Twitter fact checks POTUS!

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
You’re allowed to criticize your country and your culture. Dissent is one of the most essential qualities of being American.
So that means you must understand the resistance to governmental actions about the virus

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
GromsDad said:
If Twitter is going to editorialize content it should cease being considered a hosting platform and be held legally responsible for any and all content that it hosts. Its their business and they can do what they please but there are legal ramifications.
This is actually an interesting point. Craigslist got rid of their hook up section because of the fear of prosecution from people using it prostitution. That could be applied to twitter in a situation where someone commits slander.

It’s a stretch and I wouldn’t want that to happen but....

They either editorialize all content or no content. If you selectively editorialize you are legally responsible for that which you don't editorialize.
Good to see that Trumby is going to act upon the legal principal I was referring to in this post. You can't hide behind your status as a platform of free speech if you are editing. At that point you become a publisher rather than a platform and the legal ramifications are uuuuuuge. Same should go for YouTube.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell

Good to see that Trumby is going to act upon the legal principal I was referring to in this post. You can't hide behind your status as a platform of free speech if you are editing. At that point you become a publisher rather than a platform and the legal ramifications are uuuuuuge. Same should go for YouTube.

Twitter did not retyped or edit his tweet. Twitter simply issued a reply. How is that considered editing?

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
Twitter did not retyped or edit his tweet. Twitter simply issued a reply. How is that considered editing?
I think i just lost some iq points. Its really simple as there are only two positions:

A common carrier does not interfere with free speech. Your cell phone operator does not "fact check" conversations.

Otoh, a publisher is perfectly able to edit/censor content. Their platform, their content, their rules.

Twtr and the other sm platforms have been mated. They either edit/ban trump and declare as publishers, or they dont and commit to carrier status.

If they decide on publishing, they will both lose 50% of their users (as trump takes his 70m elsewhere) + be swamped by copyright material to create a nexus for enfringe lawsuits.

If they elect common carrier status they will be swamped by legions of alt right bots, users and sh!t posters itching to go.

They are fuxored with this 4 year quasi straddling status ending. Time to choose - either one means lost eyeballs, clicks and revenues.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I think i just lost some iq points. Its really simple as there are only two positions:

A common carrier does not interfere with free speech. Your cell phone operator does not "fact check" conversations.

Otoh, a publisher is perfectly able to edit/censor content. Their platform, their content, their rules.

Twtr and the other sm platforms have been mated. They either edit/ban trump and declare as publishers, or they dont and commit to carrier status.

If they decide on publishing, they will both lose 50% of their users (as trump takes his 70m elsewhere) + be swamped by copyright material to create a nexus for enfringe lawsuits.

If they elect common carrier status they will be swamped by legions of alt right bots, users and sh!t posters itching to go.

They are fuxored with this 4 year quasi straddling status ending. Time to choose - either one means lost eyeballs, clicks and revenues.
I think you have oversimplified the laws, give this a read, especially this bit:

"The legal protections in subsections (c)(1) and (c)(2) are completely independent of one another. There is no basis in the language of Section 230 to qualify (c)(1)’s immunity on platforms obtaining immunity under (c)(2). "