Un-official 2021 Tropical action thread

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
It seems like everywhere in the world has surf right now besides the EC, Hawaii has a back to back souths happening and a off season wnw ffs. They do deserve it putting up with all the Covid Tourism fookery.

Reactions: Boneroni

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Cousins on Grand Cayman just got nailed pretty good. Only a Cat1. Eye supposedly passed right over them. They‘s ballin in a nice house with storm windows but their yard/garden took a beating. Lost multiple trees, their fence, shed and its contents. They’ll be fine but it still sucks.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
shoulder/head high and clean in SE NC - a great morning and a good time was had by all :waving:

Reactions: potato-nator

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Kind of slow early surf-wise in Duval, but heavy crowds on it. Going to get on it for lunchtime. Hope the wind remains mellow.

Flagler and Burna cams showing a little more activity.

Oddly no signs of swell on the Fernandina/St. Augustine nearshore buoys. I remember a day kind of like this in October 2009 where the buoys were like 1@10 x 2@9 and some guy walking over the Poles boardwalk told us it was really fun. We looked at each other like OMG what a kook the buoys are microscopic. Turned out there were combo'd up waist-chest high runners galore.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
For LBI, after Henri passes how long:

A until south facing beaches clean up
B will the waves last

View attachment 114968
It will be small leftovers Monday morning given this track.

Exactly when it will be clean depends on the exact track, speed, intensity, shape of the storm's windfield, and your definition of clean. It might be a bit textured, or even chopped to start, but gloriously treasured by all-and-sundry, for the duration of the swell.

Any wind angle other than normal/perpendicular to the coastline, and the name of the game is inlet/jetty/pier. The East Coast: where a coastline sees hyped swells on a wind more than 45 degrees off straight onshore.

With this track I'd be watching it like a hawk Sunday. I'd probably try driving South of LBI once the wind had Northerly aspect. But I'm a goofy footer. And maybe it will be very Easterly Sat PM and already clocked off Sunday AM and left runners came and went in the nighty night.

You may find that there is not a long time of California morning groomed pristine surf. It will probably lose adverse surface texture quickly, but still retain lots of "character" in the form of lumpjumble. The storm is right there and this generally helps put a corner on it, allowing the zoo animals more pasture for grazing.

It will be mid-70s water and you'll get a laugh from East Coasters flipping their FULLY NOOKING sh!t.

Reactions: mundus and Mr Doof