Time to Wax Rhino Chaser

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
It's booming out front my new place in S. OR. Was looking about 15-20ft faces at sunset out my backyard (up about 400 ft), and it's just the beginning.

Supposed to peak overnight, but still be in the 30ft + face range in the AM tomorrow.
Would've loved to see it at it's peak tonight. Supposed to be 35-40 ft.

Sounds big, and reminds me of the big bomb days/nights I heard from my cottage in Princeville on big 30-40ft winter swells.

Regarding the big snow dump, issue is, the next storm behind is supposed to be warm at first with snow levels jumping back up to 10,000+ ft in a couple days. Then dropping down to 5000 ft again. Will be interesting to see how much is intact after this series of storms.

Winds have been pretty strong here the last couple days right on the coast, but SSE, so side/side-off shore most part.
Wide beaches at low-medium tides are about gone completely.

I love witnessing REAL weather events, instead of just seeing them on TV. We've had more rain the last 3-4 days than So Cal gets in a month in a decent winter. But, it hasn't been cold. It was weird for a few hours on Thursday AM of first storm in series. It got real warm (68+) for a few hours, with a dry wind from the SE blowing in ahead of the rain front. Last few days it's been high of 54-56, but lows only 50-52. Very tight temp windows right now. Ocean controls everything here.

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
BC to S. OR is gnarballs next few days:crazy2:

View attachment 118262
The center of that bad boy is supposed to lift straight north and dissipate the next couple days.

But, the trailing edge will hammer Nor Cal more than S. Oregon and northward.

So Cal will get a taste of it later Monday, but nothing like Nor Cal.

Winds might even be lighter tomorrow afternoon in my S. OR hood. But will likely be an out of control giant mess.
Hasn't rained much since early this afternoon. Deck is still dry tonight.

That will likely change later tomorrow, and the day after, and day after, for the rest of the winter until May.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
There were windows to get some fun little waves yesterday, especially just before dark, but the 30mph winds mid day were doing a number at OB.

Driving sucked yesterday.

Cats are heading into HMB today but it looks pretty much unrideable. Maybe they'll get lucky toward the end of the day.

Reactions: santacruzin