Tomo MPH

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I wonder why shapers and their minions are unable to type well-constructed sentences? Is it a lack of skill, time or care?

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I rode the stock Firewire Xwing from Japan and it has a lower nose rocker and lower tail rocker than the OB1.
The lower tail rocker on the Xwing feels good and I liked it for the weak waves we were surfing... but I didnt like the lower nose rocker. The nose rocker on the OB1 looks better (IMO) and I feel that functionally a more raised nose rocker helps on steep drops and when doing tight turns.

The tail on the Xwing felt a bit wider than the OB1, but it could have just been the lower rocker.

Obviously, you can customize everything coming direct from Dan... but I like the OB1 better than the stock Xwing. Akira loves his Xwing and he said he rides a stock model.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I rode the stock Firewire Xwing from Japan and it has a lower nose rocker and lower tail rocker than the OB1.
The lower tail rocker on the Xwing feels good and I liked it for the weak waves we were surfing... but I didnt like the lower nose rocker. The nose rocker on the OB1 looks better (IMO) and I feel that functionally a more raised nose rocker helps on steep drops and when doing tight turns.

The tail on the Xwing felt a bit wider than the OB1, but it could have just been the lower rocker.

Obviously, you can customize everything coming direct from Dan... but I like the OB1 better than the stock Xwing. Akira loves his Xwing and he said he rides a stock model.
Hey Defroster, you ever call out Tomo for ripping off Star Wars names or is he too much of a "legend" for that?

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
What's the best, newest model that is good for SoCal waves? Want something for waist to headhigh in slower reef waves. Low rocker, easy paddler with easy speed/glide, must have at least a torpedo nose (didn't like the looks of my old Evo with chopped nose). Looking to place an order for an XTR when they have another sale. Thanks.

Reactions: ANIMA and JDJ

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
What's the best, newest model that is good for SoCal waves? Want something for waist to headhigh in slower reef waves. Low rocker, easy paddler with easy speed/glide, must have at least a torpedo nose (didn't like the looks of my old Evo with chopped nose). Looking to place an order for an XTR when they have another sale. Thanks.

Reactions: oeste858 and ANIMA

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
You pretty much described the Xwing -- I would suggest that model.
You would have to check with XTR to see if they have the file.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I wonder if XTR has the file for the torpedo nose OB1 on Dan’s website. That could be a great board for around here.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I asked last year, but worth asking now. they didn't really seem to be able to modify the outline on the Tomo board files they have.
X-wing sounds like a very flat rocker so could be good in grovel/mush/soft waves aka Japan.
The El Tomos I've seen in the water this year (at slow SD reefs) look good for those conditions too. Guys able to catch a lot of waves on them. Still on my XTR wishlist. I'm hesitant cause I didn't really love that double tail in the CCxTomo Mescaline, and the outline is similar to ElTomo, though maybe closer to V4.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I asked last year, but worth asking now. they didn't really seem to be able to modify the outline on the Tomo board files they have.
X-wing sounds like a very flat rocker so could be good in grovel/mush/soft waves aka Japan.
The El Tomos I've seen in the water this year (at slow SD reefs) look good for those conditions too. Guys able to catch a lot of waves on them. Still on my XTR wishlist. I'm hesitant cause I didn't really love that double tail in the CCxTomo Mescaline, and the outline is similar to ElTomo, though maybe closer to V4.
The rocker on the El Tomo is solid. I had a keel version and I liked everything about it, except for the keel set up. I think it would be really fun as a quad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: oeste858 and ANIMA

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I wonder if XTR has the file for the torpedo nose OB1 on Dan’s website. That could be a great board for around here.
To my knowledge XTR does not have the torpedo OB1 file. I think Dan is holding that one for his AUS customs only ATM.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
You pretty much described the Xwing -- I would suggest that model.
You would have to check with XTR to see if they have the file.
Dims suggestion for a 5.8 x 172# guy, middle ager(normally ride around 31L)? ride at same height or around your nose height?