Vaquero... twin?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Anything will work. Depending on how open your mind is, it may or may not be fun for you.

That being said, a hull’s engine is the interplay between the rail and a single, tuned fin. The convex bottom facilitates that relationship, rolling and winding-up as you shift through the various gears.

With hulls, I find that any additional fins placed closer to the rail only serve a less efficient means of directional stability. At that point I’d be more inclined to surf a thruster or fish.
I would expect a single to work better with the more extreme versions of the hulls where the widepoint and riding position are so far forward and the tail rockers are super low. And for sure, you'd do a bottom a little differently if you meant to leverage and turn a board off the fin(s). My theory (don't know the answer) is that if a more moderately rockered/foiled Vaquero was actually shaped for a 2+1 cluster then that bottom and tail might work with a Webber style twin.

All that aside, this is just spitballing about trying a different fin combo than the board was designed to use. If it was a serious discussion about a midlength running twins then it would only make sense to design the board to be trimmed, ridden and turned off a twin setup, not 2ft further forward. Wide point back like a Fowler Platypus or a a Robin Mair Quadmatic or a Lovelace v.bowls, except using a twin-friendly bottom.

Reactions: chilly1

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Late 1968 " Hull" with a more rearward placed custom fin

Spray just behind and above myself is where I came from
the next 2 years these shapes were fully refined before going all downrail
Mike Diffenderfers were the ultimate and his bottom contour was used on the best shapers boards for the next 10+ years on their downrail boards

Me1969.jpg

Last edited:

Hullman

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 29, 2005
I would expect a single to work better with the more extreme versions of the hulls where the widepoint and riding position are so far forward and the tail rockers are super low. And for sure, you'd do a bottom a little differently if you meant to leverage and turn a board off the fin(s). My theory (don't know the answer) is that if a more moderately rockered/foiled Vaquero was actually shaped for a 2+1 cluster then that bottom and tail might work with a Webber style twin.

All that aside, this is just spitballing about trying a different fin combo than the board was designed to use. If it was a serious discussion about a midlength running twins then it would only make sense to design the board to be trimmed, ridden and turned off a twin setup, not 2ft further forward. Wide point back like a Fowler Platypus or a a Robin Mair Quadmatic or a Lovelace v.bowls, except using a twin-friendly bottom.
I had a Liddle "Inbetweener" that was on it's last legs so I stuck a couple of single foiled keels in the stock boxes Liddle put on his later boards. The 'tweeners had a bit more rocker and a lot more hull than his other models. The keels definitely shortened the turning radius but getting the fins to work with the rail like a single fin was no bueno. The board was a 7'6" so the wide nose got in the way on shorter turns but mostly, I felt it was a bad rocker mix for multi-fins.

I tried it again with one of the last boards I got from Greg, a 6'6" spud. Again, the keels worked if you didn't really bank it over. More of a flat turn, and you had to keep your feet pretty much over the fins. That negates all the attractiveness of the hull design to me. Again it was a rocker thing because the length and shape fit the multi fin set-up much better.

I started making fish with pinched rails and hull bottoms and that was a better fit but still a compromise that left me wanting in regular day 3-5 feet surf. The only weird thing was the fishy hulls worked really REALLY well is overhead + surf. Smoooth rail arcs from the middle or short radius arcs from the tail. They were a bitch to paddle though.

Reactions: Woke AF and chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I had a Liddle "Inbetweener" that was on it's last legs so I stuck a couple of single foiled keels in the stock boxes Liddle put on his later boards. The 'tweeners had a bit more rocker and a lot more hull than his other models. The keels definitely shortened the turning radius but getting the fins to work with the rail like a single fin was no bueno. The board was a 7'6" so the wide nose got in the way on shorter turns but mostly, I felt it was a bad rocker mix for multi-fins.

I tried it again with one of the last boards I got from Greg, a 6'6" spud. Again, the keels worked if you didn't really bank it over. More of a flat turn, and you had to keep your feet pretty much over the fins. That negates all the attractiveness of the hull design to me. Again it was a rocker thing because the length and shape fit the multi fin set-up much better.

I started making fish with pinched rails and hull bottoms and that was a better fit but still a compromise that left me wanting in regular day 3-5 feet surf. The only weird thing was the fishy hulls worked really REALLY well is overhead + surf. Smoooth rail arcs from the middle or short radius arcs from the tail. They were a bitch to paddle though.
Thanks Hullman, I have a feeling I will have a similar result. Havent tried anything yet bey will like ly start with some thruster sides to start off with.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

I rode a friends GH hully-bottom-fish 5'4ish. Really fast and smooth as butter. Paddling it was not fun.