Tomo MPH

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Yes, and totally different from all of the Lost boards that Matt is personally shaping and signing, obviously.

I understand if Dan has grown uncomfortable with this, but everyone knew or could know with minimal diligence that Dan was not personally shaping the XTR US made boards and that customs from Dan himself were not available to the generic consumer until very recently and only through Aus.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
In your comparative idiom, apples are professional instruments or something and oranges are recreational toys?
You can slice it any way you want(see what I did there?;)) But I consider the FW/Slaters in the same category as the Asian made JJFbyPyzel and Crime hard bottom soft tops, but the difference being the FW/Slaters have a hard deck. I’ve only had 2 Tomos, both hand shaped by him and neither were XTR ghost shapes. The only type of Tomo I’d consider adding to my quiver would be a poly shaped one directly from him. Even then I’d probably pass as I’ve moved on from his shapes over a decade ago. I say go buy and ride whatever makes you happy.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
You can slice it any way you want(see what I did there?;)) But I consider the FW/Slaters in the same category as the Asian made JJFbyPyzel and Crime hard bottom soft tops, but the difference being the FW/Slaters have a hard deck. I’ve only had 2 Tomos, both hand shaped by him and neither were XTR ghost shapes. The only type of Tomo I’d consider adding to my quiver would be a poly shaped one directly from him. Even then I’d probably pass as I’ve moved on from his shapes over a decade ago. I say go buy and ride whatever makes you happy.
So what do you tend to ride now? More to the point though, how much $$ did ya make this year so far surfing?

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
So what do you tend to ride now? More to the point though, how much $$ did ya make this year so far surfing?
I’m starting to not understand where you want your argument to go or what my money has to do with it. But I’m not gonna derail this thread by highlighting what I’m riding. Just trust me when I say I ride A LOT of different boards, so there is no quick simple answer to your question. And I made absolutely no money from surfing. In fact, what I spent on boards could literally give some people a heart attack, lol!!:drowning:
PS…I’m going to exit this conversation as I have nothing more to add:shaka:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I’m starting to not understand where you want your argument to go or what my money has to do with it. But I’m not gonna derail this thread by highlighting what I’m riding. Just trust me when I say I ride A LOT of different boards, so there is no quick simple answer to your question. And I made absolutely no money from surfing. In fact, what I spent on boards could literally give some people a heart attack, lol!!:drowning:
PS…I’m going to exit this conversation as I have nothing more to add:shaka:
So not a pro surfer and not a recreational surfer. You must be like me, a soul surfer.

Whatever brings you bliss, soul-brother!

Reactions: JDJ and waxurDyl

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Tomo + Varial = Oh yeah :jamon:
I actually asked him about this too. While he didn't have anything explicitly negative about the tech, he said he didn't really care to work with that type of foam. He'd rather use an EPS or POLY blank.

I agree the tech is new and cool, but it's been proven that it dents easy and I've heard from other shapers that its very dense and difficult to shape.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think it pretty much boils down to "just ride whatever makes you happy". I've never ridden a soft top (and probably never will) but Ben Gravy, Kailani Robb and Jamie O'Brien look they have fun on theirs, and its stokes out a certain group of people.

It sounds like @waxurDyl (Dylan) hasn't ridden a Firewire in a long time, so he might need to get on one and feel the difference. lol. The tech has had some advancements in the last 10 years. lol.

Also, they are definitely not equivalent to a soft top but with a "hard deck". The weight on my Revo came in at under 5lbs -- and the performance and flex is like a stinger less XTR. :jamon: :jamon:

• Haha

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I actually asked him about this too. While he didn't have anything explicitly negative about the tech, he said he didn't really care to work with that type of foam. He'd rather use an EPS or POLY blank.

I agree the tech is new and cool, but it's been proven that it dents easy and I've heard from other shapers that its very dense and difficult to shape.
It would be nice to get a custom Tomo, and Varial is only 10 minutes from my house. Talk him into it! :LOL:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think it pretty much boils down to "just ride whatever makes you happy". I've never ridden a soft top (and probably never will) but Ben Gravy, Kailani Robb and Jamie O'Brien look they have fun on theirs, and its stokes out a certain group of people.

It sounds like @waxurDyl (Dylan) hasn't ridden a Firewire in a long time, so he might need to get on one and feel the difference. lol. The tech has had some advancements in the last 10 years. lol.

