Tired of faulty rubbers... (The OFFICIAL why new wetsuits generally blow THREAD)

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Hate getting new wetsuits. Mostly because, over the decades, it's been a noticable decline in their quality.

I still have an ONiell from the 90's that's intact and is the warmest most flexible 4/3 I've ever owned.

However after that, it seems they just fall apart at the seams, the inside tape seals come off, the zipper area has a malfunction, the wrists or ankles fray, the shoulders thin out to were your lycra top is thicker, etc, etc, etc...

:socrazy::shrug::socrazy:

What gives with wetsuit quality decline, and is there any manufacturers who've maintained quality over time? Forget the usual, Rip Curl, Billabong, ONiell, etc...

Are those vissla things, or the rvca, or hurleys worth a try? Or will it be the sure let down that all the rest are? What about those custom Japanese jobs, Yamamoto, etc .... worth the price?

Illuminate me oh great wealth of erBB wisdom.

Also, anyone else stocking up on new rubbers?

:shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Vissla, Hurley, Adelio, Billabong, Quiksilver, Xcel, Narval are all ok. However I refuse to believe that any winter wetty can retain most of its warmth after 2 seasons.

PS. You could support a Spanish wetsuit company. Narval come with the rubber sealer on the external seams, I have a 3/2 and 4/3 which I am happy with.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There's about 100 pages on this over on the design forum.

There are still companies making quality wetsuits. But very few. And very few of the major manufacturers are doing so.

In short:

Marketing has sold people on thinner neoprene being just as warm with "new tech" (it isn't, and it wears faster)

Smoothie has been removed from most suits. No more wind protection.

Poor glues and stitching.

Your wetsuit isn't built to last.

Last edited:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
like i said 100 times, this is wack

my old ass quicksilver suit is just now failing had it for years, went and looked at some new Xcels and the stitching looked stressed already.

Reactions: PRCD

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
always had good luck with rip curl and they fit me well with the MT but...they havent been in stock anywhere. I also dont think you need a crazy expensive suit here in socal. mid range - good booties youre fine.

I just ordered a need essentials because they were in stock. rolling the dice on something new

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
always had good luck with rip curl and they fit me well with the MT but...they havent been in stock anywhere. I also dont think you need a crazy expensive suit here in socal. mid range - good booties youre fine.

I just ordered a need essentials because they were in stock. rolling the dice on something new
Decent suit but not as good as Vissla.

Reactions: CutnSnip

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A suit lasts one year.
I got one in DEcember and the seams were parting by the end of the winter (3 months) The water-based glues suck and the wetsuits need stitching or forget it. THis is why the mid-range seem to last longer. The mid-range suits have fabric on the neoprene that can be stitched and adds to the durability even if the glues suck.

Like Casa said on the other thread, get a custom from a local maker who stands behind his work.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Rinse with fresh water until your wife yells at you some bullshit about droughts, wasting water, put noise canceling headphones on and rinse it some more.

Dry in the shade. Hang on a thick hanger and flip the legs over the shoulders.

Never EVER let it dry without a thorough rinse.

Anyone complaining about modern wetsuits either didn’t surf cold water before 1990 or doesn’t take care of their sh!t.

Wetsuits have never been better than they are today.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Rinse with fresh water until your wife yells at you some bullshit about droughts, wasting water, put noise canceling headphones on and rinse it some more.

Dry in the shade. Hang on a thick hanger and flip the legs over the shoulders.

Never EVER let it dry without a thorough rinse.

Anyone complaining about modern wetsuits either didn’t surf class ps water before 1990 or doesn’t take care of their sh!t.

Wetsuits have never been better than they are today.
wrong. I followed all these care instructions.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
90s wetsuits sucked ass but were better than 80s wetsuits.

I am amenable to the suggestion xcel slipped a step in the past few years. But give me the dank hew hyphy, my wizards.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I have an old Xcel that I keep as a midseason suit. It's got to be at least ten years old. The rubber is probably porous but the seams are still holding and it has not fallen apart.

My current suit is a 4/3 Ripcurl back zip that I got for $150. You can't really go wrong at that price. I'm about to start my third season although last season it got light use due to injury. Some of the tape is peeling but I figure I can get through another SoCal season.

ps wearing a hood makes cold water much more tolerable no matter the suit...and helps you avoid the surgeon's drill or chisel...

Reactions: Mr Doof and PRCD

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Has it dawned on you that water-based "eco" glues are not the right solution for aquatic applications? Would you build a boat with Tight Bond II?
Don’t buy “eco” wetsuits

This attitude is why you got flamed for your Tyson take.
I got flamed for a misrepresentation of what I said as opposed to what I actually said.