Vaquero... twin?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Intrigued by mid lengths and looking for an equaliser in crowded/maybe bigger surf...I am the proud owner of a Vaquero 7"2", it's a beautiful craft. Mines equipped with futures for side bites. Anyone running these as twin? Thinking maybe Rasta sea shepherd or EN.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Intrigued by mid lengths and looking for an equaliser in crowded/maybe bigger surf...I am the proud owner of a Vaquero 7"2", it's a beautiful craft. Mines equipped with futures for side bites. Anyone running these as twin? Thinking maybe Rasta sea shepherd or EN.
I’ve ridden a Robert August 8’4 long board, it’s basically his signature board shorted a bit (otherwise same dims as a 10’0) with Merrick twins in the side bites.

The waves were very small but I had fun.

Reactions: chilly1

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Go get a thermotech ( white plastic ) set of the T1. Cheap and easy way to find out

I bet you like it in small lined up surf

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Go get a thermotech ( white plastic ) set of the T1. Cheap and easy way to find out

I bet you like it in small lined up surf
Good idea but won't the Futures side bite boxes be shallow depth only?
The T-1's will need the deep Futures fin boxes.
I suppose you could sand down the fins to make them fit if really determined.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Oh no! I did not know that. Might have to go with largest quad rears I have...not sure that will be enough, or appropriate. Thanks

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Oh no! I did not know that. Might have to go with largest quad rears I have...not sure that will be enough, or appropriate. Thanks
Double check your side bite boxes.
The ones with the X on the trailing end will be shallow boxes.
The ones with the F on the trailing end will be main fin depth.
I hate that chit with Futures...

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Hope shallow boxes. Even with all that rail/fairly narrow tail rear quads might work size wise not sure if they are designed to be that far up. But then again it supposed to be a single fin.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
My board that was made for sidebites had the deeper boxes. I use Future grom fins as sidebites in a 2 + 1 setup. Works great.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I always wondered how a hully midlength would surf if set up for 2 hi-aspect semi-flex fins out at the rail. You'd probably have to use a somewhat stiffer fin than you'd use in a singlefin. Maybe less cant than a thruster set. Like a Zinger or a Twinzer without the canard or the concaves. The board would still drive off the rail line and not the fin cluster and you wouldn't need a really deep fin for it to hold - maybe 6" or so.

OTOH, ACE (who was one of the shapers for the Zinger) favored a wierd low-aspect potato shaped fin for those boards (not a regular fin shape as shown below). Kind of like a keel but with no tip, but those boards had the canard and the heavy bonzer bottoms. Still, what he was doing was closer to a fish-style keel.

gedc1065_jpg_4fbbec5ab1.jpg

webber.jpg

Last edited:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I always wondered how a hully midlength would surf if set up for 2 hi-aspect semi-flex fins out at the rail. You'd probably have to use a somewhat stiffer fin than you'd use in a singlefin. Maybe less cant than a thruster set. Like a Zinger or a Twinzer without the canard or the concaves. The board would still drive off the rail line and not the fin cluster and you wouldn't need a really deep fin for it to hold - maybe 6" or so.

OTOH, ACE (who was one of the shapers for the Zinger) favored a wierd low-aspect potato shaped fin for those boards (not a regular fin shape as shown below). Kind of like a keel but with no tip, but those boards had the canard and the heavy bonzer bottoms. Still, what he was doing was closer to a fish-style keel.

View attachment 90834

View attachment 90833
I have a few sets of fiberglass grom fins that might be a good starting place, thanks!

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Yes, I've got a 7' Takayama Howard mini clone that I run with a 6.5" Bonzer center and some Future grom fins as side bites.

Great setup, took a little stickiness of the turns and made the board flow a little better.

I have bunch of grom fins, good call. you running on a mid length?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Yes, I've got a 7' Takayama Howard mini clone that I run with a 6.5" Bonzer center and some Future grom fins as side bites.

Great setup, took a little stickiness of the turns and made the board flow a little better.
Wow, I just google that board, nice! Looks kinda similar to mine

shikaka

OTF status
Mar 10, 2003
Anything will work. Depending on how open your mind is, it may or may not be fun for you.

That being said, a hull’s engine is the interplay between the rail and a single, tuned fin. The convex bottom facilitates that relationship, rolling and winding-up as you shift through the various gears.

With hulls, I find that any additional fins placed closer to the rail only serve a less efficient means of directional stability. At that point I’d be more inclined to surf a thruster or fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: kpd73

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

View attachment 90834
Love these fin set ups. 7'6" and an 8'er. Tried other fin set ups and so far these two are the money ones for these particular boards. The large flex twins great in up to overhead. Super loose but still with great drive. The other twins with the bonzers are flexy and good for well overhead.
20200420_153036.jpg

View attachment 90833

Reactions: chilly1 and Hazrus