Watch out! Cyclist coming through

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ -Same here. I hate chucking out perfectly good metal because 5 cent piece of plastic (of reasonably high tolerances) doesn't exist.

I curse the red thing below:

1620692314956.png

But then I went out and bought the cheapest replacements I could find for $15...and it still has that plastic spring cap...but if I get another 25 years, well, I still rather pay $5 for a nice aluminum part and not spend the extra $10. (My Scottish thriftiness is showing, or my Depression era mom's values are...both? Or maybe it all came together to become my "cheap guy-ness".

1620692461008.png

Reactions: Chocki

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
fvvk I wish Shimano would come through with my parts already.

5 1/2 months waiting (so far) for some Shimano components for my bike.

I'd be a happy "idiot" paying $5 for your parts Mr Doof...........if it would get me on my fvcking bike :cursing:
what are you waiting for? can't find it on ebay or any other shops?

Was doing some spring maintenance on the 25+ yr old MTB.

Things are going well, chain fine, gears fine, a few spokes tightened, no notchy bearings, blah blah blah.

Rear brake is a little loose, so I figure, what the hell, and take them off, clean everything up, lube everything that needs grease, then put them back on, apply some spring tension and pop goes the return spring cap.

A small bit of plastic that has lasted 25+ years, no biggie, served me as well as any small plastic part could be expected.

Start looking for the part, find the schematic easily enough for the Shimano BR-M734 XT cantilever brakes and find the part number and....nope, no longer made. Start going down the rabbit hole and what I find is I got a lot more out of that bit of plastic than a lot of others.

Find that it is cheaper and less of a headache to buy all new low end Shimano cantilevers than try to fab a new spring cap (the part keeps the spring under tension so it is needed). I could I could splurge for $117 (!) cantilever or buy another set off Ebay ($40-$200 ) only to wonder when that bit of plastic will break, so going with the $15 cheapos from a Shimano outlet.

Meanwhile, have asked a friend with a CNC to see what it would take to get a pair of nice aluminum spring caps, another friend with a metallic 3d printer, and my wife's friend whose son has a plastic 3d printer. If things work out, I just found another income stream....bet I could spam various bike forums and sell these things at $5 a pop to all the idiots, I mean "people who know value", out there who want to bring back one of the least grabby brake designs ever made.

PS
Shimano has a PR marketing vid with some nice editing around the dogs. Ignore the marketing, enjoy the dogs.

Pre-jumping the rise for maximum paw on the ground energy transfer, eyes on the next turn :jamon:

View attachment 109217
saw that when it came out last week. such good camera work.
pups 11 months today:
http://instagr.am/p/COCX24KsWV2/

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Was doing some spring maintenance on the 25+ yr old MTB.

Things are going well, chain fine, gears fine, a few spokes tightened, no notchy bearings, blah blah blah.

Rear brake is a little loose, so I figure, what the hell, and take them off, clean everything up, lube everything that needs grease, then put them back on, apply some spring tension and pop goes the return spring cap.

A small bit of plastic that has lasted 25+ years, no biggie, served me as well as any small plastic part could be expected.

Start looking for the part, find the schematic easily enough for the Shimano BR-M734 XT cantilever brakes and find the part number and....nope, no longer made. Start going down the rabbit hole and what I find is I got a lot more out of that bit of plastic than a lot of others.

Find that it is cheaper and less of a headache to buy all new low end Shimano cantilevers than try to fab a new spring cap (the part keeps the spring under tension so it is needed). I could I could splurge for $117 (!) cantilever or buy another set off Ebay ($40-$200 ) only to wonder when that bit of plastic will break, so going with the $15 cheapos from a Shimano outlet.

Meanwhile, have asked a friend with a CNC to see what it would take to get a pair of nice aluminum spring caps, another friend with a metallic 3d printer, and my wife's friend whose son has a plastic 3d printer. If things work out, I just found another income stream....bet I could spam various bike forums and sell these things at $5 a pop to all the idiots, I mean "people who know value", out there who want to bring back one of the least grabby brake designs ever made.

PS
Shimano has a PR marketing vid with some nice editing around the dogs. Ignore the marketing, enjoy the dogs.

Pre-jumping the rise for maximum paw on the ground energy transfer, eyes on the next turn :jamon:

View attachment 109217
I honestly don't even know.

I ordered a complete bike at the end of December and as of two weeks ago, they're telling me they're waiting on one component from Shimano.
If you find out, let us know , have them knock it off the total price, and we'll find you a suitable replacement.

Reactions: jkb

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
I honestly don't even know.

I ordered a complete bike at the end of December and as of two weeks ago, they're telling me they're waiting on one component from Shimano.
Yep, find out exact spec for the "missing parts" then proceed to buy it on Amazon to complete your build.

High end component lead times are now 700 days boys... 700 days!

will i ever ride this track again??

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Yep, find out exact spec for the "missing parts" then proceed to buy it on Amazon to complete your build.

High end component lead times are now 700 days boys... 700 days!

will i ever ride this track again??
Goddamn! 700 days is nuts!

Ok, I gotta go down to the bike shop and see exactly what the hold up is.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Whatcha looking for, jkb? Shimano stuff works well with Microshift....looks like they are made in the same factory but maybe a model behind. Box Components makes decent parts as do a few other "2nd tier" companies.

The used/gray market can be a hassle, but can get you going while you wait for the part you want, but yeah, paying twice for a part is not a great thing (but it does give you a back-up part which can be nice).

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Whatcha looking for, jkb? Shimano stuff works well with Microshift....looks like they are made in the same factory but maybe a model behind. Box Components makes decent parts as do a few other "2nd tier" companies.

The used/gray market can be a hassle, but can get you going while you wait for the part you want, but yeah, paying twice for a part is not a great thing (but it does give you a back-up part which can be nice).
I bought a complete bike but it hasn't come in yet because they said they're waiting on one part from Shimano.

Not exactly sure what that one part is, but I'll go down there and find out this weekend.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Edit:
BFF deleted his post about him being in Denmark and participating in the bicycling there.

^ A woman who knows the power of momentum and moving to the side if you get to a stoplight first and gives the clueless some guff?

I'm in love.

1620928106326.png
1620928191210.png

Hey, looks like dear old mom has a twin sister:
1620928298579.png
1620928580139.png1620928635417.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I put a deposit down on a Rocky Mountain Growler 50 last month. It should be arriving in two weeks, but I'm not holding my breath. Gonna sell my Evil Following MB for good $$ and ride a hard tail for a while, then buy another full suspension in fall of '22. Most of my riding right now is trails, half the time with my 6 year old, so I really don't need a carbon full suspension rig for the buffed out trails around here.
1621150168690.png

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I put a deposit down on a Rocky Mountain Growler 50 last month. It should be arriving in two weeks, but I'm not holding my breath. Gonna sell my Evil Following MB for good $$ and ride a hard tail for a while, then buy another full suspension in fall of '22. Most of my riding right now is trails, half the time with my 6 year old, so I really don't need a carbon full suspension rig for the buffed out trails around here.
View attachment 109670
sell me your Evil for mediocre money....

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
If I sell it to you, I'd feel bad asking top dollar. Was gonna list it for $4500. I just sold my 2013 Salsa Vaya 2 for $1350 with XT clipless pedals and shoes. Market is nuts right now.
we're coming up in August....any change in status?