Watch: Kelly Slater, Mick Fanning, Carissa Moore, Italo Ferreira, Gabriel Medina, Connor Coffin, and more

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
most breaks you can Google are this crowded in Southern California.
Yeah, but 60 people out is way different than the top 10 Wozzle surfers, along with MF, KS, and 40 b-grade pros and junior pros. Would be fun to watch, but an absolute nightmare to catch anything

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
most breaks you can Google are this crowded in Southern California.

I think its a lack of knowing anything about surfing but still wanting to identify as a surfer.
Back to the spectator part. How cool is it to hear the crack of the fins at the beginning of an aerial, the quiet glide till the surfer connects with the wave, watch a big floater as the surfer glides by, or getting sprayed by a massive cutback? It’s all real and you can paddle out and watch the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: McHatin and tenover

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Look at those huge plumes Medina is throwing.

All while looking totally effortless. Even moreso than Parko ever did.

He looks like he toying with the wave.

KS was wow. Ripping.

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Welcome to Southern California. When the wind, if there is any turns onshore the masses paddle in.
I haven't been to Southern California, nor have I been studying surf reports from magicseaweed or elsewhere, but just from watching many videos of trestles and reading the erBB community surf report I get the impression it's not a windy place and gets a lot of clean conditions. Gets some sort of wave most days, a lot of small wave days. Am I close?

Vic Au is quite different. Windy with weather patterns which last several days in a row rather than some morning or evening glass off. For example several days in a row of offshore, then several days in a row of onshore winds would be typical. We have a lot of high cliffs which mean that a very strong offshore can be fine to surf in.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I haven't been to Southern California, nor have I been studying surf reports from magicseaweed or elsewhere, but just from watching many videos of trestles and reading the erBB community surf report I get the impression it's not a windy place and gets a lot of clean conditions. Gets some sort of wave most days, a lot of small wave days. Am I close?

Vic Au is quite different. Windy with weather patterns which last several days in a row rather than some morning or evening glass off. For example several days in a row of offshore, then several days in a row of onshore winds would be typical. We have a lot of high cliffs which mean that a very strong offshore can be fine to surf in.
Usually calm/very light offshore in the morning with light-moderate winds starting later morning into afternoon.

Long period swell means a lot of spots blow out easy even in light winds.

Reactions: Mr J

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Look at those huge plumes Medina is throwing.

All while looking totally effortless. Even moreso than Parko ever did.

He looks like he toying with the wave.

KS was wow. Ripping.
Are we watching the same thing? Medina looked like the was loading and unloading with full effort, give it all you got style. Riping like no one else probably ever, doing the 1% of airs that are perfectly placed and functional. Unbelievable but so un-Parko, who usually looked like he was waiting for a bus while he did his thing.
Slater looked like he was still riding too small of boards and trying to disengage from the wave when he shouldn't so that he could do the spinny tricks the kids do. He needs to add some volume and length back to his boards. Says a guy who can't throw even one of those turns down and wouldn't paddle out in that level crowd

Oh and Connor coffin surfs like "some guy" :LOL: it was funny to see that kid snake him. Little shlt shoulda got a dunk for that.

Last edited: