Twinzer feedback?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Getting ready to put an order in for a couple boards for next season. I've been dabbling with riding twin and twin+trailer setups lately- was planning on going that route with the new boards. Someone planted the idea of trying the twinzer setup - have never ridden one but has got me interested in trying it. I know they've been discussed previously but apparently you can no longer search the old threads anymore - so hoping for a fresh take. From what I've gathered about the setup so far my main concern would be trying to control speed in solid surf? I've noticed with some of the googling I've done so far - some folks are adding a nubster to the setup. Is this a legit concern or nothing to really worry about?

Side note - looks like the Future single tab canards are not easy to come by - any tips on where I might be able to pick some up?

Cheers ...

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I've been riding them exclusively for over 3 years
awesome when you figure them out
fin type, size, and placement pretty critical, well worth it if you're willing to put the time in
I make my own fins, so its easy for me to adjust to box placement
I would recommend Fusions
I currently run mine 6 3/4-7" from tail 1 1/4" from rail
1/16" toe 3-4* of cant on mains 9* on canards

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Go fcs for the canard

Did u have a shaper in mind ?
Yep - looking at a couple boards ….
R2
r2.png

Been racking my brain on dims but think I've settled on 6'4" x 21.25 x 2 3/4

The other board is the Apollo - thinking along the lines of 6'10" x 22" x 2 3/4 - with same rounded diamond tail as the R2 in the above photo.

Apollo.png Been ordering boards from Barry for a few years now and they've been working really well here in Nica. I snapped my 6'8" in two a few weeks ago and so psyched to get a couple new ones.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Was thinking the Futures - Thermotech c5 - for the canard fins - it's single tab - for FCS box. Looks like Futures is out of stock - haven't found anybody that has them online yet.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Barry knows how to do single tab fcs

True Ames has a nice looking canard in stoke

Can get some thru rainbow or fins eventually or even Griffin can make a nice complete set with dual tabs ( best bet by a nautical mile )

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Or could ask Mica on Instagram if she could order u a set that mabile uses

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Was thinking the Futures - Thermotech c5 - for the canard fins - it's single tab - for FCS box. Looks like Futures is out of stock - haven't found anybody that has them online yet.
My last board from Coil was a twinzer, this summer. Kirk told me Futures had one set of the Thermo C5's left and grabbed them for me, as theyre no longer made. One fin shaper (blackfin) told me those C5's are too small to have much of an effect. I like the Futures TW1 fins. Much bigger, but hard to find

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Thanks for the replies …. Barry mentioned to me that a lot of his twinny customers are reporting good feedback on the Futures EN twin set. I've been running the MR twin + trailer set - on one of my existing boards - not completely sold on it. Seems like for the larger twins - there are more template options with Futures base.

So interesting comment on the Thermo C5's being too small - curious as to what other options are working for the canards?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Thanks for the replies …. Barry mentioned to me that a lot of his twinny customers are reporting good feedback on the Futures EN twin set. I've been running the MR twin + trailer set - on one of my existing boards - not completely sold on it. Seems like for the larger twins - there are more template options with Futures base.

So interesting comment on the Thermo C5's being too small - curious as to what other options are working for the canards?
Each customer happy , none will post here ;-)

Find a shaper who has ridden them and created from there .

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
So as far as figuring them out - are you talking fins/placement or riding them? With that said - did you have a steep learning curve before you felt confident on the design in good waves?
not too steep. I quickly figured out that 8-8 1/2'' sucks (for me) and The MR template absolutely did not work for me
My fins have more rake.My current fav: I started with Rusty R2T 450 and scaled it up tweaked the trailing edge
then getting used to feel. I have a bunch of different kind of boards 5-10 fish, 6-2small wave HPSB, 6-4&6-5 step up , and just sold an in betweener being replaced by Jeff @ nine lights 6-3 Orzo

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
My 2 cents: the one tab canard is a compromised design. Two FCS tabs are stronger, don't get loose, and easy enough to do. You can trim the tabs a little shorter front-to-back for some adjust-ability.

Fins Unlimited would make custom sets a few years ago, or you could get in touch with Mr Brian Bills of BC Rudders in Hawaii to make a set (808 638-7653, got this number off swaylocks and don't know if it's current).

Reactions: Aruka

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Thanks - I have a shaper who has been hand shaping boards for a long time and still does it the old school way - he used to be my local shaper but since I live in Nicaragua now not any longer but I still going to support him because over the years and boards I've ordered from him … he has always done right by me. I've gotten some of the best barrels in my life this past year on his boards - so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt if he tells me to check out twinzers.

So with that out of the way - i need to open another bottle of wine - check tomorrow's surf report and then figure out what to do for Canards. So on the carnards - better with dual foiled, flat, or ?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
My 2 cents: the one tab canard is a compromised design. Two FCS tabs are stronger, don't get loose, and easy enough to do. You can trim the tabs a little shorter front-to-back for some adjust-ability.

Fins Unlimited would make custom sets a few years ago, or you could get in touch with Mr Brian Bills of BC Rudders in Hawaii to make a set (808 638-7653, got this number off swaylocks and don't know if it's current).

Thanks - looks like a good setup. The twin fin appears to be a lockbox setup but like the template of both.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Definitely flat canards. I've tried quite a few. I've lost quite a few. Been exclusively on twinzers for 8 years or so now. Only got one big session at cloudbreak on a self shaped twinzer 4 yers ago: held in and didn't feel twitchy. Brought a quad set from fins unlimited just in case but didn't need them.

Rich/halcyon said some of the big wave guys up in Santa Cruz like them.

They should be fine in nica as long as the fin placement is solid.

Reactions: flyinraptr

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
Flat canards x2. And the cant on the mains is critical to me, I shoot for the tips of the mains being 1/2" farther apart than the base on the trailing edge.

Reactions: flyinraptr
Oct 26, 2016
I have tried about 4 twinzers over the years. They are a fun addition to your quiver. Goes unreal on rail and super loose. Great for s carves, rebounds on slopey waves, but has limitations on steeper faces. Def not for pocket , vertical rippage.
I would be willing to try another if there are actual footage (not still pics of carves ) of good surfing on a twinzer