Also, they are definitely not equivalent to a soft top but with a "hard deck". The weight on my Revo came in at under 5lbs -- and the performance and flex is like a stinger less XTR. :jamon: :jamon:
Yes ride what ever makes you happy but pretending like fiteturd has reinvented the wheel is over board unless the wheel or "board" you are referring to means producing a product for cheapest possible and marketing to world for maxium profit :socrazy: ya can polish a turd but ya still got a fireturd:bricks:

Reactions: sh3 and surfwhere

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Yes ride what ever makes you happy but pretending like fiteturd has reinvented the wheel is over board unless the wheel or "board" you are referring to means producing a product for cheapest possible and marketing to world for maxium profit :socrazy: ya can polish a turd but ya still got a fireturd:bricks:
Ya just cant help yourself... can you Jimmy. You always gotta throw a little mud whenever possible.

I can talk about the tech all day long -- the advancements made by Firewire in the sandwich construction technology really are incredible. I bet it far exceeds what Bert and Nev imagined (you do remember that the tech was not initially created overseas, right?).

But what I don't understand why you are so hung up on it with Firewire. Lots of companies move their manufacturing to different locations to lower their costs. Tesla moved from CA to TX. Other major car manufactures moved their plants from USA to Mexico or USA to China, etc. Lots of companies do it and I bet you use their products everyday without even batting an eyelash... so why so much hostility towards Firewire?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ya just cant help yourself... can you Jimmy. You always gotta throw a little mud whenever possible.

I can talk about the tech all day long -- the advancements made by Firewire in the sandwich construction technology really are incredible. I bet it far exceeds what Bert and Nev imagined (you do remember that the tech was not initially created overseas, right?).

But what I don't understand why you are so hung up on it with Firewire. Lots of companies move their manufacturing to different locations to lower their costs. Tesla moved from CA to TX. Other major car manufactures moved their plants from USA to Mexico or USA to China, etc. Lots of companies do it and I bet you use their products everyday without even batting an eyelash... so why so much hostility towards Firewire?
Location was never issue the issue is does it improve on pu/pe board glassed by a experienced glasser like advertised? My answer is no and would rather spend less for more on otr board:toilet: When you get a otr CI ultra light you know extactly what you are getting a very user friendly board works for many with a light brittle "glass jaw" glass job CI knows target market while fireturd claims state of art latest greatest tech yet backs up claims by producing boards over sea by someone who most likely has no clue which end is up:monkey:

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Location was never issue the issue is does it improve on pu/pe board glassed by a experienced glasser like advertised? My answer is no and would rather spend less for more on otr board:toilet: When you get a otr CI ultra light you know extactly what you are getting a very user friendly board works for many with a light brittle "glass jaw" glass job CI knows target market while fireturd claims state of art latest greatest tech yet backs up claims by producing boards over sea by someone who most likely has no clue which end is up:monkey:
Your response begs the question -- have you ever tried a Firewire board? Have you ever tried an EPS/Epoxy? Dont knock it till ya tried it Jimmy.
:cheers:

• Haha

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Your response begs the question -- have you ever tried a Firewire board? Have you ever tried an EPS/Epoxy? Dont knock it till ya tried it Jimmy.
:cheers:
Yes I currently own 7 eps/epoxy boards and 2 pu/epoxy boards. 6 of the 7 have cft tech all but one medium and my step up heavy. The other is dft no stringer done in medium and I am very pleased with all my current boards with strength and flex ratio and makes surfing great again for this 52 year old. I would never spend that kind of money for fireturd tech regardless who the board design was from and to be fair ditto goes to xtr and varial which I back both techs and think they are superior to pu/pe I do not like the idea of ghost shaper taking cad design cut and rough cutting board to spec for custom dims with out that custom feel:drowning: If shaper regardless machine not completed foam then sent to xtr or varial I would be in:shaka:@ReForest to bring this thread back maybe you can talk daniel into doing his us hand shapes and sending to stretch factory for glass:cheers:

Last edited:
Reactions: surfwhere

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I don't know enough about shaping to know whether a stock board is more like an ideal expression of a design or more like a general template that's designed, at least in part, to accommodate a wider range of buyers. If the latter is the case, then the ideal expression of a design isn't realized unless it's a custom fit. If the former is the case, then any departure from the ideal form is a degradation of the design. On the other hand, to some degree, a rider adjusts to a board regardless of its ideal form or degraded form.