Tomo MPH

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I’ll play. it’s been awhile, but they were so fun. Really liked the XTR stringerless ones. Instantly familiar with that quad slot channel running through all of these.
1. GMM2: function over form mushbuster / graveler+. Versatility surprised me in most conditions up to HH. Need another one soon
2. SP2/ Cymatic: in punchy waves, closest thing to a skateboar in a skatepark
3. Evo: rekindled my love for surfing after 30 yrs of HPSB
4. Omni: underrated boar for ledgey drops and carving big faces

Didn’t click with the Sci-Fi. Hated fragile LFT build. Never tried the hydronaut/short or SKX or Vader.

edit: would a stringered 6’8 Omni make for a pretty damn fun “HP” midlength? I bet it just might
CC: @Havoc :p

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and Goodfish

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
My personal top 3:

1) Revo but with the Evo bottom. Needs to be a custom from Aus but board did everything the Evo could do but better and didn’t lose the ability to grovel even though it was more pulled in.

2) SP2. Amazing board in surf with a bit of push. Catches waves so easily and turns very precise.

3) Nano. The first MPH and still works great in most conditions. If I were going custom, it would be for another Nano.

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I wanna know more about the stretched out Vader. I'm at my maximum quiver capacity, but that could still fill a gap.

Only clicked with the couple of Evos I had on a couple of days. Didn't dig...

1) 5'4 LFT Vader that lasted a whole year. By the end, after all the ding repairs, it was a totally different shape. Absolute laser beam while it lasted though.
2) 6'0 Hydronaut. XTR SL-CK. Absolute beast in good, hollow waves. Let me make drops I had no business making.
3) 5'9 Hydroshort. Squash tail. XTR SL-CK. Super fun, responsive and held an edge in head high clean waves. Should never have sold it.

Those are the top 3. Had an XTR 5'5 Vader that didn't have the magic. 5'6 SP2 which was fun, but only when it was clean. 5'6 Nano that went well, but not so memorable. 5'11 Hydronaut that was going well until it was gouged beyond all recognition on some rocks during a typhoon swell. Plus two Evos - 5'4 and 5'6, but both felt funky.

Revo looks interesting, but I will never buy another Fireturd. Always been interested in the GMM2. I feel like a 5'8 with a bit of extra float would be a dream machine for anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ and jkb

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Oh man, ranking them is hard. So many good ones.

1) GMM2 - a step above the rest
2) Deathstar / Psyko / Hydronaut / SKX

Evo was meh for me and I hated the V4.
1. GMM2 as well.
2. V4 round nose, definitely. (could not disagree with you more - just shows different strokes and all)
3. Cybersim

Beyond that... None of the hydro series work for me. None. And not a fan of the Nano and Evo. Wish I'd tried an SKX. Kinda meh on the OB1.

Reactions: jkb and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I had an oversized 5’9 GMM2 which I liked a lot and then sold to fund some new borts. A great design and I agree that you can ride that board with bigger dims and really lose nothing. I tried smaller GMM2s owned by friends and I preferred the way my 5’9 rode over the smaller ones at 5’5 and 5’6.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I had an oversized 5’9 GMM2 which I liked a lot and then sold to fund some new borts. A great design and I agree that you can ride that board with bigger dims and really lose nothing. I tried smaller GMM2s owned by friends and I preferred the way my 5’9 rode over the smaller ones at 5’5 and 5’6.
I want to order a 5'5 for summer, which is considerably bigger than my current 5'1.

I need to start building my own boards so I can take the GMM2 rocker and incorporate it into everything.

Reactions: sh3 and JDJ

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
First ride on a Cymatic for me and luckily in good 3-4’ point waves. First wave on it I knew it was special. Got some cracking waves and the board does what others have said about it. Feels so good on rail and has the trait of going exactly where you want to go on a wave. The Hanaleis were a solid match for the board. New board froth notwithstanding it’s gone straight to best Tomo for me. The Nano and Evo following on.IMG_1863.jpegIMG_1864.jpeg

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Reactions: jkb and sh3

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I wanna know more about the stretched out Vader. I'm at my maximum quiver capacity, but that could still fill a gap.
Tomo is supposed to be releasing more information on this model soon.

The Vader on top is an updated version. You can see the nose is a little longer and has softer curves on the edges. This was an experimental nose -- I am told that he changed the nose so that nose channel is now only on the bottom side. The bottom hull is totally revamped. It doesn't have a VQC all the way down like the new Revo. It has a shallow spine from the nose to about the middle and then smooths out to a QISC. Hilton is calling it "the hero" rocker. lol. The nose rocker has been increased too to avoid any potential pearling or catching. The board looks mental! I've seen some photos and videos and it looks extremely responsive.

Vader-Redux-2.jpeg

Vader-Redux.jpeg

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I went to the Dank Farts factory yesterday to get some info and place my order. I did the full tour with Tony. Tony Curto is an amazing human! He was so generous with his time. Justin is lucky to have that dude. He gave me the quick run down and said that he is taking orders in the next upcoming weeks for Tomo boards. Tomo is going to be overseeing the production of the first batch of orders so now would be a great time to get a custom from him if you live in California. I believe he has a run of 3 models he is releasing. You may be able to order other models, but not sure. All this information is subject to change so don't quote me. lol. The only thing for sure is that Tomo is taking orders for Dark Arts in the next few weeks and my order IS IN!

Dart Arts (2).JPEG

Dart Arts (4).JPEG

Dart Arts (1).JPEG

Dart Arts (3).JPEG

Dart Arts (5).JPEG