Twinzer feedback?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Been doing a fair amount of googling twinzers - cuz I've got loads of free time .. LOL. So I've seen comments where twinzers only work in slopey waves and comments saying that they hold well in steep hollow waves. Its also apparent not all twinzers are the same and as commented in this thread fin placement is critical. I am assuming when talking about critical fin placement - it mostly revolves around the canards. Is there a rule of thumb? I am leaving it up to Barry - but curious as well.

i did find this Aussie on Instagram who posts up a lot twinzer pics - looks like he does nice work .... on his website (http://www.bryanbates.com.au/twinzer-3/) he has these comments …

The Twinzer! Anything a twin fin can do, this can do better. Wil Jobson created this original fin design over 30 years ago and he spent some time down in Oregon and left us with our heads spun round about the efficiency and thoughtfulness of this design. The smaller leading fin organises the water flow so the back fin can operate in clean water, much like a jib sail fills the mainsail on a sailboat or drafting behind a vehicle on the highway.
They absolutely sing on a wall and are far more positive than a twinny, meaning you can surf the board harder without spinning out and still have that rad skatey feel that makes twins so good. Fin placement is absolutely crucial for twinzers and is the probable reason you don't see more of them. I router and set the fins into the board so there's no fin fillet and a bulletproof attachment to the board.
This model is somewhere inbetween fish and shortboard and is such a fantastic small wave weapon. I cannot recommend this design enough--it takes the fast, free feeling of the twin fin and adds horsepower and positive grip to the equation. You can square off bottom turns and go vertical yet still overpower and blow out the fins for that great drifting feel at the end of a turn. Best at 5'5" to 6' and around 20" wide.

With his boards looks like he uses some pretty beefy canards.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
From what I've read when Potter won the world title he was riding twinzers at least part of the time.
a proper Twinzer wil blow your mind

a proper Twinzer wil have fins placed @ 8.75"

Stussy 8.75"
Notice that the canards are toed in more than the twins and trailing edge overlaps the front of the twins to about mid point on the canards. Guessing if you don't get the toe in angle right on the canards - you potentially could create a problem with too much drag.

Reactions: Aardwolf

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Notice that the canards are toed in more than the twins and trailing edge overlaps the front of the twins to about mid point on the canards. Guessing if you don't get the toe in angle right on the canards - you potentially could create a problem with too much drag.

Not true....This photo angle is throwing off your perception.

For Nica try and get a legit Twinzer in a shortboardy planshape like the Pottz boards above.

Reactions: flyinraptr

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

Not true....This photo angle is throwing off your perception.
+1

Same toe. Wil mentioned adjusting overlap of the canard. I like mine at 0 to 0.5" gap. He said bigger gap for bigger waves (spreading the fin cluster).

canards:
top row: Herb Spitzer supercharger, C5 canard, Larry Mabile;
mid: RFC Jobson, Fins U Jobson, Von Sol;
bottom: small, large bonzer

Feb 9, 2019

This might be worth a look.

I have tried about 4 twinzers over the years. They are a fun addition to your quiver. Goes unreal on rail and super loose. Great for s carves, rebounds on slopey waves, but has limitations on steeper faces. Def not for pocket , vertical rippage.
I would be willing to try another if there are actual footage (not still pics of carves ) of good surfing on a twinzer
ew

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
friend asked will how he got the idea, his inspiration was mountain bike tires. the treads had a little one just outside of the big one. adding more grip...

Oct 26, 2016

This might be worth a look.

ew
Appreciate the vid. Saw that review when it first came out last year.
He eventually surfed well on it. Took him a good number of waves to figure it out. And, take note that it wasn't on Salas' favorite list, lol.

Personally I think its a design that can be fun if you want a different feel. But not my cup of tea, too squirrelly, twitchy and ultra sensitive. Life's too short, don't want to blow waves trying to make something work. I want something reliable and predictable when i surf. Just giving my feedback to OP, surf what you want.

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I have tried about 4 twinzers over the years. They are a fun addition to your quiver. Goes unreal on rail and super loose. Great for s carves, rebounds on slopey waves, but has limitations on steeper faces. Def not for pocket , vertical rippage.
I would be willing to try another if there are actual footage (not still pics of carves ) of good surfing on a twinzer
No limitations