Tired of faulty rubbers... (The OFFICIAL why new wetsuits generally blow THREAD)

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Well, looks like the need essentials will be here tomorrow already.

Ordered Sunday/ delivered Tuesday. Cant fook with that. Let ya'll know what i think at least compared to the mid range Rip Curls.
I know others had different experiences but mine leaked from the get go and it seemed like at a certain point , the flood gates opened and the suit it still perfectly in tact. It's a shame since the suit is comfy, (was) warm, and dries really quickly.

Reactions: PRCD

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I know others had different experiences but mine leaked from the get go and it seemed like at a certain point , the flood gates opened and the suit it still perfectly in tact. It's a shame since the suit is comfy, (was) warm, and dries really quickly.
bummer - yea lots of mixed reviews online. we'll see how she goes. got the thermal external liquid taped one chest zip, i guess their highest end lol..

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Seems like the better ones use wider tape and more glue so that 2-3 season have gone by before the water has worked its magic as a universal solvent on the water-based glues.

The glue needs to be oil-based rocket fuel and the seams need to be stitched like the old Body Glove wetsuits that lasted forever.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
want to ruin a wetsuit quickly?
once i let a friend borrow my wetsuit under the condition that he would hang it on a wetsuit hanger in the shade.
he used it and left it in a wad in the sun for 2 days and when unraveled it was now worthless
delaminated, lots of new perma-wrinkles (those later become holes)

u can also ruin a wetsuit by hanging it on a thin (wire is worst) hanger
always leave it it the sun if u want it ruined. sun kinda ruins everything

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Seems like the better ones use wider tape and more glue so that 2-3 season have gone by before the water has worked its magic as a universal solvent on the water-based glues.

The glue needs to be oil-based rocket fuel and the seams need to be stitched like the old Body Glove wetsuits that lasted forever.
I have the second to highest tier suit with what seems like normal tape. What sucks it everything is in great shape for the amount it's been used. It just leaks a lot.

Reactions: PRCD

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
FERAL Wetsuits, anyone tried them? I'm giving them a go this winter.
Have tried a gang of suits.
My best suit was/is a Matuse 4/3 that has lasted 7 years now...I've done some repairs but it's still warm.
I've had 2 out of 3 good Xcel's...1 of them now has lasted 5 years and it was $125 bones on SteepnCheap.
My test for a decent company is if the brand can make a solid 4/3, warm/durable, last at least 3 seasons...any brand should be able to make a 3/2, if you're a wetsuit company and your 3/2's are garbage then that is unacceptable.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
FERAL Wetsuits, anyone tried them? I'm giving them a go this winter.
Have tried a gang of suits.
My best suit was/is a Matuse 4/3 that has lasted 7 years now...I've done some repairs but it's still warm.
I've had 2 out of 3 good Xcel's...1 of them now has lasted 5 years and it was $125 bones on SteepnCheap.
My test for a decent company is if the brand can make a solid 4/3, warm/durable, last at least 3 seasons...any brand should be able to make a 3/2, if you're a wetsuit company and your 3/2's are garbage then that is unacceptable.
I ordered an XL and found that their size chart wasn't very good and they don't answer questions about sizing. I sent it back before using it.

Reactions: Slabsplease

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Not gonna lie, I got one of those fancy ones for a stocking stuffer and I love it. won't snap, suit slides right on and off yadayada

but would I spend my own money on one? Haven't yet.
50x markup on a 30 cent piece of plastic, seems like something a woman would buy :monkey:

the suit slides into a normal hanger easy enough, legs first and a little adjustment at the waist so it's completely flat.

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
spend a few bucks and make a pvc dry rack (breaks apart)

or spend 40 bucks and get a bamboo dry rack (folds down)

You wont regret either - easy to pack on a road trip

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
yep/ but it's 100 times stronger and slides on way easier. not justifying it, just saying/

I snap those cheap hangers all the time.

but like I said, it wasn't my dime