Today I was the grumpy old dude in the water.... Had to do some yelling

groggylbc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 15, 2006
God damn surf schools!!
I caught a wave....was paddling back out. A nice head high runner came in. An older local who longboards really well started yelling "IM GOING LEFT...LEFT... LEFT!" as he was paddling and taking off and as he is hauling ass down the line. The "surf instructor" pays no attention to it and proceeds to push the beginner right in front of the old dude and causing a pile up. Old guy comes up yelling at the instructor....tells the student "its not your fault, but the instructor should know better." The Instructor takes zero responsibilty and says " well dont surf here then". I couldnt help my self..... I backed up the old dude and told him that its his responsibilty to for the to teach the etiquite and safety to his student. And the kid got lippy with me too...we went back and forth..I wanted to strangle the little fucker. The kid got an earfull by 2 old dudes and never once said "I am sorry" zero ownership ..The arrogance and intitlement was insane.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I'm laughing my ass off. Thanks for trying though. Head high? Not even funny the picture you paint but I'm lmao. Even the kid? Maybe you should surf somewhere else? Just playing.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Punk kids who can tell they're not gonna get hit give zero fucks. If violence seems over the top smashn

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I don’t surf anywhere that sh!t would be happening but if I did I’d spend the rest of my session sitting on those fuckers and get in the way every fckn time.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I was paddling in and Roy (RV) had 4 young ladies he was pushing into waves. Way way inside. There’s so much swell in the water they were close to the harbor break wall.

He yells hi so I paddle over and he says they’re from Brazil. I chat it up with them, teaching them basic Hawaiian words, while Roy is pushing them into knee high whitewash and bumps.

Roy tells them I’m a good surfer and the most alpha of them goes I’m going to get good like you. I tell her bend your knees and keep surfing. Roy pushes the hottie of the bunch into a wave and she’s wobbly. I tell her widen your stance and bend your knees not your waist. Both nod understanding.

Roy knows what’s up and I always hoot for his students and if I’m close give them high fives after a ride. Being young hot Brazilian ladies makes it easier. Haha

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
When it's all summery playtime I'm happy to see em getting something to ride, but the fe nuances of courtesy are definitely rarely taught, half the so called instructors don't even have a clue about it, as we knew it. The internet is full of references toward older angry surfers, gatekeepers and it is with great disdain, as if we're in the wrong as a rule of thumb.
I almost 100% live and let donkey though so I'm part of the problem.
People do get hurt surfing, and everybody needs to learn that

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
I was thinking about this the other day. What if you could convince cities to post a "The Rules of surfing" signs along the beaches. The signs would be written so that a moron could understand them. With big bright pictures and all. It may make an impression and help??

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I find that when you lode your temper its really more about you and what you are going through in life than who you are yelling at. Im sure Mr Longboard could have handled it himself and was probably thinking..." Stop helping". Perhaps time to do some soul searching.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I find that when you lode your temper its really more about you and what you are going through in life than who you are yelling at. Im sure Mr Longboard could have handled it himself and was probably thinking..." Stop helping". Perhaps time to do some soul searching.
In this instance, I'd be going through the stages of grief/rage for being in position for an off-season head high runner, only to have some commercial interest dipshit look right the f--k at me and goon some n00b in.

I took a snowboarding lesson at Mountain High. They taught us edge control and "skating" first to minimize the extent to which we are a danger to ourselves and others waiting our turn in the lift line and getting on the chair.

This is a great moment to give a student practical experience. Look deeper, wave's taken, wait your turn.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
God damn surf schools!!
I caught a wave....was paddling back out. A nice head high runner came in. An older local who longboards really well started yelling "IM GOING LEFT...LEFT... LEFT!" as he was paddling and taking off and as he is hauling ass down the line. The "surf instructor" pays no attention to it and proceeds to push the beginner right in front of the old dude and causing a pile up. Old guy comes up yelling at the instructor....tells the student "its not your fault, but the instructor should know better." The Instructor takes zero responsibilty and says " well dont surf here then". I couldnt help my self..... I backed up the old dude and told him that its his responsibilty to for the to teach the etiquite and safety to his student. And the kid got lippy with me too...we went back and forth..I wanted to strangle the little fucker. The kid got an earfull by 2 old dudes and never once said "I am sorry" zero ownership ..The arrogance and intitlement was insane.
You should find out who the instructor is and periodically schedule lessons with them, and then not show up. This will incrementally waste their time

Doing this randomly from time to time will make it difficult for the instructor to know if lessons are fake or real bookings