War Movies

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I rented Thin Red Line last night and fell asleep (tired not boring). I'll watch it tonight. Not sure if I've seen it before.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Full Metal Jacket will always be my favorite. Source book, The Short-Timers was absolutely outstanding. Similarly, I'd be curious about veteran perspective there too.
My dad said that the Induction Scene in Big Wednesday is completely spot on

Reactions: john4surf

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Watched this old WWII movie with Doug McClure, on tv when it came out, early 70's,
some of you ol' timers might remember it too, a battle between a P-40 and a Nazi tank:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Not at all realistic, but Kelly's Heroes is fun one. Corny for sure. But fun.
(y)

PS
Dear old dad was a big fan of those black and white World at War documentaries that played on PBS in the 1970s, and since it rained a lot in Oregon and PBS was one of the 3 channels than came in well on the rabbit ears, well, rather than do something constructive, I watched these with him. Later, using the knowledge from the shows, some neighborhood kids and I would play 'war', with sticks as guns and dirt clods and pine cones as grenades....the best part of it was being overly dramatic in the death throes after being hit "You see how that shrapnel tore into my face and I had to hold on to it so it wouldn't fall off?!" (ah kids...such a separation from reality).

PPS
Dear old dad may still have a piece of shrapnel from Sydney attacks somewhere in his 'memory box'. He tells stories of the attack and how his father found some...apparently it had some value as a curio worth trading among the neighborhood kids back then.

Last edited:

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
We were Soldiers

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Midway. With today's technology it could be really good or ridiculous.

Reactions: Ifallalot

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Watched this old WWII movie with Doug McClure, on tv when it came out, early 70's,
some of you ol' timers might remember it too, a battle between a P-40 and a Nazi tank:
I might have to watch that. Looks like it was filmed out at the Algodones Dunes (aka Glamis). Love that place. Not far from where the "crustBrother" handle was coined.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The movie Jarhead was pretty so-so but my cousin who served a few tours in Iraq said the wall where soldiers posted pics and letters from the women who dumped them while they were serving was 100% on point.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
The movie Jarhead was pretty so-so but my cousin who served a few tours in Iraq said the wall where soldiers posted pics and letters from the women who dumped them while they were serving was 100% on point.
Yeah, I worked for a marine who gave that film two thumbs up on realism.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I forgot to mention "Patton." I loved it as a kid and it must have been good because it won Best Picture.

Right now I'm watching Ken Burns "The Vietnam War." What a cluster f...k that was. The war, not the series.

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Growing up my pops would not allow any type of war movie to play in our house. Period. He was a Vietnam vet who saw plenty of combat. If he walked in the room and there was a war movie on hed instantly turn it off. sh!t was a major trigger for him. Later in life he was diagnosed as suffering from ptsd. I shudder to think of all the stuff he kept bottled up all those years. Because of that Ive never been a fan of war movies.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Our Top Sergeant and Command Sergeant Major both served in Vietnam. Top joined a group of us to see Platoon when it first came out. He left the theater part way through in tears. Later, he just kept saying “It’s too fuking close!” Our CSM said he’d never see it. BTW , he survived 6 bullet wounds and spent another 20 + years in the Army. Both men were highly regarded by everyone that met them. They’re true badasses that helped shape the lives of many ornery young men.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Patton

With George C. Scott.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Fury is another really good one.

Brad Pitt in the Sherman Tank. Allied tanks were death traps in WWII. Light armor, weak cannons and gasoline engines. You were living on borrowed time.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Fury is another really good one.

Brad Pitt in the Sherman Tank. Allied tanks were death traps in WWII. Light armor, weak cannons and gasoline engines. You were living on borrowed time.
great book on the subject

1580316593085.png

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Ha! I watched Tropic Thunder this past weekend after me and a couple people were laughing about a few scenes.
Thin Red Line was really, really good. Fighting in neck high grass would suck. When Woody blew his ass off it was funny at first then really f-ing sad. Solid film and the setting was super rad. I want to read that book.