Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What about that vs the Rusty Blackbird? I'm just starting to get into getting a real step up after the run of waves we had and my buckled board. It seems the Rusty is a good all around step-up, no?
Ive got a 6-10 Blackbird. It's great. I rate it highly.

Its got a bit more of a gunny, stable, glidey feel to it vs. the Warhawk which feels more lively and easier to turn. I think the WH has more concave and more tail rocker. Outline wise they are suprisingly similar. They both carry some thickness forward along the stringer. I think the BB has slightly thinner rails at the same center thickness.

I would choose the BB for more bigger, open ocean wave hunting and the WH for steeper waves, tubes, waves where you want to do turns.

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
Looking to add a Flare to my quiver. I was wondering how those of you who ride that model size them. Most of my boards usually have a little extra volume. But I was thinking of dropping a couple liters on the Flare. Is it pretty forgiving? I'm 5'9, 170#s and three weeks away from turning 50. Would probably go with a 5'10 stock dims.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I ride mine at standard shortboard volume. Thinking of going up a tad on my next one only cause mine has more rocker and is pulled in more than stoke.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Looking to add a Flare to my quiver. I was wondering how those of you who ride that model size them. Most of my boards usually have a little extra volume. But I was thinking of dropping a couple liters on the Flare. Is it pretty forgiving? I'm 5'9, 170#s and three weeks away from turning 50. Would probably go with a 5'10 stock dims.
I guess it depends on what you are after. Most people probably go with @ or slightly above their normal volume. You will probably lose a little paddle power and low end but gain some responsiveness by going with less volume. That said, those dims seem pretty reasonable for your height, weight and age.

Reactions: OsideBum

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Mine is sized a couple liters under my normal volume. I wouldn't change it if I ordered another. It gets into waves and has plenty of speed. When I'm on my flare, the waves aren't consequential enough to need extra foam for paddling.

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
I guess it depends on what you are after. Most people probably go with @ or slightly above their normal volume. You will probably lose a little paddle power and low end but gain some responsiveness by going with less volume. That said, those dims seem pretty reasonable for your height, weight and age.
My daily driver is a 5’10 stock dim RNF 96 that comes in around 35 liters. I also have a Stamps Rerun that’s 6’1 I can’t remember the rest of the dims off the top of my head but the volume is similar to the RNF96 for what that’s worth. I’m looking to add a thruster to the quiver that’s a little smaller than the Rerun and maybe a little more HP than the RNF96. I surf NCSD beach breaks mostly. I was thinking the 5’10 Flare might fit that bill.

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach
Looking at the Scarecrow or Warhawk as a better wave compliment to my Grinder X. Not as a step up, just a more HP shortboard for good conditions/hollow,etc. Any feedback on those two? I've only seen a scarecrow in person and it had a different rail foil to it. Felt good under arm but I feel like I've heard comments that the Warhawk is a little better.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Looking at the Scarecrow or Warhawk as a better wave compliment to my Grinder X. Not as a step up, just a more HP shortboard for good conditions/hollow,etc. Any feedback on those two? I've only seen a scarecrow in person and it had a different rail foil to it. Felt good under arm but I feel like I've heard comments that the Warhawk is a little better.
I've had a few normal Scarecrows over the years and one round pin Scarecrow step up. I've had a Warhawk step up for about year. Dims on both step ups are pretty similar (6-6).

The Warhawk's got a little more foam forward and maybe a slightly different rocker profile so it paddles into waves a bit better. It's a little looser and more lively off the tail, in a good way. I think it's got a little deeper concave and more tail rocker. It's a good tube board and inspires confidence in bigger surf but it is also really fun in just overhead, pockety stuff. Not a mushbuster but that's not what I got it for. TBH I think it's overall just a better, more modern design and when I get another thruster from Tim it will be another one, just have to decide whether to go squash or round tail.

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach
That sounds like just what I'm looking for. I don't feel like my GX is holding me back much but I did order it when I was 10lbs heavier and surfing less frequently. I'm out there daily now and just want something for what you described (tubes, HH+ pockety stuff). I sent an email to Tim. Thanks Aruka!:cheers:

Reactions: Brsnstein and Aruka

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'd say the Flare is one of the most forgiving borts I've owned. I'm 6', 172 (ish) lbs. and 52 years old. I ride a stoke 5'8 (Varial) which was originally about a liter more than I usually ride, but it's perfect.

Coming off two DD's that are around 35L, stepping down to 32.6L may make the Flare feel sluggish to paddle around. What conditions would you grab the Flare as opposed to your RNF96 or Rerun? I feel the RNF96 is pretty performancy. I have a 5'6.5" Fuse that is not too disimiliar from an RNF96 and I actually ride that when there's a little more punch since the rails ended up more refined than my Flare's. Both borts and my Kai-Zen twin are really close in volume (29ish). I sarf LA's South Bay beaches 95% of the time.

Reactions: OsideBum and JDJ