Watch out! Cyclist coming through

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Canyon makes great bikes for a really good pricepoint.
Can confirm. Have Endurace and Lux, love them both.
Canyon employs a lot of local people (I know they're a German company), you can test them at the Carlsbad store.

Endurace has been amazing, I run it as a road/gravel bike with a wheel/tire switch.

IMG_2508.jpeg

With LUX, I've been beating the PRs I've set on the Megatower. It's a crazy fun/fast bike for a XC frame with 100mm of travel.
Just add dropper post...

GH010011.jpg

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
does anyone in south bay LA ride a MTB?

it seems like trails are all a haul from here...

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Riding an SUP, Longboard, or Ebike doesn't make you an asshole. Being an asshole makes you an asshole! Fun is fun, I've only got so many years left, I am going to have as much of it as I can.
I've been saying that forever.

Just make sure you log your rides under e-bike on Strava. :cursing: :p

:drowning:

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
And maintenance?
There's nothing you couldn't fix yourself unless you are a spaz with your hands.

I wouldn't build wheels myself, everything else is easy and fun.

Especially with the death of real bicycle shops, you don't really have a choice.

Maybe Jeff Bezos will come up with Prime Bicycle Service.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
And maintenance?
Go through beaters on craigslist and youtube to teach yourself maintenance. I wouldn't buy some brand new bike in a box and try to assemble it unless it was something I'd done before. Lubing the chain and changing pedals isn't rough. Some of the other stuff...

Bicycle shops are hit or miss. Even the good ones, yeah, they'll fix your rear cassette is f-----d problem. Will ALL the gears work and will they ever shut up that you have an 8 gear rear cassette and your front is 2/3 and all the new trail bikes are 1x10/11?

No. Your bike that isn't their brand, they'll poo poo it. It'll have better components than the 3-4x as expensive new bike they try to hard sell you. They'll tell you you're buying the frame, not the components, and that the frame you're buying will last you a lifetime. Meanwhile the bike you brought in, the frame is fine, probably built at the same metal yard outside the exotic pet smuggling market in Wuhan as the one they're trying to sell you, and you want the same component they'll be selling you in 2 weeks if you buy their new bike with dogshit brakes/gears (which aren't under warranty). Pointing this out or buying their bike, then bringing in your good+ but not mint condition brakes from your old bike and asking them to just do labor might sound funny in theory, but these are bike shop people. You might find yourself soaked in 87 octane in an orange jumpsuit in a cage with that guy from Seaside Oregon who was blocking the camera and then 2v1'd the (admittedly clueless) vanlyfer, looking at you like being set on fire is kinder than you deserve.

If you do manage to kindly just get your bike fixed, they'll make it sound like they had a sled team from the iditarod to get the old part from an Inuit village, or they had to excavate a new pyramid in Egypt and lost three shop mechanics to the booby traps. Ask them exactly what the part they replaced is called, google it, then see if you can spot the first result's brand-themed box with an Amazon Prime sticker on it in their dumpster. Note, they might actually have three employee turnover in the amount of time it takes to get your sh!t back, so let that part slide.

Every person who has ever managed to tighten a quick release has worked at every bike shop in town. Every person in charge of a service department who doesn't recognize your bike, they'll try to figure out if you bought it somewhere else. This is basically like digging up their dead female relative and f-----g the body and leaving it for the carrion fowl. The person who was finishing wrenching the bike on the stand in Shop B had Shop A's brand t-shirt on and Shop A stickers not yet peeled off their bike they rode to work. When you tell Shop A you bought it at Shop B, he'll say they don't do things correctly and try to convince you your bike is a throwaway.

A week later, the mechanic at Shop A is riding your throwaway to work, having taken the same shortcut the guy from Shop B took when working on it.

The moral of the story is, when possible to practice yourself on a beater, do so. When not, dress down a bit, and as soon as they pivot to selling you something new vs fixing/changing out something beyond your mechanical comfort zone, you don't have the money.

• Love
Reactions: FecalFace

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
does anyone in south bay LA ride a MTB?

it seems like trails are all a haul from here...
Good riding in the Santa Monica mountains and San Gabriel Mtns. Not sure about trails to the south.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I love my bike shop guys

aloha Mohammad and Manny!
There's a local bike shop that I've been hanging out for years.
It was an institution/bike museum, run by a grumpy old guy Chuck who had a heart of gold and was a great story teller (and wheel builder).

He had this thing of not telling people the size of the frames, he would make them ride the bike and figure it out that way. He'd take all the size stickers off his new bikes. He was afraid that people would figure the size and then go buy online.
Always playing jazz or Dylan.....

He finally closed this year and all that's left now is Bicycle Wearhouse and some guy who's selling beach cruisers. All the other real shops closed a few years earlier.

It's over. :bawling:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Go through beaters on craigslist and youtube to teach yourself maintenance. I wouldn't buy some brand new bike in a box and try to assemble it unless it was something I'd done before. Lubing the chain and changing pedals isn't rough. Some of the other stuff...

Bicycle shops are hit or miss. Even the good ones, yeah, they'll fix your rear cassette is f-----d problem. Will ALL the gears work and will they ever shut up that you have an 8 gear rear cassette and your front is 2/3 and all the new trail bikes are 1x10/11?

No. Your bike that isn't their brand, they'll poo poo it. It'll have better components than the 3-4x as expensive new bike they try to hard sell you. They'll tell you you're buying the frame, not the components, and that the frame you're buying will last you a lifetime. Meanwhile the bike you brought in, the frame is fine, probably built at the same metal yard outside the exotic pet smuggling market in Wuhan as the one they're trying to sell you, and you want the same component they'll be selling you in 2 weeks if you buy their new bike with dogshit brakes/gears (which aren't under warranty). Pointing this out or buying their bike, then bringing in your good+ but not mint condition brakes from your old bike and asking them to just do labor might sound funny in theory, but these are bike shop people. You might find yourself soaked in 87 octane in an orange jumpsuit in a cage with that guy from Seaside Oregon who was blocking the camera and then 2v1'd the (admittedly clueless) vanlyfer, looking at you like being set on fire is kinder than you deserve.

If you do manage to kindly just get your bike fixed, they'll make it sound like they had a sled team from the iditarod to get the old part from an Inuit village, or they had to excavate a new pyramid in Egypt and lost three shop mechanics to the booby traps. Ask them exactly what the part they replaced is called, google it, then see if you can spot the first result's brand-themed box with an Amazon Prime sticker on it in their dumpster. Note, they might actually have three employee turnover in the amount of time it takes to get your sh!t back, so let that part slide.

Every person who has ever managed to tighten a quick release has worked at every bike shop in town. Every person in charge of a service department who doesn't recognize your bike, they'll try to figure out if you bought it somewhere else. This is basically like digging up their dead female relative and f-----g the body and leaving it for the carrion fowl. The person who was finishing wrenching the bike on the stand in Shop B had Shop A's brand t-shirt on and Shop A stickers not yet peeled off their bike they rode to work. When you tell Shop A you bought it at Shop B, he'll say they don't do things correctly and try to convince you your bike is a throwaway.

A week later, the mechanic at Shop A is riding your throwaway to work, having taken the same shortcut the guy from Shop B took when working on it.

The moral of the story is, when possible to practice yourself on a beater, do so. When not, dress down a bit, and as soon as they pivot to selling you something new vs fixing/changing out something beyond your mechanical comfort zone, you don't have the money.
Never had this issue with road bikes.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias

Cool story bro :cool:

You need very few specialized tools these days to fix your bike besides the Allen wrenches. Maybe just cassette tool. Lately, Sram has been putting Torx bolts everywhere so add a Torx wrench and that's it.
You can install the new bottom brackets literally with you bare hands.

I've been servicing my forks and brakes for years. The Shimano drivetrains are set it and forget it.

And you should definitely go 1x12 bro!

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Wheres a good place to look at MTBs?
Don't go to big chains, they're normally locked with one brand and they suck. Bicycle Wearhouse, Performance Bicycles etc.

Bike Bling in Escondido used to be good but they have less on their shelves now.

Black Mountain Bicycles is a good one and they stock some good brands.

Jensen USA is good but they are mainly online, unless you want to drive to Corona.

Canyon has a showroom in Carlsbad, currently the best value for money. They'll measure you up for size and you can touch and test the bikes but then you have to order online.

I'd do research online and decide what bike is for you. Then find the local dealer.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my shop will order stuff, have it delivered, and build it there

they don't seem religiously tied to any particular brand

I figured out the type of bike I liked by riding a friend's for a while

I used to ride a MTB a ton in the bay area....had friends that I used
to shuttle skyline with

it seems that type of content is hard to come by down here in the desert