War Movies

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
I like the one when my silver star stepdad attacked me drunk as fuck, flashback whatever. I almost choked him to death. He kept calling my father, also a vet, and myself pussies.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Battle of Britain - was an astonishing feat at the time it was made ... consider this movie was made well before CGI and more than 20 years after the end of WWII. In many of the scenes - actual aircraft from the war were used. The skies over Britain, France and Germany claimed more lives than any other theater over the course of WWII. Of the 3000 aircrew who fought in the battle only about half survived. The British were overwhelmingly outnumbered which prompted the Churchill speech .. "never in the history of warfare have so many owed so much to so few .."

Reactions: Leaverite

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Even though i was just a lil' dude, i still remember of this one from '68:

Back then, late '60's/early 70's i used to watch alotta real WWII war footage,
Thee World at War series, Victory at Sea, and The VietNam War on tv...

Last edited:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
2 summers ago I went to the American Military Cemetary in Luxembourg. Man that is a powerful and emotional place. We lost over 100,000 soldiers in the Battle of the Bulge.

Not movies but I liked Band of Brothers and the Pacific.

Reactions: flyinraptr

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
As grogan19 already mentioned,
lots of great Hollywood war movie titles already mentioned,
here's a couple more that i've liked:

Black Hawk Down,
because a bro on my ol' surf team joined The Marines
and went over there then, read the book, liked the movie...
Sheee~it he did bothered him abit after~wards, as he told me l8er...

We Were Soldiers Once,
read the book a few times, seen the real Vitt Nam combat footage from Nov. 65 a few times,
liked thee movie, Mel G used to come into HW sometimes...

Lone Survivor,
Emile Hirsch was in an ol' Lords of Doggie~Town movie, liked him in this Afgan~ie war movie also,
he surfed back then too, i hooked him up with a coupla Scott Anderson 'Rick Massie' model boards years ago,
this was a bitchin' recon mission gone wrong movie...

This old '80's flick,
The Day After
below, was kinda gnarly back in the day:

I watched the ol' Battle of Midway movie from '76 last night w Heston, Fonda, etc,
did not like it when i saw it on thee big screen when it came out, same last night,
just could have been better, maybe it's because the Japanese, officers ~ Nagumo, Yamamoto, are all speakin' English?
Anyone see the latest version of it on thee big screen recently? Opinion?
ltz, rw

Last edited:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Platoon
Full metal jacket
Deer hunter
Apocalypse now
Hamburger hill

Ken burns Vietnam was pretty good

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Even though i was just a lil' dude, i still remember of this one from '68:

Back then, late '60's/early 70's i used to watch alotta real WWII war footage,
Thee World at War series, Victory at Sea, and The VietNam War on tv...
So much interesting backstory, and afterstory, to this one.

- The backstory the world didn't know is that Nguyen Van Lem was a VC agent that had been running around all day executing people and it so happens he had just executed all the the mother, wife, and children of another South Vietnamese general. Therefore in the context of the situation he was deservedly executed on the spot.

- Supposedly General Loan had always been very well respected in the South Vietnamese military, from the above video and later interviews with him you can see why.

- The photo brought a world of sh!t into General Loan's life after fleeing Vietnam. Eddie Adams had major regrets about the photo, later apologizing and basically said he wrongly ruined General Loan's life and felt awful.

- This all comes full circle because one child of that South Vietnamese general's executed family was only wounded...this orphan was taken in by another South Vietnam military family and became this guy:

Knowing the backstory this photo makes so much more sense... someone had done a very bad thing:

Reactions: afoaf and ~rwright~

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
My teacher I mentioned previously actually tracked loan down when he heard a rumor he had fled to the US and opened a restaurant. He got him to reluctantly sit down for dinner where they spoke about his life and eventually the execution. I have notes somewhere about what he told me that I kind of want to dig up now.

Reactions: ~rwright~