Webster Desert Storm

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Rails actually feel similar to those of the Ghost, just softer. Apex could even be a hair lower? Huge difference from the 6'10 to the 6'4.

The 6'4 is super smooth, and has lots of pep running quads. Looking forward to getting it into some barreling waves.

My Bourton Reef Swallow has ultra low rails; so foiled and fine. Doesn't feel less stable than e.g. the Ghost, but definitely less chop friendly than the softer DS rails.

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Rails actually feel similar to those of the Ghost, just softer. Apex could even be a hair lower? Huge difference from the 6'10 to the 6'4.

The 6'4 is super smooth, and has lots of pep running quads. Looking forward to getting it into some barreling waves.

My Bourton Reef Swallow has ultra low rails; so foiled and fine. Doesn't feel less stable than e.g. the Ghost, but definitely less chop friendly than the softer DS rails.
Ta. Low apex is more tippy, more reactive - I think, can be hard to extract what a single feature does when comparing boards that differ in multiple ways. Thinner rails are easier to understand, they bury more easily - if too thin will bury too easily - what we sometimes think of catching a rail. Low apex rails and thin rails both introduce less stability.

My 2021 annual build which I call a toy step up, is going really well with thinner rails than my HPSB when the surf is pumping - like yesterday. My idea of pumping is a little overhead of open ocean power. My annual build is called a toy step up, because at 5' 7" it is not a real step up. So was wondering what your thoughts for real step ups/conditions are.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Goddamnit, there was a 6.3 Napalm on Gumtree this morning, basically brand new, for 350AUD! Was the perfect dims, but lost out as I was about to tell the guy to hang onto it as I'll make my way down past Lennox next weekend.

Got snapped up pretty damn quickly.

• Sad
Reactions: Aruka and Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Looks bad from that angle, but it's not. Promise!

The 6'10 and 7'6 does have the pad 2" up, but the tails are narrow and I'm a size 11.5

I shall self-flagellate with an old bull whip, then take proper photos from straight on. For my sins :)

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
every time Maz posts im just picturing the daunting paddle out that would require these blades and the subsequent whooping I would receive

Reactions: MathDebater

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Shitty photo of the business end of the quiver.

6'4 Desert Storm
6'10 DS
7'6 Spartan
8'6 DS

Love these boards.

Maz, whats the upper limit on the 6'10? wanting something simlilar for an upcoming g-land trip.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
It's got a big upper end, toddo. I reckon ~20ft faces.

Would be a dream at G-Land!
In that case i'd hate to imagine what you ride the 8'6 in!

was originally thinking of going around the 7ft mark but if the 6"10 has that much range it will probably be slightly more versatile.

Cheers

• Haha
Reactions: Maz and MathDebater

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Toddo, I ride the 6'10 in solid OH to 2XOH waves, but have had it out in bigger stuff. It's got a big range. If I were to order a replacement, I'd go for a 'slim' 6'8: 6'8 x 19 3/4 x 2 7/8.

Re the 8'6, it too gets a workout in less impressive waves. Today it was HH to OH, and not super lined up, so thought it was a good time to get a feel for it again. Felt great to paddle in early and get used to all that momentum. But yeah, totally overgunned :)

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
My ozzie buddy has kindly offered to haul one of these back to Indo for me, next time he goes home. I'm looking forward to getting a 6'6 with 43 liters. Truly wild how he packs so volume in a step up size. Loving that I'll be able to take a 43 liter deathwave board in my 6'7 board bag.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Any of you guys ridden the smaller desert storm step up model? I don't know if it differs much from Maz's 6'4" but the 6' or 6'2 with a bunch of volume (and not much extra width) both look really good for fun size tubes.