Watch out! Cyclist coming through

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I've wondered about that, haven't been on my bike in a few years and in the meantime see a ton of e-bikes everywhere. I haven't heard any complaints around here from friends that ride, but then again they miiight be riding/poaching where e-bikes won't go
I have to say that there was at least 2 people on e-bikes for every 1 mountain biker we encountered on the trail.

Not one of them made them look like something I'd rather be riding.

• Wow
Reactions: the janitor

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
So exactly what is the difference between an E Bike and something like a Zero motorcycle?
When it comes to poaching mountain bike trails, use the best tool for the job.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
So exactly what is the difference between an E Bike and something like a Zero motorcycle?
When it comes to poaching mountain bike trails, use the best tool for the job.
Don't know much about zero motorcycles but e-bikes are pedal assist. They help you with the climbs but you still have to do some pedaling. I'm guessing a zero motorcycle is just an electric motorcycle with no pedals.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
This electric stuff seems to have very tenuous boundarys.

Agreed, in theory if e-bikes are allowed on trails I don't see why zero bikes shouldn't be? Where do you draw the line. A lot of these trails are mixed use. Hikers, bikers and equestrian. The entitled fucks who leave horseshit all over the trails wouldn't share with anyone if they could have their way. The hikers also hate the bikers. The bikers just don't like crowds in our way. I want to say speed should be a safety issue on mixed use trails but I know a lot of people that could smoke an e-bike or a zero cycle on a descent with nothing but their legs and gravity. The motor really only helps going up.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The fix should be simple.

A sign (and enforcement) that states no motorized vehicles on trails.

Should be the same for trestles, if it isn't already.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
The fix should be simple.

A sign (and enforcement) that states no motorized vehicles on trails.

Should be the same for trestles, if it isn't already.
It isn't. And everyone is on e bikes.

As far as used vs. new, one of the Jax bikes guys asked me, "Would you rather have a new or used board?"

And I would go 27.5, jkb. 29er is a bit big for you (and me).

Reactions: jkb

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
It isn't. And everyone is on e bikes.

As far as used vs. new, one of the Jax bikes guys asked me, "Would you rather have a new or used board?"

And I would go 27.5, jkb. 29er is a bit big for you (and me).
If you aren't an experienced rider who pays attention to gear trends there's a huge benefit to getting a new bike and spending a lot of time talking to shop employees about what kind of riding you like best and what type of bike suits you and your budget.
In general 27.5" for fun, 29" for racing, fast rolling, and tall guys.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
How's this "e-bike" for blurring the lines? I only ride it on moto-legal trails or unofficial trails that aren't really legal for anything.20190301_120728.jpg

ShiverMeTimbers

Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
But I agree that ebikes are the SUPs of the mtn bike world. They're great for city living, commuting, etc, but they're not the workout that pedaling is. I think they should have some shared trails w/mtn bikes, like the more basic ones, and stay off some of the better climbs and descents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Groveler

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
How's this "e-bike" for blurring the lines? I only ride it on moto-legal trails or unofficial trails that aren't really legal for anything.View attachment 85697

I bet it's fun. What's the max speed and range of that thing?

But cycling on or off trail is the only workout I've ever enjoyed. I prefer to keep it a workout and earn my downhill rides. Bikes are expensive enough, I was at helens the other day and e-bikes were 11k. Hard pass.

ShiverMeTimbers

Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Yeah, when you can buy a KTM 350 EXC-F for the same money, and probably better financing.

My neighbor has an ebike that he bought for less than $2k. He has an Easy Rider helmet and uses the ebike to frequent all the beer bars within a 25 mile radius. And I've never seen him so happy. He used to drive drunk all the time, so at least now he won't kill anyone with a car. +1 for ebikes!

