Tomo MPH

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@silentbutdeadly I've definitely been "racer'd" :LOL: :LOL:

@HSY I dont have a set of controllers but ill look into those. I have the Carver rears, K2.1 rears, and now the PERFORMER rears. lol.

@JDJ nice find! Thanks. I'll look into those too.

Reactions: JDJ

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
@silentbutdeadly I've definitely been "racer'd" :LOL: :LOL:

@HSY I dont have a set of controllers but ill look into those. I have the Carver rears, K2.1 rears, and now the PERFORMER rears. lol.

@JDJ nice find! Thanks. I'll look into those too.
I forgot that you have fcs2. In fcs2, i think they're called split keels? now that @Retropete has confirmed they work well, maybe i'll give them a go as rear fins next time I ride a quad.

Reactions: ReForest

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
So I resisted as long as I could but, making a couple of calls to local shops today, one shop had a Revo at the size I wanted, 5’8”, and as the wiseman says, you only live once.

It’s a performance SB, to be sure, though I thought it has some characteristics that may lend themselves to a few liters over normal HPSB range. I’m 5’11 and 165 lbs.

Best I could find this afternoon was small closed-out beach break, and after about a half hour the lifeguards, with their truck lights and sirens blaring, made me come in because they spotted a shark (I thought it was the sea lion that had been dogging me). Anyway, from what I could tell in those marginal conditions, the bort is light under foot, responsive, and easy to surf. Turns felt unusually smooth, oddly. Maybe that has something to do with the crazy “deep central spine”.

Think I sized it perfectly for me, though I’m unsure about the best fin setup. What sort of quad rears would be best? Would 2+1 be too lose?

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Oh yes... i did listen to that one. He talks about loving the Evo and now trying the Revo.
I think he talks about running Asym set up on his Evo though?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Did you actually try that? If so, what was it like?

It seems like the pivoty rears should be right under foot like this, though I know Tomo suggests that the hatchets go in the back.
I didnt like it at all. It was too stiff and didn't really want to turn.

I think I might try the Tomo hatchet fronts, with an Endorfin middle thruster fin. That might be a cool. thruster set up. :unsure:

Reactions: estreet and jkb

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Finally got a chance to really try the Revo this morning. Rather than do a lot of gushing I'll just say that I had a feeling about this shape and it has exceeded all expectations. Feels kinda like cheating, honestly. Right off the bat I could do maneuvers better and easier than any other board I've tried (haven't tried all that many so this may not be saying all that much).

Used AM's with quad rear performers (aka racer1 reactors). I'm tempted to try the large upright MR twins + trailer next time but I suspect it would maybe be too far on the loose side, and if I know my finology, quads produce more drive than a 2+1 would.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
This is from the RUSTY article (below)

Pointbreak board: double barrel (domed) vee.

Off to the tropics? Shallow, clean, double concaves are usually a good solution. Still get the lift and the bite from the concaves but with some directional enhancement from the spine of the vee. High-speed rail-to-rail transitions are made easier because of the lateral break in the bottom.

MY OPINION:
@sdsrfr. I've never ridden a Vee and this is good confirmation about what I was feeling.
The obvious difference that I can see from the Double Barrel Vee above and Tomo's Vee Quad Concave is the additional concaves running through the center. I think its the same concept of getting quick directional changes, but with the additional concaves on outter part of the board you get more grip and speed once its tipped over on the Vee and you engage the rail.

The bottom turns on the Revo are pretty insane! The first time I rode it, it shot me straight up the face like a rocket. I couldnt even bring it back for a turn. It just shot me straight out the back. I was blown away! ...And all i could do was grin and say to myself "this is the sh!t!" :LOL: :jamon:
I can’t help wondering if that bottom turn spring on the Revo is produced more by the vee quad concave or the “parabolic flex”.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I can’t help wondering if that bottom turn spring on the Revo is produced more by the vee quad concave or the “parabolic flex”.
I firmly believe its the Vee. The flex is great too and I think that helps keep speed through turns, but the sharp directional change is definitely the VQC. Its such a sick board.

I hope Tomo incorporates the Vee bottom into the El Tomo keel because that board has a rad outline, but the tail is so wide it's hard to turn. I a think a more pulled in tail on the El Tomo with a Vee Quad Concave and that board could be next level.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
How'd you guys size your Revos? Looks like a fun shape, but being a snub nosed Tomo makes me hesitant to use usual length/volume benchmarks. :shrug:

Reactions: JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
How'd you guys size your Revos? Looks like a fun shape, but being a snub nosed Tomo makes me hesitant to use usual length/volume benchmarks. :shrug:
My Revo is same size and volume as the Cymatic i rode.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I firmly believe its the Vee. The flex is great too and I think that helps keep speed through turns, but the sharp directional change is definitely the VQC. Its such a sick board.
Guess you're right. I keep looking at it and trying to figure out where the magic comes from, it doesn't seem that unusual a design, though the VQC isn't that obvious unless you look at it right or run your hand along the length of the bottom spine.

How'd you guys size your Revos? Looks like a fun shape, but being a snub nosed Tomo makes me hesitant to use usual length/volume benchmarks.
I intentionally sized it a few liters more than usual for a SB (I have a 5'6 cymatic that feels right, for instance), figuring that it might give it a slightly better range, from groveling to larger waves. It's so lively and easy to surf that I doubt the extra makes much of a difference at all in performance. Also, the bump in volume, low rocker, and maybe the parallel outline, make it an unusually strong paddler/wave catcher for a 5'8 (33L). I'm 5'11 and 160 lbs.

• Love
Reactions: sizzld1