Twin Fins Are Dank

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Back the drive debate: Definitely the case with upright twins. I've always felt that keels, once you set and push, have a lot of drive because of all that fin area. But they don't recover from turns with a simple thrust. You need to set the rail and fin again before you can push and project, which I think is the "delay" sensation you see in this video.

Also why throwing down layback hammers is not an ideal way to surf a twin. You have to stay in the power source and maintain flow to keep things at optimal dankness.

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
Back the drive debate: Definitely the case with upright twins. I've always felt that keels, once you set and push, have a lot of drive because of all that fin area. But they don't recover from turns with a simple thrust. You need to set the rail and fin again before you can push and project, which I think is the "delay" sensation you see in this video.

Also why throwing down layback hammers is not an ideal way to surf a twin. You have to stay in the power source and maintain flow to keep things at optimal dankness.
This. I love twins. I have had literally dozens of them. They excel at building/generating speed. In waves where there is a ton of speed, (like those in the video) the issue becomes scrubbing off the speed. Big turns off the top or cutbacks at top speed, you tend to get a little sideways and there is a recovery issue after the turn when you are trying to go back the other way. You have to try and slow the thing down so you don't need the full direction change sometimes. Which is hard because the speed feels sooooooo good. If you watch Torryn Martin surf his, on cutbacks he generally aims for the trough of the wave instead of the foam ball. The arc is fairly obtuse. And then he nurses his bottom turn. Frequently with a rail grab. All surfboards are compromises. I love twins. This video made me want to pull one out of my racks. Actually, maybe I will. Bye.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

This was the sitch. Me on the Nectar in some tasty HH+ and hollow waves. Kept on blowing takeoffs until I started pointing it straight down the face and grabbing rail at the bottom. One of the turns was so violent that my neck legit really hurt for a second.

I just liked two fins because they were fast and I liked to go fast.

And do cocaine.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
not too much experience on twins but been riding a banjo for a couple months and loving it. i dont try to be agressive with and just cruise , kinda like skating the bowls at the park. before that my only exp on a twin was an vintage fish that was glassed so thin - id worry about cracking it each time i surfed which took the fun out it for me. it is now on my wall.

Reactions: Ttboi and Aruka

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
The sweet spot and control - ease of riding- of a Thruster with the Speed and free feeling of a Twin

Doesn't sound like you will ever experience this
Passive aggressive, all the time. :shaka:

I will never experience ‘this’ with anything you hawk. I’ll assume that works for both of us,
and I am happy with my choice:)

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
The center fin adds stability/control, at the expense of speed. Twins and quads are so much faster as soon as you get to your feet and drop in. You don't have to pump them like a thruster.

Downside of straight Twins is the slide, unless you like that feeling. But add canards w the right placement, and you get the speed, w/o having to nurse turns.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I have an old El Tomo custom with twin hatchet fins. There's definitely some slide but it is fast. I have to nurse turns. Some of the effect might be that you have two big fins instead of 3 or 4 smaller ones. I need to get back on it after surfing a 3-fin thruster for awhile and compare.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Downside of straight Twins is the slide, unless you like that feeling. But add canards w the right placement, and you get the speed, w/o having to nurse turns.
Agree 100% fin template and positioning can massively change the feel. Have a hard time understanding why keel when a well designed twinzer set up leaves them in the dust(and turns). On the more performance type boards the free speed and turn ability offer very few "downsides"

Reactions: ghostshaper