Water Fasting

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
so does coffee
Yeah, black coffee is as close to zero everything as you can probably get outside of water. My body is addicted to caffeine, so if I forgo the cup of black coffee, I'm getting withdrawal headaches as well as being hungry as hell. I suppose I could wean myself off caffeine and THEN fast, but sometimes, good enough is good enough. :shrug:

Reactions: Leonardo and Chocki

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
I went through a 72hr water and black coffee fast beginning of December. Felt so good, inflammation went away, allergies too.
Now I’ve been doing 36hr fasts once a month. Easier than it sounds, at least for me: have dinner, fast all day next day, and next morning you break the fast.
I dont care about loosing weight. I do like anti inflammatory benefits. Cellular autophagy too.
It just feels like it promotes a very deep detox for me, in my digestive system and in my cells overall.
It also made me psychologically stronger, a tougher person id say.
I always surf and run in my fasts, never had a problem.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Anyone try Kelly Slater's preferred method of cleaning by only drinking lemonade?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Dr. Peter Attia, longevity expert, said he used to fast but no longer does. He said he does not recommend it after a certain age. I can’t remember exactly the reasons he gave but it had to do with protein needs and seniors diminished capacity to synthesize it.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
all this fasting stuff and fancy diets are getting out of control. if you need to starve yourself for 18 hours a day to feel good and stay in shape - might be something else going on there.

eat less - exercise more..decent amount of protien..very simple yall.
And reduce/cut sugar. This is so important.

And I hate to be a party pooper but alcohol is a toxin. Physiologically it is toxic for our bodies. Less is better. None is better than less. That said my grandad lived to 103 and had a martini every night. I’ve decided to quit.

Last edited:
Reactions: kawika

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
70% chance of not getting cancer !

Sounds legit
Nothing shocking or revolutionary about losing weight on a crash diet. That’s basic math. But making claims that it reduces cancer and Alzheimers risk by 70% is unsubstantiated horseshit. More bogus nutritional and health advice from Rogan adjacent clowns. Nevermind the fact that White is worth a half a billion dollars and has access to all the best anti-aging clinics, illegal PEDS, nutritionists and trainers. But I’m sure all he’s doing is drinking water, electrolytes and bone broth. Just like little Joe Rogan.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I am fasting 18 hours a day 5 days a week. Sat and Sunday I eat all protein but have milk and honey in my coffee. Maybe I will try this 72 hour fast.
Is that why you’re such an asshole? Or were you born that way like Lady Gaga?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
And reduce/cut sugar. This is so important.

And I hate to be a party pooper but alcohol is a toxin. Physiologically it is toxic for our bodies. Less is better. None is better than less. That said my grandad lived to 103 and had a martini every night. I’ve decided to quit.

i eat a crap ton of sugar - still able to stay in shape but i do over compensate w/the workouts cuz the sweet tooth just isnt going away..its also the only thing keeping skin on these bones.

barely drink alchohol at all - maybe a drink once a month

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
i eat a crap ton of sugar - still able to stay in shape but i do over compensate w/the workouts cuz the sweet tooth just isnt going away..its also the only thing keeping skin on these bones.
Cut out the sugar - tablespoon of high quality extra virgin olive oil or walnuts instead.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I thought this was going to be about not surfing.
Someone should post an “online surf instructor“ video for the VALs explaining that surf fasting for 72hrs once a week will improve your surfing. That’ll help the line ups. Or at least convince Yuri to post one.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

barely drink alchohol at all - maybe a drink once a month
You could be what this Doc calls a, "skinny unhealthy person."

I've been able to mostly curtail it by eating fruit. According to this guy fruit is OK because the sugar is bound to fiber and thus gets digested further down the digestive tract. And down there it gets consumed by the bacteria of the "gut biome." Try it.

Sugar is my worst addiction but I'm aggressively addressing it. Example- no more sugar in my coffee. No late night candy (fruit instead).

I remember decades ago reading a book by Doc Paskowitz and one of the first things he said was to eliminate sugar. At that time I just stuck my head in the sand. I didn't want to hear it. I still don't want to hear it but when my MD said I was pre diabetic that is when I realized I have to address it. That was last year. I'm no longer pre diabetic so you can control it.

The video linked below is really long, but if you google "Dr. Lustig" you will find a whole bunch of videos, smoe much shorter, all with basically the same message. You should watch. When he starts explaining what sugar is doing it becomes like cigarettes, "Why would I do that?"

Last edited: