Twin Fins Are Dank

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
How about these twins?

Alchemist and Cassette Deck? Anyone try?

CASSETTE DECK TWIN
http://instagr.am/p/CR9aLYhl7HV/

ALCHEMIST TWIN
http://instagr.am/p/COglMxDAtoS/
paging @ReForest :

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
paging @ReForest :

Front fin placement in relation to the wing leaves the front half of the fin way in from the rail. Wonder how that feels.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
paging @ReForest :

Man! What a beauty. But I just don’t understand the fin placement? If the wing/bump is intended to break the water flow, wouldn’t you want the fin box placed at the wing? Or at least situated in a way that would make the wing work together with the fin? This fin placement looks wrong to me?

But at the same time it might ride insane the way it is?

Reactions: tedshred5

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Man! What a beauty. But I just don’t understand the fin placement? If the wing/bump is intended to break the water flow, wouldn’t you want the fin box placed at the wing? Or at least situated in a way that would make the wing work together with the fin? This fin placement looks wrong to me?

But at the same time it might ride insane the way it is?
Maybe pop by the factory and ask the shaper? They’re on the same street as XTR

Reactions: ReForest

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Very interesting and vastly different than my experience with fins placed @8 1/2" Must be my style(lack of) or or poor weight distribution. Until I moved my fins back to where they are now, all of them had a similar feel. I don't articulate well but, the boards worked well and were fast but turning would frequently be quirky. Mid face turn/drive down face was amazing, but straight drop to hard bottom turn were dicey, and as to when it would release/side out, same on cutbacks . This seemed to amplify backside(I suspect from applying too much forward foot pressure). At first I corrected by making taller/larger fins, which worked, but always still felt like the fins were a sort of fulcrum point from where the board wanted to turn. The bonus was the boards seemed to like being ridden from a more foreword stance. Where I am at now works well for me and I know people's style and desired feel can be different. But (no offence intended) hard for me to get my head around 11" placement ( and I've ridden twinzers exclusively for the last 5 +years) Must be some magic carved into them :shaka:
First off with fins up need to step over fin cluster make turns hard to find placement at first seems odd back foot so forward. I think it helps I have no.dedicated thrusters in my quiver and only ride quads and 5 fin bonzers:cheers: I try to a least in my mind ride my twin(s) ole style top to bottom carve speed only time feel real vertical or semi approach is backside under lip or top snap.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Heard Jason surfs better than most pros. Does that make his boards better or worse, if you can rip on anything?
Great question. I would think that an average surfer would create a board to compensate for average skills (e.g. make it faster, or turn easier, etc.) but a great surfer might feel the need to get overly creative? :unsure:

Jason is an incredible surfer. He's not super fit (a little bit of a belly) but his technique and timing on turns is incredible and he always takes off on the big barrels and makes them. Crazy good surfer.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Great question. I would think that an average surfer would create a board to compensate for average skills (e.g. make it faster, or turn easier, etc.) but a great surfer might feel the need to get overly creative? :unsure:

Jason is an incredible surfer. He's not super fit (a little bit of a belly) but his technique and timing on turns is incredible and he always takes off on the big barrels and makes them. Crazy good surfer.
he also surfs the same wavez as u. go see him and give up on the firewire tunnel vision. working with a local talented shaper will make u a better surfer.