Twin Fins Are Dank

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Have been for a Very long time

Regular guy several years ago :

Oh yeah, very “normal” feeling. I’m 33 and grew up surfing in early 90s so I’ve pretty much been on a thruster since the start. So that’s “normal” feeling to me. I’ve liked some quads but always prefer thrusters.

The twin feels pretty close but has some additional glide on takeoff. I like that you can either take off and let it run or surf it like a shortboard and pump. Can’t really do the first one on most thrusters. I had the fins pushed all the way back. Still felt pretty loose. It will also hold through almost everything. As I said, probably my favorite everyday wave board. Works waist to overhead no problem.

image.jpgimage 3.jpgimage 4.jpg

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
Nice video. Hard not to notice that almost every top turn was followed by a cut/edit. Almost like there was trouble with carrying speed through a top turn. Something like the first 11-12 top turns were followed by a quick cut. There were three or four makes, mostly (all?) on smaller waves.

Last edited:

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Have been for a Very long time

Regular guy several years ago :

Oh yeah, very “normal” feeling. I’m 33 and grew up surfing in early 90s so I’ve pretty much been on a thruster since the start. So that’s “normal” feeling to me. I’ve liked some quads but always prefer thrusters.

The twin feels pretty close but has some additional glide on takeoff. I like that you can either take off and let it run or surf it like a shortboard and pump. Can’t really do the first one on most thrusters. I had the fins pushed all the way back. Still felt pretty loose. It will also hold through almost everything. As I said, probably my favorite everyday wave board. Works waist to overhead no problem.

View attachment 109580View attachment 109581View attachment 109582

Long Beach NY? My stomping grounds before I moved to Ventura.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Nice video. Hard not to notice that almost every top turn was followed by a cut/edit. Almost like there was trouble with carrying speed through a top turn. Something like the first 11-12 top turns were followed by a quick cut. There were three or four makes, mostly (all?) on smaller waves.
Can’t help but think this is a trend industry wide regardless of board surfed - big attention grabbing drop wallet top turns with spray as opposed to surfing the entire wave with [Turpel voice]speed power and flow[/Turpel voice]

it’s the 5second attention span IG edits meets long form clip. IMO the best content right now are “sessions” like Dane has been putting out. Show the good, the bad and the ugly all in the same 5min.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Drive might mean different things to different people, but I think of it as speed through turns and projecting out of turns, especially bottom turns.

Twins have speed, but lack drive to me. Throw in some canards, and the added drive is tenfold, especially off the bottom. Feels like you get projected into the lip; whereas, a twin feels like it's delayed or bogging off the bottom.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Drive might mean different things to different people, but I think of it as speed through turns and projecting out of turns, especially bottom turns.

Twins have speed, but lack drive to me. Throw in some canards, and the added drive is tenfold, especially off the bottom. Feels like you get projected into the lip; whereas, a twin feels like it's delayed or bogging off the bottom.
Is the delay the “spooling up” sensation commonly talked about with keel fish?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006

Looks like that is what is happening when he starts to try to pump up the face for the barrel section. Looks like he is pumping but not going anywhere.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Can’t help but think this is a trend industry wide regardless of board surfed - big attention grabbing drop wallet top turns with spray as opposed to surfing the entire wave with [Turpel voice]speed power and flow[/Turpel voice]

it’s the 5second attention span IG edits meets long form clip. IMO the best content right now are “sessions” like Dane has been putting out. Show the good, the bad and the ugly all in the same 5min.
I agree. There is something to be said for seeing a surfer go from paddling into a wave through kick-out, jump-off, close-out, whatever. After all, it's how we surf. I especially appreciate seeing video of people paddling into waves.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

I did a grab rail backside bottom turn on a Nectar twin fin and pulled so many Gs that I hurt my neck.