Un-official 2021 Tropical action thread

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
A bit disappointing where I surfed as always on tropical swells, peaky and closed out at the same time. But no complaints 3 days in a row of shortboard surf in summer in NJ :shaka:

Reactions: GromsDad

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Wish I was as stoked after three days of crowded closeouts. Don't know about where you were but here the tides were really fat which added to the wonkiness.
Hurricane surf is almost always overrated. Unless you head to a point is just crowded close outs mostly.

give me a nor’easter any day over a hurricane.

Full moon everywhere on the tide front. The NHC, Surflies, the Euro model....they got everyone not smack-dab in the path's hopes up for a better swell. This track on a strong-ish tropical storm, it if it would have been a bit bigger, a bit stronger, or a bit closer, it would have really cranked. It would have been more nameless blow and less overrated early stage small Cape Verde walled inconsistent crowd factor. It would have had that bit burlier, bit less groomed/walled/soft affliction, more consistent, more swell on thumpdown after passage. This was really, really, really close to serving up very "East Coast" good surf and doing it all over B and C grade rando beachbreaks too, from the Treasure Coast to New England. I guess New Hampshire hates this track. But it's the sweltering dog days, storm right on the front door, floating over a steaming tub of ****, slow direct approach for days, then bump up the coast...this was soooooooooo close to firing errwhere.

Jax Beaches had very light onshores after lunchtime, just a texture to microbump, til around 3:45pm Friday, "the" day, it went offshore from storms inland cooling it off - beautiful until sunset.
The main problem was a mid-morning meh high tide and the incoming from negative low to flood was during the afternoon - and by the time it went back offshore in the afternoon, the outside sandbar was too fat. It was pretty fun at lunch though, still really clean and orderly, just inconsistent on anything over stomach.

There was no Thursday evening bump visible, but it was predicted on the front end, and it was soft, small, and busy Saturday on the back end.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Fun surf up the street. Some bad tidal/flash flooding so glad didn't need to travel. Not the "epic" conditions Surfline forecasted but anyone who believes that deserves no sympathy.

Lunch then head back up for a few more.

Still waiting on an update from my friends in Block. Based on the wind meters up there looks like the eye had passed over a bit ago.

Reactions: Boneroni

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Fun punchy chest-head summer surf here today. Sets were a little overhead hightide backwash walls racing down the beach. Under the lip from the takeoff plenty of fun I watched a couple families with ripping groms, ripping a spot I surfed often when I was a grom. Couldn't be more stocked to see that at this random Beach break. Kids were going silly for hours and they stayed politely south of us the whole time( that's where the cameras were pointed).

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Scored Fri on Pea Island (N. Hatteras) and Saturday in Frisco. The latter was 6ft and heaving lefts all morning with not a drop of water out of place/no drift ..Sunday was 2ft --worth the drive but wayyyyyy overhyped as usual.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
5ft sets and clean in ACNJ.
doable, fun, punchy, crowded and prolly a bit smaller.....than....hoped for.
:jamon:
The one cam that works uptown looked pretty fun. I really have no idea what's what up there anymore with all the extra sand in the past few years

Didn't make the drive, minimal if no regrets.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
The one cam that works uptown looked pretty fun. I really have no idea what's what up there anymore with all the extra sand in the past few years

Didn't make the drive, minimal if no regrets.
it was pretty good early....and dat was dat.
:cry:

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
there was a sadly lethal aspect to the swell....SoJersey lost a Cape May
lifeguard who got headsmacked by his boat and never regained consciousnous.

also a 67 yo surfer died surfing in Margate....

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
there was a sadly lethal aspect to the swell....SoJersey lost a Cape May
lifeguard who got headsmacked by his boat and never regained consciousnous.

also a 67 yo surfer died surfing in Margate....

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Surprised it does not happen more, those boats are dangerous in any kind of surf.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Couple fun days of shortboard surf and a handful more of longdogin. Highlight was Sat. Point was flooded early, which has been the case all week with the full moon tides. Packed up the fam for a beach day and a surf with my cousin 20 minutes across the island. HH on the sets and pulsing pretty good at an A frame rock pile. Warm water and 1st surf in boardies and a rashly in several years. A little crowded, but pretty easy to get waves.

Sunday we got wacked pretty good, NE winds maybe gusting 60 or 70, but it came through quick. Checked the local protected cove but flooded early, tried to go back at low but the cops had the road closed at the beach and couldn't get past them. It was actually worse earlier, but they kept it closed all day. Reminded me of times of old. Lost power for around 24hrs. 5 or 6 boats came off their mornings or anchor and washed ashore in town. Offshore leftovers today. Small clean LB runners. Wish it would stayed off shore, but cant complain, we lucked out and any tropical swell while I'm back visiting the folks and relatives is welcome.
PXL_20210822_184309745.jpg

Reactions: Boneroni

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
This coming Monday will be, uh, full of suckage for those in the paths:

1630094824495.png

PS
One model shows Tropical storm Dora (Eastern Pacific) sliding up the Gulf of California...something like has produce flooding in the past.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
30B918E3-BB06-4159-AB74-27A04BD346BE.jpeg
We’ve had from light to pouring rain since yesterday afternoon, looks the same for the rest of the day here. Up north is gonna see some misery. Speaking of, the Big Sleazy is about to get hammered.