will be snatched up by scavengers within seconds.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Well, I'm just going to say that sometimes, when the surf is marginal, I'll sit there and go, "Well if you could magically beam me into my suit I'd go surfing. But THAT just isn't worth the trouble." Sucks to get old.
That’s why I just put my wetsuit on at home right after my morning sh!t.

Always be ready!

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
In my experience better quality suits (and more expensive) are easier to get off around the ankles and feet because the material is much less stiff.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
We have lots of squirrels in our neighborhood, but I've never seen a dead squirrel on any street around here, ever. Maybe the squirrels are not as smart where you live?
We've always had a lot of rabbits on the island where I live and I'd never seen a dead rabbit before unless it was total road-pizza. Then two summers ago the rabbit population got a little out of control and some residents started complaining on social media and to the local newspaper. Next thing you know there were dead rabbits all over the place. The city denies poisoning them. :unsure: