Time is on my side...yes it is

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Money can buy you a LOT of time
:shameonyou:

Can it though?

1st day of college, Econ 101, prof spent the 1st 10 minutes with a hypothetical question... "say you own absolutely everything in the entire world. All of it, yours. You lay on your deathbed, surrounded by all 'your' best physicians on the planet, and you offer them all you have for just one more second of life. They cannot provide that, can they? So children, all the money in the world, ALL OF IT, is not worth one second of life. Is it?".

:shrug:

Chasing said painted pieces of paper, nay digital entries (literally ones snd zeros), is worth about the same.

:crazy2:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Time can pay other people, other machines, airplanes, you name it. Any one of which saves you massive amounts of time. It can’t buy you additional time at the end of your life. it can and does buy me a metric ton more time to do whatever I want; whenever and however I choose to do it. So yes it buys me time in the present moment. And the present is when time matters most.

What the hell do I know or care about my deathbed? At that point I’ll just want a heroin drip and a good dry Lanai to watch the ocean spray and the monkeys play on my way out of here. I won’t be begging some doctor to take my last 100k earmarked for the lame nephew and try to get me a few more days of invalid misery. That ain’t the kind of time I’m earning to pay for.

Easy example for those of us who like to travel. You search flights to Kauai to go surf and hang out with Peter and the gang. You see that there is a flight for $1000 that will get you to Lihue at 3 pm local. Or for $750 you can have a 5 hour layover in PHX and arrive Lihue at 8 pm. That $250 you spend for the faster connection just gave you 5 hours of your life that would have been utterly wasted at PHX.

ergo money buys time

Also that professor should be fired with cause and run out of academia. I don’t mind left leaning business professors. I had a bunch at Stern. But even the lefties didn’t pretend like it wasn’t imperative that people have to work in order to obtain things with which to trade barter or buy items from other people.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
chubes = time stoppers

more chubes = more life

therefore get chubed as much as you can

But seriously. We really are just here for a blink. One of my passions in life is growing Lignum Vitae trees(Guaiacum officinale and Guaiacum sanctum) and they can live for over 1000 years, I don't think anyone knows how long they can actually live. A very special tree. Puerto Rico has one called El Centario that is between 800-1000 years.

So can you imagine that some of these living trees on our earth have been here since the year 1000. They've seen it all and will be here after humans have extincted themselves (although I'm hopeful we can get humanity back on track).

With the creation of the electron microscope and the Hubbel telescope, humans have a perspective into the beauty of the cosmos that no other species has experienced. Except we have separated ourselves from "nature".

In conclusion, have a timeless mindset and realize the water and matter that forms your body is ancient and the energy contained within will not die with the flesh but will be transformed into something no human really knows and science can't explain.

Reactions: Chocki and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I dig all that. So I’m doing the universe and the local economy a service by outsourcing as many time sucking activities as I can

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Ok, @Subway ..... but did you read the part in my post about the question being hypothetical? :poke:

We clearly do not live in hypothesis.

It's just food for thought, to not get too hung up on numbers is all.

Jeez. :foreheadslap:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Since caca posts whateva tf he wants on a surfer forum here we go.

Time>Money

“now you always say…
that you want to be free…”

it’s hard to hang out on the beach, surftrip, drive a nice car, fvck pretty chicks, live somewhere cool, without some $$$….

usually need to spend some time making it…

trust funder- out! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Subway

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
chubes = time stoppers

One of my passions in life is growing Lignum Vitae trees(Guaiacum officinale and Guaiacum sanctum) and they can live for over 1000 years, I don't think anyone knows how long they can actually live. A very special tree. Puerto Rico has one called El Centario that is between 800-1000 years.

So can you imagine that some of these living trees on our earth have been here since the year 1000. They've seen it all and will be here after humans have extincted themselves (although I'm hopeful we can get humanity back on track).
You're the only guy I've ever heard talk about Lignum Vitae besides my dad. When I was a kid he told me that it was the hardest wood on earth, so hard that is was used for ships propeller shaft bearings and that it was kept under water in tanks in the shipyard because it had to be kept wet.

Reactions: Hump and Chocki

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Ok, @Subway ..... but did you read the part in my post about the question being hypothetical? :poke:

We clearly do not live in hypothesis.

It's just food for thought, to not get too hung up on numbers is all.

Jeez. :foreheadslap:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:
Too hung up? You’ve been here way too long to be shocked at such eccentricities. I mean really; who cares about ANY of this stuff

I work because I make the money to do epic sh!t on a regular basis. Whether thats a plate full of Santa Barbara uni tonight before a bunch of Negiri. Or the time I save by having someone else scrub my kitchen and toilets. And my work though high stakes is sometimes fun and I can also just tune it out for a few hours as needed (or weeks)

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
You're the only guy I've ever heard talk about Lignum Vitae besides my dad. When I was a kid he told me that it was the hardest wood on earth, so hard that is was used for ships propeller shaft bearings and that it was kept under water in tanks in the shipyard because it had to be kept wet.
So cool that your dad knew about these trees and taught you about them.

Yes the wood is not only very dense but incredibly resinous giving it life long self-lubricating properties.

Aircraft carriers, nuclear subs, hydroelectric dams, all used this wood for shaft bearings. When the wood was phased out to synthetic materials, the alternatives were not up to par and had shorter lifespan.

There is a company specializing in making these bearings for these same applications: https://lignumvitaesolutions.com/

Besides the aforementioned applications, the wood has also been used in the marine industry for centuries. Block and tackle, fids, etc.

They were also used for police batons in England.

When the Europeans were colonizing the Caribbean, the indigenous peoples showed them the highly medicinal properties of the resin or Guaiac oil. It’s been said to have cured Syphillus.

There are two main species. The Guaiacum officinale is predominantly found in the Caribbean. Guaiacum sanctum also known as roughbark Lignum Vitae is found in the Bahamas, Florida, Central America and South America. In fact there is a Lignum Vitae Cay in the Florida Keys.

The national flower of the Bahamas and Jamaica is the Lignum Vitae.

I am enamored with these trees and have a wide variety of ages on my property. We have about 200 going in our nursery now with plans to make a map of all the larger specimens in our region and do planting projects to r establish the populations. Incredibly drought and salt tolerant. I also have plans to start a memorial tree service where people can obtain one of these trees from our nursery and then plant one somewhere to commerate a loved one. How special to have a tree capable of living over a 1000 years to be planted in memory of someone.

Here I am having a moment with a larger specimen onisland o Ay-Ay as the Tainos called it. This one is probably about 400-600 years old.
7FE8B486-DAF2-4A48-9AFF-A22C973EC7F3.jpeg

Feel free to check out our farm page. Guayacan was the indigenous name for these trees.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
So cool that your dad knew about these trees and taught you about them.

Yes the wood is not only very dense but incredibly resinous giving it life long self-lubricating properties.

Aircraft carriers, nuclear subs, hydroelectric dams, all used this wood for shaft bearings. When the wood was phased out to synthetic materials, the alternatives were not up to par and had shorter lifespan.

There is a company specializing in making these bearings for these same applications: https://lignumvitaesolutions.com/

Besides the aforementioned applications, the wood has also been used in the marine industry for centuries. Block and tackle, fids, etc.

They were also used for police batons in England.

When the Europeans were colonizing the Caribbean, the indigenous peoples showed them the highly medicinal properties of the resin or Guaiac oil. It’s been said to have cured Syphillus.

There are two main species. The Guaiacum officinale is predominantly found in the Caribbean. Guaiacum sanctum also known as roughbark Lignum Vitae is found in the Bahamas, Florida, Central America and South America. In fact there is a Lignum Vitae Cay in the Florida Keys.

The national flower of the Bahamas and Jamaica is the Lignum Vitae.

I am enamored with these trees and have a wide variety of ages on my property. We have about 200 going in our nursery now with plans to make a map of all the larger specimens in our region and do planting projects to r establish the populations. Incredibly drought and salt tolerant. I also have plans to start a memorial tree service where people can obtain one of these trees from our nursery and then plant one somewhere to commerate a loved one. How special to have a tree capable of living over a 1000 years to be planted in memory of someone.

Here I am having a moment with a larger specimen onisland o Ay-Ay as the Tainos called it. This one is probably about 400-600 years old.
View attachment 153539

Feel free to check out our farm page. Guayacan was the indigenous name for these trees.
Nice tree - bark looks like a Sycamore. Your farm looks nice, too. The Lignumvitaesolutions webpage link you posted is cool. I didn't know that it was still going strong. Water lubricated bearings. What a great idea - one problem with lube oil is moisture contamination - nice to just use water to start with! I like the way they put small pieces of Lignumvitae in channels in the bearings. In the '90's I used to hand drill a lot of 3/32" holes through about 1/16" steel while building control panels. Rather than using cutting oil I just kept a cup of water and dipped the bit in it, starting the hole with a bubble of water surrounding the bit then a second dip 1/2 way through maybe if the water all turned to steam. And each dip into the water cup cooled the bit too. The water turning to steam kept the bit cool and I got good bit life without having to clean up oil. I have seen that now machine shops are using pumped water or a water/oil mixture over their cutting and drilling operations and getting better tool life than with regular oil.

