Vanlifers or Cab over 4WD pick-up?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
The fullsize truck version (Hawk?) of the FWC can sit 3 people in it in a pinch. I've been caught in a couple monsoons at camp so we were able to hang out and eat dinner, play cards, etc. 2 people would be ideal. It also folds down low enough to not become too much of a liability off-road. In fact, I think it's a lower COG than most RTT setups

P9300152.JPG

P9290004.JPG

IMG_6727.jpg

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
All these POS sh!t Sprinter Vans driven by Asians from Garden Grove and Retirees from Temecula. Fucking Choades.

Back in the day you got a van and laid down some shag and built in a cooler and went out to the desert to fuck. Now these tards in the Vanlifer Vehicles never let them see dirt. They just want to be seen doing what they think they are supposed to be doing. They never washed a dish in that thing. It has no real off road capability. They drive it to their destination and then stay at the Westin.

Fuck get a 4WD truck with a bithchen camper and go where you want to go and way more room in the interior with the cab over sleeper. Carry more sh!t with a higher torquing trans (Let alone get out of sh!t). Parking the same you fucking Vanlife Queens. I fucking hate you.

Thank you.

I told my wife the same exact thing, and her response was "stop hating on them. You're just jealous".

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I told my wife the same exact thing, and her response was "stop hating on them. You're just jealous".
Nah its not Jealous. Its like the Hummers. Doctors driving them in traffic on the 5. Never seen dirt. "But its comfy??" Fuck the Vans aint even comfy. Fuck my 250 diesel gets 20mpg. Its about stupidity. About...and Ill say it again...my main pet peeve....its about "People wanting to be seen doing what they think they are supposed to be doing to fit in". Fucking Real Sheep.

• Love
Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
"People wanting to be seen doing what they think they are supposed to be doing to fit in". Fucking Real Sheep.
real as opposed to blow-up?

i had no idea that was the in thing these days

maybe that explains the recent spike in syphilis cases here in the US

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The fullsize truck version (Hawk?) of the FWC can sit 3 people in it in a pinch. I've been caught in a couple monsoons at camp so we were able to hang out and eat dinner, play cards, etc. 2 people would be ideal. It also folds down low enough to not become too much of a liability off-road. In fact, I think it's a lower COG than most RTT setups

View attachment 172752

View attachment 172753

View attachment 172754
Last pic near Moab? I remember driving up a side road that had a long wall like that. Red Cliffs. Beautiful.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
What's the storage like in its down position? I'd be concerned with not having enough room for day to day stuff.
No issue, arguably more space since the back is sealed so nothings exposed to the elements. So instead of piling things in the back seat it can go in the camper.

less room if you need to do work truck things but I have an actual work truck for rhat.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
We had the tall van for bear country. Oldest son is driving now, so we sold it and have this. Can still camp, but he can drive it, too. And fvck you @Pico for the racist comment to start. Maybe it's where I live, but every vanlifer I've seen is white. So what?

Nice, gave the AT some serious thought. Do you use it in the cold?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@silentbutdeadly the storage is minimal compared to a hard side camper. no upper cabinets. for two people and a dog doing month+ trips we have to be pretty strict about what we bring (just ignore the 6 surfboards on top). I removed the back seat on the driver side of the Tundra for this recent trip which actually opened up a bit more space. I don't like to store too much stuff in the aisle of the camper because we still like being able to climb in to grab food from the fridge or cabinets.

the fatbikes were a new addition this year and I loved having them. great for exploring each zone once we had camp set up and I also used mine for fishing more than I expected. also had a surfboard rack on mine which I didn't use a ton but really appreciated it when i did use it to surf different waves a few miles from where we were camped.

more storage and a better floor layout are the main reasons I'm considering the flatbed version of the Hawk or a hard side camper at some point.

Dec 10, 2023
St. Pete’s
All these POS sh!t Sprinter Vans driven by Asians from Garden Grove and Retirees from Temecula. Fucking Choades.

Back in the day you got a van and laid down some shag and built in a cooler and went out to the desert to fuck. Now these tards in the Vanlifer Vehicles never let them see dirt. They just want to be seen doing what they think they are supposed to be doing. They never washed a dish in that thing. It has no real off road capability. They drive it to their destination and then stay at the Westin.

Fuck get a 4WD truck with a bithchen camper and go where you want to go and way more room in the interior with the cab over sleeper. Carry more sh!t with a higher torquing trans (Let alone get out of sh!t). Parking the same you fucking Vanlife Queens. I fucking hate you.

Thank you.

Very cool… but imagine the critters living in that!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
What's the storage like in its down position? I'd be concerned with not having enough room for day to day stuff.
Bottom line in any pick up except old school one's with 8' beds is you can't store long boards or even healthy size mids. And in case you ever get a crew cab with 8 foot bed those things are long. In my vanagon I can put boards up to 12' long (12 footers would have to slide between the two front seats, 9 footers fit comfortabley in the back) piled up to the ceiling and lock them up when I'm off doing other things. Score another point for the vans.