Trumby tells governors to classify houses of worship as essential. States rights?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The only good reason to believe anything is because it's true, wouldn't you agree? Why believe things that are false? Every worldview has to be put to a set of tests to see if it's true of false. I won't get into all that here but a local academic has written a good, rigorous explanation of that.
As a non-believer the way I would put it is in terms of utility rather than "fact" or "truth". Independent of what God may require of us, I think religious observance ALSO serves some very real and legitimate needs that at least some people have. One way to say it would be that these practices serve the people as opposed to the people serving these practices. As the needs of the people change the religious observance has - in some instances - also changed. Adapted, even.

None of which touches on what is or isn't actually true about the nature of God and the universe or what it takes to live in harmony with God. I'm only referring to the other additional functions religious adherence serves.

If you are among the faithful and you attend services, surely you've seen people who are there for other reasons besides what is/isn't true. And even if they're not there for the *right* reason, isn't there some virtue for at least being there and making whatever efforts they're making? Even if it's just a transitional stage in their progression. Isn't obedience even in the face of uncertainty also considered a virtue in the church?

Reactions: Billy Ocean

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
please, all you religious folks, go to church. love your neighbors. hug your neighbors. get in a small room with them. ride up and down in elevators, to the top and back, singing loudly praises to the lord! Belt out the hymns and sing, sing, sing!

Reactions: mundus

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
please, all you religious folks, go to church. love your neighbors. hug your neighbors. get in a small room with them. ride up and down in elevators, to the top and back, singing loudly praises to the lord! Belt out the hymns and sing, sing, sing!
let the lord decide who wins and who loses

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad

Or you can go to a bar, suck face with a herpes-infested whooore, and talk sht about how stupid are religious folk. Whatever it takes to reconcile your hatred of them with your advocacy of tolerance and cultural diversity.

Or, you can do both. Sin on Saturday and Worship on Sunday.

• Haha
Reactions: GWS_2

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The only good reason to believe anything is because it's true, wouldn't you agree? Why believe things that are false? Every worldview has to be put to a set of tests to see if it's true of false.
It depends what your definition of "True" is.

A lot the the stuff the dummies here think are true, I wish I thought were true.

It's would lower the resource cost of self regulation.

Which the nervous system love love loves!

So I don't know nothing.

We just duck dove under huge wave. Lots of dudes snapped their leashes and lost their boards.

Only to look outside and see a bigger set wave on the horizon.

Start paddling loosers.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Also re: 1A.

could this be interpreted as government-sponsored religion?
Maybe, but only if it favored one sect over another, like if mosques were forced to remain closed while churches stayed open

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017

Or you can go to a bar, suck face with a herpes-infested whooore, and talk sht about how stupid are religious folk. Whatever it takes to reconcile your hatred of them with your advocacy of tolerance and cultural diversity.
You can do both. Go for it.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
What’s the ruling on AA been?
Has it changed?
I hope all of you who rely on those meetings are all doing ok
I’d offer my help to anyone needing it, but I’d probably say the wrong thing and have an unintended very negative impact

Stay well

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What’s the ruling on AA been?
Has it changed?
I hope all of you who rely on those meetings are all doing ok
I’d offer my help to anyone needing it, but I’d probably say the wrong thing and have an unintended very negative impact

Stay well
I think you would do okay doing AA.

Good AA is about social engagement and positive social priming.

I, on the other hand . . . .

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That's not a
I'm pretty concerned that a "Christian" would post something like this because it's identical to the Islamic view of lesser jihad, not Christianity. Jesus and the apostles didn't take up arms to worship. All of them were martyred except for John who was stuck on an island in the middle of the Mediterrannean. IOW, which Bible is this guy reading? Has he read Romans 13?

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. 7 Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to
whom honor is owed.
(I should probably stop calling Governor Newsom "Governor Patrick Bateman")

There are definitely times to take up arms against a government such as when it's killing its own people, but this isn't one of those times. I'm obviously concerned about loss of liberties, but guys like that are an example of why we're losing them.

It depends what your definition of "True" is.
That's really similar to Pontius Pilate's cynical question, "What is truth?" (John 18:38). The irony is that the opening chapter of John says,
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. 15 (John bore witness about him, and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.’”) 16 For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
" I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ".

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
That's not a

I'm pretty concerned that a "Christian" would post something like this because it's identical to the Islamic view of lesser jihad, not Christianity. Jesus and the apostles didn't take up arms to worship. All of them were martyred except for John who was stuck on an island in the middle of the Mediterrannean. IOW, which Bible is this guy reading? Has he read Romans 13?

(I should probably stop calling Governor Newsom "Governor Patrick Bateman")

There are definitely times to take up arms against a government such as when it's killing its own people, but this isn't one of those times. I'm obviously concerned about loss of liberties, but guys like that are an example of why we're losing them.

That's really similar to Pontius Pilate's cynical question, "What is truth?" (John 18:38). The irony is that the opening chapter of John says,
A government that denies religious freedom is a government that WILL eventually have an uprising against it

Darryl is not calling for this, or even saying its the right thing to do, it is simply a historical fact and has been for eons. If you listened to him, you'd know that he actually would disagree with uprising because of religion. This is one of those times where someone is conflating a statement of fact as an endorsement of that fact. It happens to me all the time

It has nothing to do with Christianity or even monotheism.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
" I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ".
I doubt very much that Ghandi liked our Christ who claimed to be the Son of God (the Word made flesh) and who said, "No one can come to the Father except by me." In fact, Hindus think Christianity is another intolerant religion.

Ghandi was smart to hold "Christians" to their own standards as a means of resistance, but doing so wouldn't have worked against the Mughals who oppressed the Hindus before. He's also being rather ungrateful to the Christian missionaries who established schools, hospitals, a unified written language, and launched the Subcontinent into the modern world. No good deed goes unpunished.

I don't think Ghandi is viewed as highly in India as he is viewed here.

Reactions: GDaddy

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I doubt very much that Ghandi liked our Christ who claimed to be the Son of God (the Word made flesh) and who said, "No one can come to the Father except by me." In fact, Hindus think Christianity is another intolerant religion.

Ghandi was smart to hold "Christians" to their own standards as a means of resistance, but doing so wouldn't have worked against the Mughals who oppressed the Hindus before. He's also being rather ungrateful to the Christian missionaries who established schools, hospitals, a unified written language, and launched the Subcontinent into the modern world. No good deed goes unpunished.

I don't think Ghandi is viewed as highly in India as he is viewed here.
I just like the quote, seems very accurate these days.