Tomo MPH

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Picked up some old school fishes. I had to stash these ones at work though because the wife randomly counted my boards! :oops:

I think she over heard me talking about picking these up. Gonna have to let the dust settle before putting them in the board closet.

View attachment 161795View attachment 161796
You're a believer. Tell her about how pulling into barrels is nigh on a religious experience. Remind her of how the sinners spend all their money on hookers, blow and gambling and the like. If that doesn't work just start commenting on her shoes, handbags or make up purchases. Then come on here and ask in general discussion for a good divorce lawyer recommendation....because you are going to need one.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
You're a believer. Tell her about how pulling into barrels is nigh on a religious experience. Remind her of how the sinners spend all their money on hookers, blow and gambling and the like. If that doesn't work just start commenting on her shoes, handbags or make up purchases. Then come on here and ask in general discussion for a good divorce lawyer recommendation....because you are going to need one.
Haha. I dont know about all of that.
She is born in July, is a Cancer, and loves to argue. Might just continue hiding the ball until she stops looking for it. Seems to work well with the pup we have. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and Retropete
Oct 5, 2021
Couple of recent posts up on Insta looks like Stu Kennedy back riding Tomos again. Anyone have an inside word on what hydroshort 2 will be like - dim changes, rocker, QISC or VISC

Reactions: JDJ

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Picked up a Revo. Perhaps considered a bit of a "safety size" (board 5'10", me 6'0" and 195) but I'm old (47) with a tricky right (rear-foot) hip and frequently wear full winter gear so didn't want to under-size it. Tried many quad combinations (Reactor quad set, Reactor quad plus nubster, Performer quad, etc) and the board often felt a bit off (draggy on takeoff, squirrely as a quad, sluggish with the nub). Beachbreak waves, often (but not always) with good form.

I am aware this board is allegedly optimized as a quad, but I switched over to a thruster (after a few combos settled in on L Mayhem sides and a medium Reactor center) and has been transformed into an electrified mind-machine for this old fart. QISC generates a lot of lift but the thruster setup grants directional control that the quad fins lacked. Shortish length is submissive and fits well into tight pockets and barrels, parallel outline still seems to generate drive when requested.

Disclaimer: FWIW, I've always be a thruster or twin+trailer guy, only a few boards (...lost Bean Bag and Gallery Variant) in my quiver seem to truly shine as quads.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020
NJ
Picked up a Revo. Perhaps considered a bit of a "safety size" (board 5'10", me 6'0" and 195) but I'm old (47) with a tricky right (rear-foot) hip and frequently wear full winter gear so didn't want to under-size it. Tried many quad combinations (Reactor quad set, Reactor quad plus nubster, Performer quad, etc) and the board often felt a bit off (draggy on takeoff, squirrely as a quad, sluggish with the nub). Beachbreak waves, often (but not always) with good form.

I am aware this board is allegedly optimized as a quad, but I switched over to a thruster (after a few combos settled in on L Mayhem sides and a medium Reactor center) and has been transformed into an electrified mind-machine for this old fart. QISC generates a lot of lift but the thruster setup grants directional control that the quad fins lacked. Shortish length is submissive and fits well into tight pockets and barrels, parallel outline still seems to generate drive when requested.

Disclaimer: FWIW, I've always be a thruster or twin+trailer guy, only a few boards (...lost Bean Bag and Gallery Variant) in my quiver seem to truly shine as quads.
Much appreciated on the ride report!

