Waikiki During Quarantine

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Returning residents are suppose to quarantine for 14 days. Most are respecting that rule, which is a lot easier to do. Friends and family can go shopping and banking for them.
There are a lot of Hawaiian Air employees that surf Bowls. They said if they have a layover they’re suppose to go to their hotel room and stay there. And no quarantine when they return. Hawaiian took bail out money so no forced furloughs for 10 weeks. But lots of the flight attendants I know say they are on reserve whatever that means. They still get their minimum monthly pay.
I got food by Ala Moana Shopping Center after my dawn patrol and found a shaded parking spot in another supermarket parking lot to eat it. There are a lot more people venturing out. More traffic. A little more like a normal sunny weekend. Half naked girls tanning on the beach.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Today is the first day of beaches opening. A lot of people I know are confronting tourists on the beach.
Talked with my Son this morning and he was relating a phone call he had with a former college teammate on the Mainland. He was told that CNN is doing multiple stories regarding the non welcoming of Tourists in Hawaii and other media sources are picking up the story. Of course, the story does not really go into the quarantine and reasons for it, just that "tourists" are not welcome. One even used a picture that was spreading on social media here, the one of the members of the Westside community hold signs that said "Haole go home". For me, where I live, the tourists are not really an issue, as we rarely have any venture into our neighborhood (when we go Lahainaside for any reason, my wife says she is always glad to get back home where the real people live"). For anyone in Hawaii who has income even remotely based on Tourism, the media on the Mainland picking up these stories will only delay any recovery, if one happens. Luckily for our immediate family, the entire State would have to fail for us to suffer adversely, but many are not that fortunate.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
There's always been an element of resentment and/or hostility towards tourists, but now it's at the surface.

I'm not saying it's right and I know we need tourism but this is where we are at. I think it's a mix of tourists breaking the rules and locals realizing how amazing this place is without tourists. Again, not right, but that's where we are.

Locals are being nicer than ever to each other. So many random shakas and smiles just passing by people.

4daBOYZ

OTF status
Jul 27, 2011
i dont get why we cannot go interisland travel at the end of the month. its like 1 or 2 cases a day and they shut off the mainland should be fine.. they shouldn;t have extended til june 30. these construction guys going back and forth no problem why cant residents. sucks our family cant meet our 1 month old

• Dislike
Reactions: noone999 and racer1

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Returning residents are suppose to quarantine for 14 days. Most are respecting that rule, which is a lot easier to do. Friends and family can go shopping and banking for them.
There are a lot of Hawaiian Air employees that surf Bowls. They said if they have a layover they’re suppose to go to their hotel room and stay there. And no quarantine when they return. Hawaiian took bail out money so no forced furloughs for 10 weeks. But lots of the flight attendants I know say they are on reserve whatever that means. They still get their minimum monthly pay.
I got food by Ala Moana Shopping Center after my dawn patrol and found a shaded parking spot in another supermarket parking lot to eat it. There are a lot more people venturing out. More traffic. A little more like a normal sunny weekend. Half naked girls tanning on the beach.
Thanks for the information on how Hawaiian Airlines is dealing with their crews flying in and out of the state. Would be nice to know how the other ones are dealing with it. I am fairly concerned about Hawaiian. Ten weeks before forced furloughs is not much time, as it is doubtful that the passenger loads in and out of Hawaii will improve much in that time. Where Hawaiian has a major problem is that unlike the other major airlines, their business model is based entirely on traffic into and out of Hawaii, while the others flying into Hawaii can possibly survive on traffic based on inter Mainland Flights, such as Los Angeles to New York, etc, even though it will be much lower than previously, it will generate some income to help them survive and retain employees. A luxury Hawaiian does not have.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Myself and another Friend had booked a flight in March for a 60 year reunion for a surf club function. We cancelled our accommodation booking and got a refund back, just cancelled the rental car, and I could never get through to Hawaiian Airlines on the phone nor online. Got up early and drove to Lihue and asked for a refund but was denied and ended up with two vouchers, good for a year. I asked if I could use it inter-island and got a weird look in return from he agent. :LOL:

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
There's always been an element of resentment and/or hostility towards tourists, but now it's at the surface.

I'm not saying it's right and I know we need tourism but this is where we are at. I think it's a mix of tourists breaking the rules and locals realizing how amazing this place is without tourists. Again, not right, but that's where we are.

Locals are being nicer than ever to each other. So many random shakas and smiles just passing by people.

I know you are not saying it is right. Geez, even my wife had to go into her office today and was driving past the Harbor Lights housing area by the Harbor while talking with me on the phone to remind me to do something. She stops in mid sentence and says "there is a group of white people walking around Harbor Lights (a pretty uncommon sight), I wonder what they are doing". The Harbor Lights complex is a pretty rough one.
The point being, that even she is noticing non local people walking around and wondering if they are "tourists". Everyone is very sensitive now.

To make it surf related. Harbor Lights is where Woody Brown used to live until his passing.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Myself and another Friend had booked a flight in March for a 60 year reunion for a surf club function. We cancelled our accommodation booking and got a refund back, just cancelled the rental car, and I could never get through to Hawaiian Airlines on the phone nor online. Got up early and drove to Lihue and asked for a refund but was denied and ended up with two vouchers, good for a year. I asked if I could use it inter-island and got a weird look in return from he agent. :LOL:
skip the hostel next time and let me know when you rebook

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
My surf buddy is a Hawaiian pilot. He said September is when he would get furloughed, if necessary.
Hope his job is safe. Had some friends who were with Aloha when it went under, it was not pretty.
Being a pilot with Hawaiian and he has good seniority, he should be okay as long as Hawaiian survives. Hawaiian could be a target for a takeover or a merger in the future if things go south.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Good news: my haole ass has not been confronted as a tourist (yet).

North shore beaches were crazy today. Waves were unbelievable. Sunset 9/10, for about an hour at maybe 11am it was 10/10. NNW, 8-10', light E winds. First light there were 12 footers before the swell started shifting more north. Full on pumping winter swell.

I did not see a lot of tourists, mostly military. My son (11) saw some people on the beach and asked them where they were from. They smiled and said Arizona. He told them they should go back there. I did not witness this his sister told me about it. I'm just keeping my mouth shut.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
i dont get why we cannot go interisland travel at the end of the month. its like 1 or 2 cases a day and they shut off the mainland should be fine.. they shouldn;t have extended til june 30. these construction guys going back and forth no problem why cant residents. sucks our family cant meet our 1 month old
Agree. No 14 day quarantine. Have Hawaiian Airlines limit the amount per flight. Only window on the left side and one aisle and one window on the right. They have the heat sensors at all the airports. Use it before departure and upon landing. Wear masks on the plane.

Reactions: Kaido