Tomo MPH

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I'd suggest a 5'8", but you know me.

And that's not even meant as an ironic 'GMM2' elbow. Seriously I'd say a 5'8", stock thickness but a hair (like 1/4") narrower than stock. That would leave you with a 5'8" x 20" x 2-11/16" board with about 35L of volume.

Reactions: SD_Dan

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Oh how I wish I could still paddle that 5'5 Evo around. Even back then, I shouldn't have been able ride that small dims... There was definitely some XTR stringerless buoyancy magic going on. Before that, I had a 5'7 FW which was fine. I just hated the fragile LFT glassing.
Size it like a TKF / Plasmic. I think you would be fine with any of those sizes 5'6, 5'7, 5'8.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ReForest

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
My Cymatic goes very well with these Tokoros and random quad rears. Such a great board.
The idea for the Tokoros came from watching one of the Used surf fin comparison videos on Youtube. Figured they sounded like a good fin for the board. Got the drive and the right amount of hold but still with the loose feel the Cymatic is known for with this combo.
IMG_1911.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ReForest and SD_Dan

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
That board looks super fast! Those waves he's surfing aren't that big and he's moving pretty quick in transition to get those hacks. Can't wait to see one in person!

Reactions: JDJ

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
It's weird how when compared to the original Vader, that board (in the tedshred video) looks big to me now. :roflmao:
[laughing at myself there]

Reactions: JDJ

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
That board looks super fast! Those waves he's surfing aren't that big and he's moving pretty quick in transition to get those hacks. Can't wait to see one in person!
when did DA say yours will be ready?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Camp Shred was epic! Had a great convo with Tomo about the Dark Arts collab and just catching up in general. I think Dark Arts might need its own page because they are going to start coming out with some sick carbon layups with the collaboration of Tomo and JT. Some new models too! Gonna be super milky!

Reactions: WFCody and JDJ

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Camp Shred was epic! Had a great convo with Tomo about the Dark Arts collab and just catching up in general. I think Dark Arts might need its own page because they are going to start coming out with some sick carbon layups with the collaboration of Tomo and JT. Some new models too! Gonna be super milky!
Never mind the jibber jabber. Ha ha. What did you ride?

Reactions: waxfoot

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Nevermind what he rode. Did he ask Dan for another autographed shirt to frame and hang on his wall?

In all seriousness… @ReForest - stocked to see you so stocked on your new board order. I bet it’s on your mind everyday throughout the day. I feel the same when I know my Burchs and Ospreys are getting close

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I rode the Vader 2.0 and the Hydroshort pintail. The waves at San Elijo were pretty shitty but I did get a nice feel for the boards, and tech.

Surprisingly, the Vader 2.0 felt nothing like the Revo. I was expecting it to feel similar because of the Vee bottom but it was not. It actually felt a lot like the original Vader but since it's wider it felt more stable and actually a little faster. It does have a similar acceleration as the Revo does when you lean into a turn but that wide Vader diamond tail draws out the turn a little more than the Revo. Super sick board. Dan's dims were a little too chunky for me, and I would prefer a more upright quad setup than what he had in the board, but overall it felt sick!

The Hydroshort felt suuuuper good. I love that design as it is, they used a biaxle carbon layup on that one so it had more flex than the Vader. That freakin layup is bad ass! Felt perfect for that board and my weight. They are also experimenting with a PU blank, High Denister Foam Stringer, then wrapped in carbon. They are also talking about introducing Kevlar into the mix too. Some really freakin cool sh!t going on with Dark Arts. I think this whole partnership has really stimulated some creativity amoungst Justin and Tomo. Very excited to see what they introduce at the Boardroom Show this year.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Nevermind what he rode. Did he ask Dan for another autographed shirt to frame and hang on his wall?

In all seriousness… @ReForest - stocked to see you so stocked on your new board order. I bet it’s on your mind everyday throughout the day. I feel the same when I know my Burchs and Ospreys are getting close
It has been. Also, Dark Arts banged these out so fast. They said my board will be ready in a week! :oops::oops:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I rode the Vader 2.0 and the Hydroshort pintail. The waves at San Elijo were pretty shitty but I did get a nice feel for the boards, and tech.

Surprisingly, the Vader 2.0 felt nothing like the Revo. I was expecting it to feel similar because of the Vee bottom but it was not. It actually felt a lot like the original Vader but since it's wider it felt more stable and actually a little faster. It does have a similar acceleration as the Revo does when you lean into a turn but that wide Vader diamond tail draws out the turn a little more than the Revo. Super sick board. Dan's dims were a little too chunky for me, and I would prefer a more upright quad setup than what he had in the board, but overall it felt sick!

The Hydroshort felt suuuuper good. I love that design as it is, they used a biaxle carbon layup on that one so it had more flex than the Vader. That freakin layup is bad ass! Felt perfect for that board and my weight. They are also experimenting with a PU blank, High Denister Foam Stringer, then wrapped in carbon. They are also talking about introducing Kevlar into the mix too. Some really freakin cool sh!t going on with Dark Arts. I think this whole partnership has really stimulated some creativity amoungst Justin and Tomo. Very excited to see what they introduce at the Boardroom Show this year.
How was the weight/buoyancy compared to Helium?? All personal preference but builds as light as helium are just too light for my tastes

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
How was the weight/buoyancy compared to Helium?? All personal preference but builds as light as helium are just too light for my tastes
The Album Twinsman in Dark Arts that I demo'd was very similar in weight of Helium. It was extremely light! The Vader was kinda heavy IMO. It felt like a PU. The Hydroshort felt lighter than the Vader and i'd say it felt like a normal EPS/Epoxy board like Firewire LFT or iBolic.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Those were the best waves at a camp shred probably ever.