Reactions: ReForest

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Revo vs Cymatic? Won't be ridden as a thruster (after reading Hackey's report) due to bad lower back that reacts poorly to thrusters.
For better waves, points, reefs, tropical jaunts as travel board.
Ibolic vs Volcanic for heavy feet?
Will only be looking at used or new but heavily discounted ones.
Asian vs domestic? Since this is a given.
:bricks:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021
Can’t comment on the cymatic as haven’t ridden one, but for me I use Revo as a fish type board replacement. Anything from waist high to slightly overhead. Loves a point type wave but goes well in beach breaks too. I have taken it out in steeply pitching take off waves and it can do it but honestly I would prefer a more conventional board in good barrelling type waves myself. In less pitching, flatter faced waves or smaller conditions it is absolutely unreal and can turn an average session into a lot of fun. Very efficient shape at catching waves and holding speed. For reference I’m 6’4”, 205-210lbs and riding the 5’9” as a quad.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Can’t comment on the cymatic as haven’t ridden one, but for me I use Revo as a fish type board replacement. Anything from waist high to slightly overhead. Loves a point type wave but goes well in beach breaks too. I have taken it out in steeply pitching take off waves and it can do it but honestly I would prefer a more conventional board in good barrelling type waves myself. In less pitching, flatter faced waves or smaller conditions it is absolutely unreal and can turn an average session into a lot of fun. Very efficient shape at catching waves and holding speed. For reference I’m 6’4”, 205-210lbs and riding the 5’9” as a quad.
Thanks for that. Very helpful.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Used the OB1 for the first time today. Wasn't sure of the fins, so went thruster with CI style template. Worked well. I like that Daniel convinced me to go with a bit more foam (5'9" x 19-1/4" x 2-1/2" - 30.5 L - oh, and it's a PUPE) which is carried out to/through the nose. It isn't thinned out or pointy (duh), but still had a stronger HPSB feel than other boards I've been using.

Only one session, with wonky high tide OH surf, without many corners, but it did work. So far it's a positive and I like it. (for reference, I hated the hydroshort & the last V4 I got was too small, and Dan recommended this one)

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Revo vs Cymatic? Won't be ridden as a thruster (after reading Hackey's report) due to bad lower back that reacts poorly to thrusters.
For better waves, points, reefs, tropical jaunts as travel board.
Ibolic vs Volcanic for heavy feet?
Will only be looking at used or new but heavily discounted ones.
Asian vs domestic? Since this is a given.
:bricks:
Last tomo I had. Cymatic quad is a real good time in punchy waves. It has kind of an electric, almost skittery (in a good way) feel through turns that makes you feel like you're surfing radically.
I'd say size it around your typical volume but as short as you're comfortable paddling... I'm about 180, 6'1, and went with the 5'9 over the 5'8 to get enough float and it was fine. Size down on the fins also as bat-tail seems to add some grip: Medium reactors went great.
I hated the ludicrously fragile LFT build, so replaced it with Havoc's very similar 5'9 "SP2" in stringered XTR. Haven't ridden it in a while- just too many other good boars- but still always fun. If I were to replace it when the XTR dies, I'd go custom PU through Tomo directly.
Again, Cymatic is a really fun design that IMO was probably the pinnacle of DT's evolution of his MPH boards I rode for a couple years. Let us know what you go with

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Last tomo I had. Cymatic quad is a real good time in punchy waves. It has kind of an electric, almost skittery (in a good way) feel through turns that makes you feel like you're surfing radically.
I'd say size it around your typical volume but as short as you're comfortable paddling... I'm about 180, 6'1, and went with the 5'9 over the 5'8 to get enough float and it was fine. Size down on the fins also as bat-tail seems to add some grip: Medium reactors went great.
I hated the ludicrously fragile LFT build, so replaced it with Havoc's very similar 5'9 "SP2" in stringered XTR. Haven't ridden it in a while- just too many other good boars- but still always fun. If I were to replace it when the XTR dies, I'd go custom PU through Tomo directly.
Again, Cymatic is a really fun design that IMO was probably the pinnacle of DT's evolution of his MPH boards I rode for a couple years. Let us know what you go with
Thank you. Very helpful and if I find a bargain basement priced Cymatic in the Volcano jizz build and sized like a mid length I will indeed keep you posted.
:barf:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Bought a dirt cheap Evo brand new instead which is no mean feat since they are discontinued and scrubbed from the website. Threw these in because they have that Tomo hatchety thing going on. Probably way over finned with these but enquiring mind would like to know?
IMG_1567.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ReForest