Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
I'd say the Flare is one of the most
I'd say the Flare is one of the most forgiving borts I've owned. I'm 6', 172 (ish) lbs. and 52 years old. I ride a stoke 5'8 (Varial) which was originally about a liter more than I usually ride, but it's perfect.

Coming off two DD's that are around 35L, stepping down to 32.6L may make the Flare feel sluggish to paddle around. What conditions would you grab the Flare as opposed to your RNF96 or Rerun? I feel the RNF96 is pretty performancy. I have a 5'6.5" Fuse that is not too disimiliar from an RNF96 and I actually ride that when there's a little more punch since the rails ended up more refined than my Flare's. Both borts and my Kai-Zen twin are really close in volume (29ish). I sarf LA's South Bay beaches 95% of the time.
That’s what I was thinking, the Flare at that size wouldn’t paddle as well. The Rerun is great but it’s tuned for better waves. The RNF96 is a great surfboard as a twin and a twin plus trailer. No complaints at all about it. I’m looking for a shorter thruster that will excel in waist to head high beach breaks and the occasional point or reef.

Reactions: ChaseTMP and JDJ

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
That’s what I was thinking, the Flare at that size wouldn’t paddle as well. The Rerun is great but it’s tuned for better waves. The RNF96 is a great surfboard as a twin and a twin plus trailer. No complaints at all about it. I’m looking for a shorter thruster that will excel in waist to head high beach breaks and the occasional point or reef.
Ive been liking my Sharpeye cheat code a lot in those conditions. Swallowtail version

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I don’t know the dims on your Rerun but I would also recommend a smaller version. Mine is 5’10, 20.25, 2 9/16. You can do 5’10, 20.5, 2 5/8. But the Flare will be slightly more tuned for slopey waves.

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
I don’t know the dims on your Rerun but I would also recommend a smaller version. Mine is 5’10, 20.25, 2 9/16. You can do 5’10, 20.5, 2 5/8. But the Flare will be slightly more tuned for slopey waves.
I know Tim will steer me in that direction. He super pumped on the Rerun. Mine is 6’1, 20.25 and 2.63.

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