Watch: Kelly Slater, Mick Fanning, Carissa Moore, Italo Ferreira, Gabriel Medina, Connor Coffin, and more

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Who you guys think surfed the best? I definitely don't think it was Kelly.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I liked Kelly’s waves the most by a lot.

medina was undeniably impressive but watching him doesn’t make me want to surf like watching Kelly does. I watch Medina and I want to see him do a double backflip rote or something like that, which he didn’t do.

nice raw edit tho. I don’t watch mucb these days but this one was start to finish.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
I posted this in the comp thread.

my opinion: Conner is surfing strong but still limited in the new school era of things. Mick was surfing below his ability. Gabby looked like he was in a video game.Morgan looked like he has something to prove. I thought Kellys style looked the best. Carrisa looks strong but Sally looks like shes ready to throw something down.

Reactions: stringcheese

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think Conner's surfing is average. I think he's a great surfer and I like his style but not the best.
Medina's style isnt good, but holy sh!t that guy attacks everything! Kelly is by far the most stylish and technical. That frontside wrap blows my mind! Sally did not look in good form. Carissa looks like a winner! That goofy footer at the end was ripping! But I couldnt place a name to the face.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
1. I like watching retired mick surf like a retired guy. Cruising, blowing turns, who cares he's got nothing to prove and he is rich.
2. Of the two, though conners turns were a bit more critical, I thought carissa's big swooping style won the heat. When they come up against each other if lowers is pumping Carissa's smooth style will surely carry the day.
3. Gabby was a bit more wobbly than I expected but his big turns were ama-zing. A couple monster turns on the lefts that would be high nines for the one turn. That said all he has to do is go right and belt em, I suspect he is impossible to beat if he does that.
4. Old man slater still has it at lowers. He was made for trestles and trestles was made for him...

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Agree that medina surfing doesn't make me want to surf like that, it's like he's riding the board while Slater is riding the wave. Kelly still king. Fanning's style is still my favorite, personally. Speedy.

Reactions: tenover

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Who in their right mind would paddle out there and try to catch waves in that crowd?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
most breaks you can Google are this crowded in Southern California.

I think its a lack of knowing anything about surfing but still wanting to identify as a surfer.