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
I have a XC Mtn bike, an enduro, a gravel bike, and yes, recently purchased an Ebike last summer. Specialized Turbo Levo. It's just like surfing. Right bike for the right conditions. When do I ride my Ebike? When I coach the high school mountain bike team and also when I go ride SkyPark in Lake Arrowhead. I used to be somewhat anti-ebike. I started coaching about 3 years ago and am the head coach of our local High School NICA team. We have 60 kids on our team and 15 coaches. So you ask, where does an Ebike come in? Well, try keeping up with a High School Senior that has been racing XC for 4 years, especially when you are 50 and work full time. It just isn't going to happen unless your true passion is biking, and yes we have a few coaches that can kinda do it, but they LIVE biking. As most of you know, that know me, I have another true passion, and if the waves are even marginally good, I won't be riding a bike. So, the E-bike was a purchase to help coach, which, I have to say, has been incredible. I used to not be able to coach and talk to the fast kids when getting to the top of a hill, now, no worries. So I no longer try and get my workouts at practice. Most of the NICA teams have 3-5 coaches with ebikes for this very reason. I think ours has 6 ebikes now. I try and ride my other bikes on my own with my kids and friends to get my workouts. Gravel when I'm trying to get into shape, XC on long smoother rides. Enduro at bike parks and when I'm riding more tech stuff. Except at Skypark, I ride me ebike there. Doing laps at Skypark has to be some of the more fun things in Southern California in mountain biking. The ebike just lets me do more laps (If you haven't been to Skypark, and are within 2 hours, you should go, you will not be disappointed). Most people have some experience shuttling downhill trails. Most don't like to admit they shuttle, but they do. An ebike is basically a shuttle, except you don't have to bring two cars. For the people that don't think an Ebike can perform well downhill and only donkeys ride them, well, I've got some friends for you to ride with! You will not be able to keep up with them going downhill! They have been riding Moto all their lives, so throwing around a 50lb ebike is nothing for them. Riding an SUP, Longboard, or Ebike doesn't make you an asshole. Being an asshole makes you an asshole! Fun is fun, I've only got so many years left, I am going to have as much of it as I can.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
There are two local old codgers who have the the Specialized e-bikes and I see them out there shredding up the trails in their full faced helmets and padded gear. It stokes me out to see a couple old timers out there getting it and having fun. If I survive to that age I hope I'm able to do the same. I bet the e-bikes 30 years from now will be pretty sweet.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
There are two local old codgers who have the the Specialized e-bikes and I see them out there shredding up the trails in their full faced helmets and padded gear. It stokes me out to see a couple old timers out there getting it and having fun. If I survive to that age I hope I'm able to do the same. I bet the e-bikes 30 years from now will be pretty sweet.
Yea, I've seen a lot of older guys get back into riding because of them. It's pretty awesome.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
Would you guys be so kind as to school me on mountain bikes? All the info on the manufacturer websites is pretty overwhelming and probably not even applicable to me.

Looking to pick up a used one for general trail riding that encompasses a little bit of everything.

What are the pros/cons of 27.5" vs 29" wheels?

Do I even need a carbon frame? The price seems to goes nuts with these.

If I'm in between bike sizes, is it better to go with the larger one or smaller one?

After doing some research, it looks like a Santa Cruz Tallboy might be a good middle of the road bike for my uses. Am I on track or way off?

Is Santa Cruz a good brand?

Any other brands I should be looking at that offers a good product at a good value?

What are the pros/cons of 27.5" vs 29" wheels?
None. It's all preference these days. Even for shorter people. If you want to be able to go fast in XC, or ride over things a bit easier, then go with 29's. If you want better cornering and control, go with 27.5's. They used to say, just a few years ago, the 29ers were for taller people, and that 27's better for shorter people, that is no longer true. Like I said, it's all preference.

Do I even need a carbon frame? The price seems to goes nuts with these.
You do not need a carbon frame. If I had a choice between two equally priced bikes, one carbon with crappier components, and one aluminum frame with good components, I would buy the aluminum one. Good components are your friend. That is where all the research comes in. I can name 10 brands that are going to make you a great bike in all different formats (XC, enduro, downhill), but what is comes down to is the level of components that come on the bike and the price. Most companies make a good bike, especially the top 10. I remember when I was getting into MTB and my buddy who was a mechanic said, "spend money now, or spend it later." He was right. You get what you pay for. Not saying that bike prices are reasonable, but it doesn't take away from that fact. My first few bikes, I was always upgrading.

If I'm in between bike sizes, is it better to go with the larger one or smaller one?
Always go with the bigger bike. I honestly think the sizing is almost always wrong, and they are all over the place. Test ride a few at a shop and go with the size that feels right. I am 5'7 and my enduro and ebike are both Larges. My XC and gravel are both mediums, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Large if it felt OK. My son is the same size as I am, he is getting a Large Scott 920 this week for XC racing.

After doing some research, it looks like a Santa Cruz Tallboy might be a good middle of the road bike for my uses. Am I on track or way off?
I had a SC Tallboy that I bought new in 2018. I just recently sold it. I loved that bike. If you aren't going to be doing a lot of rocky, tech, downhill stuff, then it's truly a great bike. With that being said, all the good companies make a comparable bike, just find the best deal. If you want more travel, get a SC 5010, more, a hightower or bronson. Basically with Santa Cruz, pick you tire size, then you travel, then your kit (ie, components). They are all pretty much the same bike.

Is Santa Cruz a good brand?
Heck Yea! I love Santa Cruz bikes. I truly think they put great research into thier bikes, and make a great product. Others do also, but they are one of my top picks, but they do come at a price. Look for sales online from october thru december if you really want a Santa Cruz.

Any other brands I should be looking at that offers a good product at a good value?
Too many to list. Lots of great bikes out thier. You can't lose.

Hope this helps!