Reactions: Hump

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Time can pay other people, other machines, airplanes, you name it. Any one of which saves you massive amounts of time. It can’t buy you additional time at the end of your life. it can and does buy me a metric ton more time to do whatever I want; whenever and however I choose to do it. So yes it buys me time in the present moment. And the present is when time matters most.

What the hell do I know or care about my deathbed? At that point I’ll just want a heroin drip and a good dry Lanai to watch the ocean spray and the monkeys play on my way out of here. I won’t be begging some doctor to take my last 100k earmarked for the lame nephew and try to get me a few more days of invalid misery. That ain’t the kind of time I’m earning to pay for.

Easy example for those of us who like to travel. You search flights to Kauai to go surf and hang out with Peter and the gang. You see that there is a flight for $1000 that will get you to Lihue at 3 pm local. Or for $750 you can have a 5 hour layover in PHX and arrive Lihue at 8 pm. That $250 you spend for the faster connection just gave you 5 hours of your life that would have been utterly wasted at PHX.

ergo money buys time

Also that professor should be fired with cause and run out of academia. I don’t mind left leaning business professors. I had a bunch at Stern. But even the lefties didn’t pretend like it wasn’t imperative that people have to work in order to obtain things with which to trade barter or buy items from other people.
Nice post but I do find some of it a bit contradictory. Like where you say that "the present is when time matters most" and then go on to say five hours of life is utterly wasted at PHX. That seems to suggest that you're living for Kauai time and not the present. It's not easy to live in the present, I'll be the first to admit that, and I'd gladly pay extra to arrive in Lihue at 3 as opposed to 8, though I do know that living in the present can be rewarding also.

In the Scientific American article, the Roman playwright Plautus objected to the new fad of timekeeping via a character in one of his plays: “The gods damn that man who first discovered the hours, and—yes—who first set up a sundial here, who’s smashed the day into bits for poor me! You know, when I was a boy, my stomach was the only sundial, by far the best and truest compared to all of these.... But now what there is, isn’t eaten unless the sun says so. In fact, town’s so stuffed with sundials that most people crawl along, shriveled up with hunger.”

Also, I don't see the hypothetical question of SurfFuerteventura's professor as necessarily leftist in nature. In any case, in my opinion it's better to live for meaning than money, not that they can't coincide.

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Nice post but I do find some of it a bit contradictory. Like where you say that "the present is when time matters most" and then go on to say five hours of life is utterly wasted at PHX. That seems to suggest that you're living for Kauai time and not the present. It's not easy to live in the present, I'll be the first to admit that, and I'd gladly pay extra to arrive in Lihue at 3 as opposed to 8, though I do know that living in the present can be rewarding also.

In the Scientific American article, the Roman playwright Plautus objected to the new fad of timekeeping via a character in one of his plays: “The gods damn that man who first discovered the hours, and—yes—who first set up a sundial here, who’s smashed the day into bits for poor me! You know, when I was a boy, my stomach was the only sundial, by far the best and truest compared to all of these.... But now what there is, isn’t eaten unless the sun says so. In fact, town’s so stuffed with sundials that most people crawl along, shriveled up with hunger.”

Also, I don't see the hypothetical question of SurfFuerteventura's professor as necessarily leftist in nature. In any case, in my opinion it's better to live for meaning than money, not that they can't coincide.
Well, good point. That time I spend in a layover, or riding the train 45 minutes each way 3x per week, I at least try to make the most of it by reading, or even trolling, I mean, browsing, the forum, maybe getting work done (which, while not fun, per se, is at least productive)

making every moment actually count is a tall order. I try to enjoy even the mundanities of life as much as I can, and being eccentric goes a long way in that endeavor.

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Being present, the 24 hour a day sport.

Once you master it during waking hours,
Then comes the real cluster fuck,
Trying to be present in your dreams.

:foreheadslap:

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Mastering dreams. I have heard tales of such wizardry

After my drinking dreams ran their course in early sobriety, l haven’t even remembered any dreams upon waking, let alone mastered them in situ